Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

As much as I complain...

SWMontana1

As much as I complain about some of the rules and regulations that Montana has put in place and some other things I disagree with......... I can't aruge my 3 month elk hunting season nor can I argue that Montana is proactive and would never allow a mess like such to happen! Thanks for all the hard work that Montanans do to help and try to preserve it!!

Man, I love this place!!

http://mtstandard.com/lifestyles/recreation/welfare-elk-wyoming-should-end-the-stupid/article_c28ae802-215a-11e1-b3b8-0019bb2963f4.html

I'm no fan of the feeding programs in Wyoming...but saying that stopping the elk feeding program in Wyoming is going to clear up the national debt?

WTF?

But even if you take the states rights argument, the fact is people from all over the country are subsidizing the feeding on the refuge. The program costs $335,000 annually, coming to roughly $45 per elk, according to Smith.

So let’s take an economic approach to the issue. In this era of massive federal deficits, we hear a lot about ending the waste, fraud and abuse in government programs. How about ending the stupid?

We also hear a lot about the need for shared sacrifice to reduce massive federal budgets. Surely, the people of a conservative state like Wyoming are willing to do their part.

If we can’t end a practice that dips into the pocketbooks of all Americans to benefit a small handful of people at the expense of the public’s wildlife, what can we cut?

I'm not sure Nick has his facts straight...I could be wrong and I'm not going to look into it that much. But, what I do know as fact is that money comes in from the annual antler pick up, as well as from a required additional stamp to hunt elk in NW Wyoming to support the feeding program.

Not sure if that covers all the expenses, but I dont believe that the taxpayers are paying 335,000 like he claims.

Last edited:
As much as I complain about some of the rules and regulations that Montana has put in place and some other things I disagree with......... I can't aruge my 3 month elk hunting season nor can I argue that Montana is proactive and would never allow a mess like such to happen! Thanks for all the hard work that Montanans do to help and try to preserve it!!

Man, I love this place!

Agreed. Glad MT was never forced down that road.

Like that is going to make a difference. I bet if an analysis was done, that $45 per elk comes back to state, local, and maybe federal coffers, many times. Recently, TRCP (I think it was them) released a study that investment in conservation was actual a net positive to government budgets. It returned much more than was invested.

But, some have an ideological bent against conservation programs or the agencies charged with such, so hacking those budgets gives them personal and political gain.

Back in the 60's Montana fed the elk up Gallatin Canyon near Porcupine Creek. Fortunately the error was recognized and wildlife are no longer fed and congregating near the entrance to Big Sky.

Agreed. Glad MT was never forced down that road.

Like that is going to make a difference. I bet if an analysis was done, that $45 per elk comes back to state, local, and maybe federal coffers, many times. Recently, TRCP (I think it was them) released a study that investment in conservation was actual a net positive to government budgets. It returned much more than was invested.

Yes, but elk feeding isn't an investment in conservation. Quite the opposite IMO.

rg

Last edited:
Yes, but elk feeding isn't an investment in conservation. Quite the opposite IMO.

rg

Agreed. At least not investment in habitat conservation, in the traditional sense.

Some would argue that sustainng that elk herd, albeit artificially due to habitat loss, is still a net positive to conservation. That herd generates a lot of license sales, equipment purchases, and other activities that fund conservation activities.

I am not an advocate of feeding, given the associated problems. But, given how the Jackson area herd lost its winter range a long time ago, I am at a loss to find a better alternative for that herd. Buying winter range there is not an option, given it is heavily developed and beyond expensive. Not sure what other options exist.

Letting the herd fend for itself and eventually dwindle down to remain carrying capacity on that fractured winter range is an option. Not convinced it is a good option, but maybe it is.

Man, I love this place!!

http://mtstandard.com/lifestyles/recreation/welfare-elk-wyoming-should-end-the-stupid/article_c28ae802-215a-11e1-b3b8-0019bb2963f4.html

How are taxpayer-funded state WMA any different? From my understanding of the Jackson area, it would be nearly impossible to purchase a WMA. The two have the same substantive effect. They are both taxpayer-funded "animal welfare" designed to increase game populations.

How are taxpayer-funded state WMA any different? From my understanding of the Jackson area, it would be nearly impossible to purchase a WMA. The two have the same substantive effect. They are both taxpayer-funded "animal welfare" designed to increase game populations.

For one thing, a state owned WMA regenerates on it's own. You don't have to start from scratch on the revenue front each year. WMA hold more wildlife than just elk. They are part of a broader ecosystem. The welfare part is less apparent on a WMA after the original purchase.

Back