Ask Your Muzzleloader Questions Here - Thanks to CVA

I have a question,can my CVA wolf .50cal use FFFg black powder? I saw the manual that say .50cal should use FFg and .45cal/lower use FFFg. I’m aware of this. So what type of black powder should I use?

The short answer is yes and Swiss.

The bigger question is where are you going to buy it and what do they have available? Blackpowder is hard to find in a brick and mortar store, but it can be done. I would rate the powders Swiss first, Ol Eyensford second, Goex 3rd and Schuetzen 4th, but 3rd and 4th might be reversible. Most of us that shoot black order it on line and we usually buy in 25# quantities. You can buy smaller amounts however. Some places to buy on line are Buffaloarms.com, trackofthewolf.com, http://www.deercreekproducts.net/black-powder.html among others.

I have a question,can my CVA wolf .50cal use FFFg black powder? I saw the manual that say .50cal should use FFg and .45cal/lower use FFFg. I’m aware of this. So what type of black powder should I use?
Are you planning to shoot real black powder or a black powder substitute? BrentD has good suggestions for real black powder - also good question about where to buy it. If you have to go online, you'll pay a HAZMAT fee of around $25 or more, depending on the store. That's probably why most people order 25# or more when they buy online versus in store. I have used Pyrodex Select FF and Alliant Black (I can get Alliant Black for $9.99 a lb in Sportsman's Warehouse) in my inline and my traditional Kentucky rifle. It's adequate, but I've found that my inline (Traditions Strikerfire .50) likes Blackhorn 209 much better. GOEX and other real black powder is much more fun to shoot with the Kentucky rifle though! And although you didn't ask, you'll find that loose powder is more versatile than the pellets - you can dial in a more precise load. Just my two cents.

Are you planning to shoot real black powder or a black powder substitute? BrentD has good suggestions for real black powder - also good question about where to buy it. If you have to go online, you'll pay a HAZMAT fee of around $25 or more, depending on the store. That's probably why most people order 25# or more when they buy online versus in store. I have used Pyrodex Select FF and Alliant Black (I can get Alliant Black for $9.99 a lb in Sportsman's Warehouse) in my inline and my traditional Kentucky rifle. It's adequate, but I've found that my inline (Traditions Strikerfire .50) likes Blackhorn 209 much better. GOEX and other real black powder is much more fun to shoot with the Kentucky rifle though! And although you didn't ask, you'll find that loose powder is more versatile than the pellets - you can dial in a more precise load. Just my two cents.
Thank you bro. However I cannot buy black powder or substitute at local stores because... nothing and even oos:( I bought one box’s black powder substitute online for $30, plus tax plus shipping plus HAZMAT fees would be $60... lol so scared...

If you are shooting a 209 primer, using black powder ( the real stuff ) is kind of a waste. A cva wolf with the blackhorn209 breech plug is an animal slaying machine when paired up with blackhorn209 powder.

Im interested in getting into muzzleloader hunting but am overwhelmed by the different types. Im coming from a rifle and archery background but being military i move around frequently and muzzloader seems to be the most consistent tag i have a chance at drawing. Im looking at the TC Pro Hunter or CVA Accura V2. My biggest concern is buying a muzzleloader that i realize later will only work in a few states, will either of these work across the country?

Im interested in getting into muzzleloader hunting but am overwhelmed by the different types. Im coming from a rifle and archery background but being military i move around frequently and muzzloader seems to be the most consistent tag i have a chance at drawing. Im looking at the TC Pro Hunter or CVA Accura V2. My biggest concern is buying a muzzleloader that i realize later will only work in a few states, will either of these work across the country?
Pat, I don't know about the TC Pro Hunter, but the CVA has a conversion kit if you get stuck in a place (Ft Lewis maybe) where you have to use a Northwest Compliant ignition system. As for what's the best, I've heard nothing but good things about the CVA Accura V2. My hunting partner has one that shoots lights out! As for powder, I ended up after multiple experiments, going with Blackhorn 209 with CCI Magnum primers. No kidding 1" groups at 100yds. I use a Traditions Strikerfire LDR (got a killer deal on it and couldn't pass it up). This forum is a great resource for hunting tips and techniques, advice, etc.

The short answer is probably not. It depends on more than just the make and model. Caliber matters, sights matter, etc.

One thing that seems to work just about everywhere (except maybe Pennsylvania), and that's a .54 caliber side hammer (e.g., percussion Hawken). For PA, A flintlock Hawken will get it done.

Pat, I don't know about the TC Pro Hunter, but the CVA has a conversion kit if you get stuck in a place (Ft Lewis maybe) where you have to use a Northwest Compliant ignition system. As for what's the best, I've heard nothing but good things about the CVA Accura V2. My hunting partner has one that shoots lights out! As for powder, I ended up after multiple experiments, going with Blackhorn 209 with CCI Magnum primers. No kidding 1" groups at 100yds. I use a Traditions Strikerfire LDR (got a killer deal on it and couldn't pass it up). This forum is a great resource for hunting tips and techniques, advice, etc.
I appreciate it, i didnt realize a conversion kit existed. Ill have to check it out! Thanks for the powder tips too

I appreciate it, i didnt realize a conversion kit existed. Ill have to check it out! Thanks for the powder tips too
Not to muddy the water, but there is also the traditional approach - flint lock or cap lock rifle. I built a Kentucky rifle from a kit. It's a nice project if you're handy with woodworking.

Fffg is finer then ffg, ffg is finer then fg. The finer the powder the hotter it burns. I have been shooting fffg this year because like you it was what they had in the powder I wanted. I found that about 10 grains of powder less of fffg performed the same through my Thompson center as ffg.

You will soon see ads for CVA muzzleloaders on the forum, along with some other of the affiliate companies from BPI. CVA wants to engage with our audience who has interest or questions on muzzleloaders and muzzleloader hunting. The BPI-CVA folks are the experts, so I hope you will welcome them and provide questions you may have. They will be checking this thread to help provide information and answer questions.
If i apply for a muzzleloader in nm are my chances better than 6% ???

Well after being out of the muzzleloader game for a little bit, I had the strangest thing happen today, an Accura v2 followed me home. Absolutely an upgrade from the old traditions I learned on and might as well be a cruise missile compared to the reproduction enfield I used way back when for historical demonstrations.

Thoughts on a LPVO for this one? Figuring at most a 2-7 but can't hurt to get ideas from those who know more.

Well after being out of the muzzleloader game for a little bit, I had the strangest thing happen today, an Accura v2 followed me home. Absolutely an upgrade from the old traditions I learned on and might as well be a cruise missile compared to the reproduction enfield I used way back when for historical demonstrations.

Thoughts on a LPVO for this one? Figuring at most a 2-7 but can't hurt to get ideas from those who know more.
With the range that bad boy will shoot, it wouldn't hurt to have a decent quality 3-9x40. I'm shooting a Strikerfire LDR with a Vortex 4-12x40 and it's nice to have that little extra optic power out there. I know you didn't ask about powder and bullets, but I just got back from shooting this morning: 115gr Blackhorn 209 and 300gr THOR bullets - getting ready in case I draw an elk tag in the fall. I have no reservations about shooting that setup at 200yds.

Reactions: /sw
With the range that bad boy will shoot, it wouldn't hurt to have a decent quality 3-9x40. I'm shooting a Strikerfire LDR with a Vortex 4-12x40 and it's nice to have that little extra optic power out there. I know you didn't ask about powder and bullets, but I just got back from shooting this morning: 115gr Blackhorn 209 and 300gr THOR bullets - getting ready in case I draw an elk tag in the fall. I have no reservations about shooting that setup at 200yds.

I don't object to having more glass, at all.

Blackhorn is already in the safe, Sportsman's only had Hornady bullets that interested me, well they had aerolite but I've never had success with them, looking for some Barnes and I'll check out the THOR.

I don't object to having more glass, at all.

Blackhorn is already in the safe, Sportsman's only had Hornady bullets that interested me, well they had aerolite but I've never had success with them, looking for some Barnes and I'll check out the THOR.
I've also had good success with the Federal B.O.R. in 350gr (all lead) - something else to try. They also make a 270gr all copper bullet (next on my list to try).

I'm hemming and hawing about 2021 being the year I try muzzleloader hunting here in CO. I have some questions that could push me one way or the other:

1. What's the deal with primer and percussion cap availability? I know there's a massive ammo shortage at the moment, but are primers trickling in here/there? What's the chance I score some 209 primers in the next month or so?
2. Given the primer shortages, how sensitive are loads to one brand or another? Say I get dialed in with Winchester primers, but now I can only find CCI. Will my POI shift?
3. Do I need to clean my muzzleloader at the range (say after X number of shots)? If so, what do you suggest for a range cleaning kit?
4. How much practice before someone who hasn't shot a muzzleloader before is dialed in? I used to shoot some rifle competitions when I was a much younger man and I feel (ok, I can lie to myself) that I have some decent fundamentals. This factor is probably going to be the decision point for me this year. My wife and I just welcomed our first kid a few weeks ago and I'm realizing I won't have the time to necessarily practice with my bow as much as I should. As a result, I'm hoping 2-3 range trips a month will be enough to get me confident with the smokepole.
5. Can you recommend a loading system for the field? I'm looking for something that holds 5 or so bullets, pre-measured loose powder, and primers.

I'm hemming and hawing about 2021 being the year I try muzzleloader hunting here in CO. I have some questions that could push me one way or the other:

1. What's the deal with primer and percussion cap availability? I know there's a massive ammo shortage at the moment, but are primers trickling in here/there? What's the chance I score some 209 primers in the next month or so?
2. Given the primer shortages, how sensitive are loads to one brand or another? Say I get dialed in with Winchester primers, but now I can only find CCI. Will my POI shift?
3. Do I need to clean my muzzleloader at the range (say after X number of shots)? If so, what do you suggest for a range cleaning kit?
4. How much practice before someone who hasn't shot a muzzleloader before is dialed in? I used to shoot some rifle competitions when I was a much younger man and I feel (ok, I can lie to myself) that I have some decent fundamentals. This factor is probably going to be the decision point for me this year. My wife and I just welcomed our first kid a few weeks ago and I'm realizing I won't have the time to necessarily practice with my bow as much as I should. As a result, I'm hoping 2-3 range trips a month will be enough to get me confident with the smokepole.
5. Can you recommend a loading system for the field? I'm looking for something that holds 5 or so bullets, pre-measured loose powder, and primers.
Are you planning to shoot a traditional or a modern in-line muzzle loader? The answer to that will determine a more accurate assessment questions 1-5. Not trying to be a smart ass, but there is a pretty wide variance in the approach to preparing for each. That said, 1. I haven't seen a significant shortage of primers for inline MZ, nor caps for traditional. 2. I have not experienced a great deal of POI shift from one primer to another. I use the magnum 209 shotgun primers, but I've used Winchester as well. I may be wrong, but I think CO is iron-sight only, so your shots won't likely be more than 100 yards, so any slight variance you might have in POI is negligible for hitting a broadside elk or muley. 3. The amount of cleaning you do at the range depends on how clean your powder burns. The Blackhorn 209 powder, while a bit pricey, is clean and extremely reliable and accurate - for inline shooters; not recommended for traditional rifles. 4. How much practice? With your background in rifle competitions, going from that to muzzle loader is a really easy transition, as you're using the same shooting fundamentals. The only issue is that you have to accept the fact that a MZ is not as accurate as a center fire rifle, although the better inline models are pretty close out to 100 yds. Traditional rifles will be somewhat less accurate at 100 yds. 5. I use pre-measured BH 209 loaded into plastic reload tubes (probably not the correct term, but you put the bullet and powder in the tube and it's ready if you need a follow up shot). I would check out www.muzzle-loaders.com (certainly not the only site, but fairly good) for some ideas on what range gear you need, different types of load systems, etc. There are starter kits that include everything you need. As for bullets, I think Colorado has some very specific requirements, so you'll have to check those out. I believe you have to use full bore, not sabot. Try out several brands and weights to see what your rifle likes best. Every one is different.

Finally, there are a lot of really good folks on this forum that can jump in and give good advice and options. Fair warning, after you fire that first shot and the smoke clears, you'll be hooked!

You will soon see ads for CVA muzzleloaders on the forum, along with some other of the affiliate
Thanks for the introduction Randy and we look forward to talking about all things muzzleloaders as the SEASON IS ALMOST HERE!

Damon
I ordered A CVA Accura V2 on Jan. 1st. at muzzleloader .com. It’s on backorder for almost two months. When do you expect CVA to start shipping?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back