Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

+1

I'd also like to know why I can't see the mule deer units from last fall or find the switch to turn on the elk units. Should be really intuitive (like in Map Layers), but it ain't. Strangely, the mule deer units are showing up on my cell tonight, but not on the computer.

Tech is good if it isn't a weapon? mtmuley

That's what I have always done. Not quite sure where you are coming from, but I could make some guesses.

+1

I'd also like to know why I can't see the mule deer units from last fall or find the switch to turn on the elk units. Should be really intuitive (like in Map Layers), but it ain't. Strangely, the mule deer units are showing up on my cell tonight, but not on the computer.

mine works fine, phone and pc

mine works fine, phone and pc

STrangely, my laptop has none of the coverages, like private lands, hunt units, walk-ins, etc. But my cell does. I'm missing a button somewhere, but I don't know why or how to get it back. I will have to call I guess. My subscription still has 5 months to run.

STrangely, my laptop has none of the coverages, like private lands, hunt units, walk-ins, etc. But my cell does. I'm missing a button somewhere, but I don't know why or how to get it back. I will have to call I guess. My subscription still has 5 months to run.

All you need to do is go into the Map Layers menu, find the Hunting Units, then tap on Layer settings, find the Sub-Layers section and you can change the species boundaries that are displayed on the map.
If your other layers are not displayed in the Map Layers menu as well, then you will just need to make sure they are added over from the Layer Library.
This page walks you through how to do that as well. http://bit.ly/LayerLibrary

If you need additional help, our phone number is 406-540-1600.

Last edited:
All you need to do is go into the Map Layers menu, find the Hunting Units, then tap on Layer settings, find the Sub-Layers section and you can change the species boundaries that are displayed on the map.
If your other layers are not displayed in the Map Layers menu as well, then you will just need to make sure they are added over from the Layer Library.
This page walks you through how to do that as well. http://bit.ly/LayerLibrary

If you need additional help, our phone number is 406-540-1600.

There is no Hunt Layer in My Layers or in the Layer Library. That is the problem. I have some coverages like RMEF, CWD, Pairire Dogs, Precipitation, Wilderness, and so forth, but no Hunt Units on the webbrowser. Hitting Control f5 or just f5 does not help.

There is no Hunt Layer in My Layers or in the Layer Library. That is the problem. I have some coverages like RMEF, CWD, Pairire Dogs, Precipitation, Wilderness, and so forth, but no Hunt Units on the webbrowser. Hitting Control f5 or just f5 does not help.

Give us a call so we can walk through some additional steps to get you up and running.

onX Hunt has launched their new APP today (July 31). Many of you were asked to be BETA testers. The new versions have all the same features on the both the smart phone APP and the desktop WebMAP. The new user interface is great. I think you will like that new interface, along with some of the new layers.

I have a question: Can you log into an account with your phone AND a computer at the same time? Will it mess anything up if you were out in the field using your phone and someone at home (wife) logged into your account to check your "track/time and date stamped markers" given no cell coverage.

Has anyone used OnX in this manner in order to keep in contact with loved ones given no cell coverage. Time and date stamped markers with a note (Stopped here to view some Elk. doing Ok...). If your loved one has your account info She/He could log into your account on a home computer and see where you were for the day, time and your way point notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
ntodwild, that's a cool idea, but unless you have cell coverage, your notes and tracks won't upload, so she won't see anything new until you get in cell contact and you could call anyway. Still an interesting way to keep others "in the hunt" even if they can't be there.

ntodwild, that's a cool idea, but unless you have cell coverage, your notes and tracks won't upload, so she won't see anything new until you get in cell contact and you could call anyway. Still an interesting way to keep others "in the hunt" even if they can't be there.

Have you actually tested that theory? I would think that if your marking a track via satellite nav it would show up in your ONx account weather you have cell coverage or not? Maybe I am wrong on this but I thought because you don't need cell coverage to track or mark a way point it would record into your account when you make a track or way point marker???? I honestly don't know since I don't own Onx.

Any ONx people out there that can answer this??? Not that I am disregarding you BrentD.

I am not only thinking during the hunt but during scouting in the field during the off season. Don't take my post the wrong way. I honestly don't know how much of an Onx user you are or your experience with the product is. If you have tested this and are absolute then thank you. Its the answer I am looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you actually tested that theory? I would think that if your marking a track via satellite nav it would show up in your ONx account weather you have cell coverage or not? Maybe I am wrong on this but I thought because you don't need cell coverage to track or mark a way point it would record into your account when you make a track or way point marker???? I honestly don't know since I don't own Onx.

Any ONx people out there that can answer this??? Not that I am disregarding you BrentD.

I am not only thinking during the hunt but during scouting in the field during the off season. Don't take my post the wrong way. I honestly don't know how much of an Onx user you are or your experience with the product is. If you have tested this and are absolute then thank you. Its the answer I am looking for.

Yes, I've tested that, but think about it and you can see you don't have to test it. When you are in "airplane mode" because you are out of cell coverage or because you are conserving power, your phone is not transmitting. It is receiving but only through the GPS. If you don't have cell coverage you can't transmit even if you have your phone in normal mode. So there is no way information can pass from your phone to anywhere until cell coverage is established. GPS's, including the one in your phone, are receivers, not transmitters. They do not talk to the satellite. The satellite talks to the GPS and the phone listens. One-way only.

I sure am NOT an OnX expert, but I do understand this much. I used OnX for 2 weeks in Wyoming this year and then for multiple weekends later this fall bird hunting.

I guess I never thought of it in those terms.

I am just now looking into both ONx And (I know this won't be popular on this forum) Basemap. Trying to figure out which one is best. That is another post all together to compare the two apps.

Anyway. I appreciate your knowledge sir and thanks for clarification

Much appreciated.

I guess I never thought of it in those terms.

I am just now looking into both ONx And (I know this won't be popular on this forum) Basemap. Trying to figure out which one is best. That is another post all together to compare the two apps.

Anyway. I appreciate your knowledge sir and thanks for clarification

Much appreciated.

ONX map on cell phone without active cellular or WiFi coverage is a ‘receive only’ device for satellite gps signal. It sends nothing back up through the satelite. All info leaving you phone is cellular or WiFi only. You need a sat phone or a Garmin sat communicator (like inreach) to send your current location out to the world through those services.

Last edited:
Question about OnX for us East coast users.

I am getting ready to sign up and get the Maryland map. Does the landowner information stay somewhat updated. I am not hunting in the high population areas of the state but I know our parcels of land are smaller and more per square mile. I know the app is invaluable out West but haven’t seen anything from any East coast users.

Yes, the landowner information stays updated regularly. I just watched a piece of property I bought update. It took about 6 months for it to update but it is there. Im not an East Coast user but it works well in the midwest. My guess is it will work more quickly in places with electronic property records.

My tracks are not working properly. It doesn't follow my route at all. It just makes straight lines. I will start my tracks then walk a ways pull out my phone and it will show a straight line from my starting point to where I am. Then I'll walk further check my phone and it will show a straight line from my previous stop to my current location. No matter how winding my actual route was. Is there any way to fix this?
I have the same issue and it’s extremely frustrating. Anyone or OnX have a fix for this?

Back