MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

I am part of the problem....

Elkwhisper

Don't get me wrong...... I am a BIG fan of the 9 months of the year I get to chase big game here in Montana. The opportunities we are afforded here are unmatched. I take full advantage, and spend 3 months each spring chasing bears..... kick things off in mid August chasing antelope and wrap things up in mid February with a few late season archery buck tags. I am rarely sitting at home wishing I could go hunting......

That said, after a BUNCH of days in the field this fall and quite literally 100s of bucks passed up, I can tell you with much certainty that VERY few bucks of the class I am really looking for exist here. At least on public land.

Often I find myself trying to compensate by swapping out my rifle for the bow.... handgun... or muzzleloader. In fact, I spent a good amount of time with the old stick and string in tow this year and came really close to closing the deal on bucks that would have made me happy several times.

As the season wore on and the clock kept ticking the pressure to fill my tag grew. I have committed to helping several kids and buddies get bucks and bulls over Thanksgiving week and my time was getting limited. So eventually I pulled out the rifle and knocked this one down. To be sure, this is a decent buck on the top end of what I was able to find this year, and I appreciate this one just as much as any other. Every animal I take matters to me... but after getting this one back to the house I was struck with a solemn realization...... I have killed literally dozens of bucks like this....... did this one need to die just so I could have some sense of completion.... of accomplishment? To be sure the meat was well taken care of and will be put to good use.... but so would the meat of a doe if I had chosen to shoot his girlfriend.

I enjoy the search... the chase so much, I am just not sure why after 30+ years of hunting, part of me feels the need to punch my tag no matter what. And my guess is that I am not alone in that feeling...... and that is why I am part of the problem. Who knows what this buck might have turned into in two years.... we will never know. And such is the case with hundreds, if not thousands of up and comimg bucks here in the Big Sky state. I know it shouldn't take laws and regulations to throttle these impulses.... but because I am allowed a buck tag each year and upwards of 12 weeks to fill it..through the rut.... you can pretty much bet I am not going home empty handed.

So long story short....I think I turned a page this season. From now on elk are for eating.....and one will find it's way to my freezer every year, but I will not pull the trigger on another Mule Deer that I cant genuinely be proud of. That isnt to say that I need one that will net B&C.... in fact I am not even sure it matters how big he is. And in MT, if B&C was my threshold I might never pull the trigger. I am much more interested in finding an experience that I find personally rewarding. That might be a much smaller buck with my bow..... or maybe one taken while hunting with a good friend or my daughter...or maybe one in just a cool ass place where it all feels "right". What I don't want to do is to shoot a buck.... just to shoot a buck.

A buddy of mine recently suggested a license structure that only allowed you a buck every two years. In theory you could hunt every year but if.you pulled the trigger you were done for 2 years. I know that is not in keeping with what MFWP is managing for... but can you imagine how the age class of bucks would improve if we took half as many bucks and were all more selective with our harvest.

I dont expect my musings to change anything with the regulations.... but for me, I am personally done being part of the mule deer problem in MT. That said, each year I end up helping a half dozen or so kids and buddies fill their tags. I dont expect them to have the same outlook on things as I do, and will be happy for them with whatever buck trips their trigger. So it is doubtful that I will have ANY net impact in the age class of of deer in my area.... but for me I am looking at things a little differently.

Not sure I'll feel the same next season....or the season after that, but for now I am going to do my best to not be part of the "problem".

Attachments

• 20191121_172812.jpg
    20191121_172812.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 189
Having never killed a Mule deer I would be tickled to take one like that! Congrats!

Very well said, I have a really hard time keeping my mouth shut when someone posts a pic and says he's not the biggest but will sure eat good. I keep telling friends you will never kill a Big One if you keep shooting the little ones.. Mt. should go to 4point or better and watch the age class go up. Just my 2cents..

I can't disagree with you, I'm not sure I agree with everything, but something needs to change.

You guys really know how to take the child like joy out of deer hunting.

I appreciate the OP’s well written honesty. I think it’s a great post.

That said, the joy I take in hunting deer and the decision on whether or not to fill my tag isn’t contingent on the same criteria as a lot of posters here or the OP.

I feel confident in saying that that is the case for most hunters. I don’t think the OP is wrong, but I also don’t think folks are going to eat tag soup for 20 years in the name of shooting a big one, and I don’t think they’re wrong either. It’s complicated for sure.

Though, if it came down to “fixing” the issue of a lack of representation in the older age classes of mule deer across Montana, I would rather hunt mule deer for one week with a recurve bow every year, than hunt every other year in the hopes of shooting a big one with more modern toys. Engaging in the hunt is the most valuable thing IMO.

Last edited:
LOL good luck convincing your fellow citizens of that!

No kidding. I much appreciate the OP’s honesty.

I swear half of western MT head East to kill “real nice” 3 1/2 year old 4x4’s and 1 1/2 year old dry does.

I'm from Minnesota so I can't wager in much for what MTs herd is like but here in MN the most pressure we get is during the 2 week rifle season. The season is smack dab in the middle of the rut when the "orange army" is out stomping through the woods. Many big deer get killed but so do lots of smaller bucks. You get the guys who go out just to fill the freezer and shoot the first deer they see. My relatives do this on our land we have. They go out and shoot the first deer they see and then complain that they never shoot any big bucks...

Well there's a few issues with that. For 1, my uncle drives his truck to his stand. Then he complains about the deer always running by him... They never run by me, maybe it's your truck uncle Dave? Then get this, he drives his truck to his stand 20 minutes before legal shooting light ends. I'm about 800 yards away down the powerlines from him and I just laugh. This season alone, my one uncle shot a young 8, probably only 2.5 years old, and a little fork, probably a year and a half old. Then my cousin shot a little tiny 8 who was probably only a year and a half old. My other uncle never shoots anything but that might have to do with the truck under his stand. Then I shot my nice 10 which was probably a 3. 5 to 4.5 year old deer. The only people who shoot mature bucks on our land is me and my dad. Mainly because we're not driving to our stands and we don't shoot young bucks every year. (I'm chalking this up to good karma, we pass them when they're young and they reward us when they're big)

If MN would adjust their season to a couple weeks later it would be during the post rut more than likely and the bucks wouldn't be so stupid and get shot so easily. The quality of deer would increase dramatically and MN could become a trophy whitetail destination.

This is a choice that one has to make on their own. I did it when I was twenty two. I shot a good young buck that had lots of ground shrink. I am sure that buck in a few years would have been in the mid thirty's wide with lots of extras. I vowed never again would shoot a young buck with potential. Now days I spend plenty of time in the hills during hunting season with out the rife. I may never kill another deer in my life or I could shoot one next week. I have found that I don't have to put something on the ground to enjoy the outdoors so I am good with ether happening.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club, it’s not as bleak as it may seem to you right now. I still look for them but don’t see the size I used to and I’m ok with that. Just when you think they aren’t out there anymore someone like breaks runner, etc posts a pic of a toad taken from public land. I still have fun trying to figure elk out and chasing antelope. I don’t post often but I know exactly what you’re feeling right now.

I totally get where your coming from. The last mulie I shot hangs on my wall downstairs and all I can think about is what he could have been in one or two more years. Hes the biggest buck I've ever killed, and I don't feel bad necessarily. But there is a sense of remorse. He could have been a truly great buck, a buck of a lifetime for me. He had the potential.Since I shot that buck Ive found one mulie that I was interested in killing. He was in a heavily hunted general area. He was wide. He had great forks front and back. He had mass.He was like nothing Ive ever hunted. Those older bucks are like a different animal to me. I watched him bed 40 yds on private from the public land I was hunting, watched him fall asleep (I'll never forget how he fought the sleep, for a minute he looked like he was dying, trying to raise his head and having it fall back down), and watched him walk a couple hundred yds down the fenceline I needed him to cross, five feet from public all along before he turned back into private and out of my life.

That being said, I never would have had that experience if I wouldn't have passed on a bunch of other bucks that year, and that experience means more to me than putting another 10 or 15 3 year old mulie bucks on the ground and in the freezer.

On the plus side, I've found an immense appreciation for whitetail hunting, and I don't think I'll ever get too picky on those hunts. There's just so many whitetails.

I can kill an elk, pronghorn, and whitetail to fill the freezer. From here on out I want to hunt for those ever elusive old mule deer in October. Or, God willing, a big old forkie. For some reason I want to kill a big old fork horned mulie in a bad way.

About twenty years ago I made the decision that I don’t harvest a buck unless I am going to mount it. For me, this criteria has made me limit my kills to something bigger each time or something without horns. My house boss doesn’t want more than one of any species hanging on the wall so that has certainly helped with the harvesting of average bucks as well.

Anyhow, to each their own. I still enjoy being in the woods every time, I just don’t feel pressure to harvest anything.

I'm having some similar thoughts this year. I shot a 4pt a couple days ago, I had a great time glassing and chasing deer around on public land last week, but when I put the antlers in the stack of others I have that I will never mount, it occurred to me what a large collection of 3 or 4 y/o bucks I've shot over the years. I'm not a trophey hunter, per se, but it would do my heart good to see some bucks and bulls get a little older on public land..

I tend to focus on harder to reach areas, last Monday I did see a real bruiser up on a canyon rim, but couldn't quite get in position for a crack at him before he and his does moved off. He was big, but also unusual.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back