Ask Your Muzzleloader Questions Here - Thanks to CVA

I’m heading on first muzzleloader hunt this year and have a question. My gun seems to shoot better fouled so am wondering if I foul the barrel by taking a shot then reload it on first day of hunting can I leave the gun loaded for rest of hunt...up to a week? And even if I don’t foul it, can I still leave it loaded for remainder of hunt?

I am interested in a 50 caliber CVA Wolf or Optima and have never used a muzzleloader. I only target shoot and my primary reasons are more economical shooting and more flexibility with the lack of ammo in the current situation. I am confused about the caliber and size of the projectiles. I would like to shoot round balls and can find them in 0.495, but the 0.490 are not available. Will the 0.495 work, and if so, can you recommend a patch?

In addition to shooting round balls, I would like to shoot a conical bullet similar to the Hornady Pennsylvania conical bullet (240 grain) in 50 caliber. While it is a 50 caliber, the diameter is 0.512 inches. Can this bullet be used in the 50 caliber Wolf or Optima? If not, is there a similar bullet you can recommend?

Finally, is there a mold you could recommend to cast conical bullets?

Thanks

I am interested in a 50 caliber CVA Wolf or Optima and have never used a muzzleloader. I only target shoot and my primary reasons are more economical shooting and more flexibility with the lack of ammo in the current situation. I am confused about the caliber and size of the projectiles. I would like to shoot round balls and can find them in 0.495, but the 0.490 are not available. Will the 0.495 work, and if so, can you recommend a patch?

In addition to shooting round balls, I would like to shoot a conical bullet similar to the Hornady Pennsylvania conical bullet (240 grain) in 50 caliber. While it is a 50 caliber, the diameter is 0.512 inches. Can this bullet be used in the 50 caliber Wolf or Optima? If not, is there a similar bullet you can recommend?

Finally, is there a mold you could recommend to cast conical bullets?

Thanks

I do not know these rifles, as I'm more of a traditional type of person and I assume these are not that. However, if you want to shoot roundballs and conicals, buy a rifle made to do that. The key difference being rifling twist rates. Thompson Center, at one time, focused on this market with 48" twist rifles such as their Hawken approximation. That rifle is no longer made, but is found on the used market where it often fetches a pretty good price.

In any event, match your rifle's barrel to your preferred ammo. Shooting both roundballs and conicals means you will be looking for something a compromise or hybrid.

I do not know these rifles, as I'm more of a traditional type of person and I assume these are not that. However, if you want to shoot roundballs and conicals, buy a rifle made to do that. The key difference being rifling twist rates. Thompson Center, at one time, focused on this market with 48" twist rifles such as their Hawken approximation. That rifle is no longer made, but is found on the used market where it often fetches a pretty good price.

In any event, match your rifle's barrel to your preferred ammo. Shooting both roundballs and conicals means you will be looking for something a compromise or hybrid.
Hi BrentD -- Thanks so much for the quick response. I need to do some research.

I’m heading on first muzzleloader hunt this year and have a question. My gun seems to shoot better fouled so am wondering if I foul the barrel by taking a shot then reload it on first day of hunting can I leave the gun loaded for rest of hunt...up to a week? And even if I don’t foul it, can I still leave it loaded for remainder of hunt?
I fire a couple primers through mine prior to the hunt and it should be less corrosive but still fouls the barrel.

Last edited:
I have an Accura V2 and I bought some Barnes TMZ with Blackhorn 209 powder. Do you guys clean the gun after each shot at the range? Also is there much fouling from the Barnes TMZ sabot?

None on the calendar. My buddy Damon is involved at CVA and we agreed this might be a great place for CVA to reach our audience.
If you’re talking about Damon Burgard, that would be spectacular. When he was with Orion he put out some great videos including this muzzle loader deer hunt in Tennessee. From hearing the two of you swapping stories on the Hunt Talk podcast, that would be an excellent hunt (especially if you hunt Tennessee next year).

Here is a link to Damon’s muzzle loader deer hunt in Tennessee. It’s a great watch.

And he has some other episodes under a different Orion page including a really cool bow hunt on Tennessee public land.

Hey guys, I have the CVA Optima Northwest model, we sighting in today, and had the palm saver on the ramrod break off. The brass sheared right off. I have another ramrod for another rifle for my hunt this next weekend, but was wondering if any others have had this happen?

Hey guys, I have the CVA Optima Northwest model, we sighting in today, and had the palm saver on the ramrod break off. The brass sheared right off. I have another ramrod for another rifle for my hunt this next weekend, but was wondering if any others have had this happen?
Yup. I drilled and tapped mine for a steel stud. No problems since.

Hi,
I have a CVA Accura V2, I shoot BH 209 w/ Barnes 290 Gr TEZ and Winchester Standard Shotshell primers. I changed the breech plug over to the BH 209 one, but I am having some fitment issues with the primers being a little loose. The gun shoots great, but the primers are excessively dirty and I am "dusting" up the breech and the bottom of the scope. Any suggestions on how to rectify this little problem? Thanks

Brian

Hi,
I have a CVA Accura V2, I shoot BH 209 w/ Barnes 290 Gr TEZ and Winchester Standard Shotshell primers. I changed the breech plug over to the BH 209 one, but I am having some fitment issues with the primers being a little loose. The gun shoots great, but the primers are excessively dirty and I am "dusting" up the breech and the bottom of the scope. Any suggestions on how to rectify this little problem? Thanks

Brian
Maybe try the CCI Magnum 209 primers? They might be a little more snug - not sure, but they only cost about $5 so it may be worth a try...

Going on my first muzzleloader hunt tomorrow. I use a CVA Optima V2/ Stainless with Blackhorn 209. Given the lack of being able to purchase new bullets or powder at this time, I'd like to leave gun loaded if not successful as long as possible. I do not fire a fouling shot with power, however i DO fire off 2 primers. Will firing 2 CCI 209 magnum primers as a fouling shot be corrosive to the barrel if left uncleaned? Season runs til Jan 10th. Thanks!

If you are comfortable leaving a shotgun that had fired such primers uncleaned, then your muzzleloader will be no different, at least insofar as the primer fouling is concerned. You should be fine, unless that powder is an issue.

I charged my rifle today with blackpowder. It will not be unloaded until it sees a suitable deer or the evening of 10 January - whichever comes first.

Going on my first muzzleloader hunt tomorrow. I use a CVA Optima V2/ Stainless with Blackhorn 209. Given the lack of being able to purchase new bullets or powder at this time, I'd like to leave gun loaded if not successful as long as possible. I do not fire a fouling shot with power, however i DO fire off 2 primers. Will firing 2 CCI 209 magnum primers as a fouling shot be corrosive to the barrel if left uncleaned? Season runs til Jan 10th. Thanks!
You’ll be fine. I’m doing the same thing. I leave the gun in my truck or garage to prevent condensation from temperature changes.

@Zootownelk It’s usually in a hard case, without the primer in it of course. I do tape my barrel to minimize moisture coming down the barrel. I’ve been doing it that way for about 20 years and never had a problem with it firing at a deer or on January 11 when I discharcge the gun to unload it.

Back