Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Arizona Late Elk

This evening tally was about a dozen cows, four spikes, one bull that would not step out of the thick stuff to be identified, and a nice 5 X 5 that will die in the morning. Not a huge five pointer, but a very nice last day bull. Might take two days to pack him out, but not being on a schedule, I will probably allow excitement to over rule good judgment. Saw him feeding tonight with about twenty minutes of shooting light. Couldn't get to him in time.

A spike tempted me very much. He walked right along a hill near the trailhead. Could have had him to the truck and in the old boy's garage by midnight. That young bull had no idea how close he came to being part of Fin fulfilling a civic obligation by helping an old boy who has a yearning for elk steaks.

Will be a true dilemma in the morn if that spike is still that close to the trailhead - shoot the five pointer and let the spike grow to a raghorn, or shoot the spike and let the five pointer grow to a bigger bull.

Decisions, decisions.

One day left. Time to punch a tag.

Shoot the five point he probably has weak thirds anyways and we don't want any of that getting spread around. Kinda been my rule of thumb anyway.:D Anybody can kill a 350 bull it's the weak thirds raghorns that are a true trophy.

An hour after this pic was taken, the 5X5 decided to show up over on the right hand side of this pic.

IMG_0672.JPG

If there is a more beautiful place to hunt elk than Northern Arizona, I want to go there.
IMG_0699.JPG

Sun setting on another great day in the elk hills.
IMG_0698.JPG

Lee smiling over the fact that we would not be packing that bull out of the jungle by headlamp.
IMG_0702.JPG

Me smiling for the same reasons as Lee, and also knowing I will shoot a bull in the morning. What's not to like about that?
IMG_0705.JPG

Good luck looks like a great time.

Don't want to clutter your thread but any info about the bino holders?

Thanks for sharing with us Guys!! It's always exciting to see the latest updates, and hear how others are doing on the days that we have to be somewhere other than in the great outdoors. Also, kinda fun wondering if there might be a "Bang, ..Flop", right about,...NOW!"

Bang!

"Man is that a long ways down there,,,,,,,,,,"

"Got your packin' boots on?"

Toughest job you will ever love. Pain is temporary, memories are forever. Looking forward to the pics. Thanks for sharing Randy.

Didn't get to the 5 point before he disappeared. He's in where we last saw them and could probably kill the spike in front of him with a spear...

I'm guessing Randy stays with them all day waiting for the fiver to reappear...and then bang, flop

The five point made it through a gap, down into some ledges in those cliffs. So thick and steep, I could hear elk walking below me fifty yards, but could not see them. Felt like a tunnel rat down in those chutes with all that thick manzanita brush hanging over my head.

Lee probably thought I died or got lost. That brush and that terrain just swallows you up. Even though he was way above me, I doubt he could see me much of the time.

Had I shot one in there, I had left Lee the phone numbers of you Arizona guys. I suspect you all would have found good reason to be "busy."

I thought about jumping on the back of that spike and riding him out. By far, the tamest/dumbest elk I have ever encountered. Should have roped him, then lead him to the truck and dispatched him there.

It was a great morning. One of the more exerting stalks of the season. That is the pleasure of hunting, even if the bull won.

Tonight is the last charge of Big Fin and his fearless immortals. Walking into a burn and ending the season right there. Will be the third night in that spot. Hope the third time is a charm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back