Caribou Gear

Archery in a rifle dominated hunting world

@JimQ

Regarding western states late October/November archery hunting deer during rifle season.

Crawl into the thick stuff with a set of rattling antlers. Most public land rifle hunters will avoid the bush because of the limited visibility. The thick stuff will also help with the wind.

Both whitetail and mule deer can be rattled in.

Elk with a bow during rifle season? You just gotta get very lucky while hunting public lands.

Good luck!

When I was in 5th grade I got the Il hunters digest and saw bow season was 4.5 months and I was like “damn, that’s gotta be better odds than 2 weekends”
If you compare MT to CO, CO has better harvest stats for a lot of seasons/species with a 5 day season than MT does with a tag that is good for combined archery + rifle for like 12 weeks.

You also see that folks generally hunt the same amount of days, CO hunters are just burning some vacation day whereas MT hunters are just going on the weekend.

Just all kinda depends on the situation.

My husband and I switched to archery last year. For the 5 years before that, we were 5 out of 5 for getting an elk each year on public land. Different unit every year for variety. The combo of him being a map dork and us generally putting in a lot of miles we're always "in elk" - rare is a hunting day that we don't see or hear an elk so.... he decided that rifle was too easy and we switched to archery. At first, I was not on board. I like my .270!!

Fast forward to this year and we're in a bit of a pickle - we LOVE archery. Holy moley it is FUN!!! And such a challenge. And the calling! Also this year we discovered archery grouse hunting! But we also haven't gotten an elk yet. Now it's year 2 of archery and the freezer is woefully empty. We're going back out for rifle elk this weekend. I told him screw the haul, let's fill both tags. I miss the meat.

You can always just wait till they get closer with a rifle...

My point is that method is just a preference, and that the handicaps beyond regulations that people put on themselves is totally arbitrary. Guys will hunt with a compound bow, because "it's more difficult than a rifle", but then use tree stands, game cameras, and/or hunt at more advantagous times of the year (rut).

I've never seen anyone hunting muleys with a stick bow in Colorado in October on public land in an OTC unit or hunting chuckar with flu flu arrows.

People pick and choose the ways they want to make hunts more/or less difficult, but it's arbitrary and to say otherwise is disingenuous. Sure Mr. Hammer time is using a bow... but also hunting on a giant private ranch 👏 you're so much better than those loser rifle hunters on public.

⬇️
Screenshot_20221028-141007_Video Player.jpg

2019, NR OTC Elk unit #75. There's one or two of us. Beauty country and a great experience hunting on the ground.

i like hearing that, because i'm contemplating more and more to look at 2nd rifle over 1st rifle. never been out for 2nd rifle, for anything.
IMO 2nd season is absolutely the hardest season to kill elk in. It’s warm so they don’t move around a lot, they aren’t rutting, and there’s always a ton of guys out there.

IMO 2nd season is absolutely the hardest season to kill elk in. It’s warm so they don’t move around a lot, they aren’t rutting, and there’s always a ton of guys out there.

i think the harvest stats would you back you up, too.

but i do like one of grantk's main points, it's the longest season.

harder season but with 4 extra days can absolutley be the difference between elk or no elk.

1st rifle is a uniquely wonderful time of year to be in the woods tho, hunting or not. i'm not ready to stop it just yet.

Crawl into the thick stuff with a set of rattling antlers. Most public land rifle hunters will avoid the bush because of the limited visibility. The thick stuff will also help with the wind.

Both whitetail and mule deer can be rattled in
Be just like back in Missouri...never made a shot with a rifle further then 40 yds and most bow shots were under 15 yds. They don't call us Bushwackers for nothing...lol

i think the harvest stats would you back you up, too.

but i do like one of grantk's main points, it's the longest season.

harder season but with 4 extra days can absolutley be the difference between elk or no elk.

1st rifle is a uniquely wonderful time of year to be in the woods tho, hunting or not. i'm not ready to stop it just yet.
I suspect stats don't quite tell the whole story in this case, just having to apply for first season tags cuts out a tremendous amount of people who don't remember to apply so they walk into Walmart and buy a tag the night before second season... then hunt for half of opening day and head home, it can be a madhouse opening day but still only a small percentage of those people are doing anything likely to get them an elk, at least in most units I've been in the crowd is completely gone by midweek...

To Ryguys points, I personally prefer elk not move at all, I spend a lot of time glassing a long ways out, it might take me all day to get to a bull I glass, better if he doesn't get up and walk around...it doesn't matter much if it's warm when using that tactic, I prefer snow to make glassing easier but not a huge difference...

I do think first is the nicest time of year to be in the woods, and I think the hunting can be really good, but when I hunt first season I try to scout for several days before hand and fill the tag early opening morning, in my opinion it's a total crapshoot after about noon opening day...

Found a great spot out of the wind with lots of sign. The first route in was nasty and made too much noise but seen a couple of really nice whitetail bucks. They are in here just had to find a quieter route in for next time and yes I took my bow for a walk.

Attachments

• B49AD78B-C68D-49EB-8410-08FD259A7573.jpeg
    B49AD78B-C68D-49EB-8410-08FD259A7573.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 4
  • F8D34616-2813-424B-826B-0A10113A6400.jpeg
    F8D34616-2813-424B-826B-0A10113A6400.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Nah, only had 10 days for the whole trip and only 1 tag.
"I've never seen anyone hunting muleys with a stick bow in Colorado in October on public land in an OTC unit"

Lots of people hunt elk with trad gear, I know as many folks who use long bows as compound, I use a long bow.

I have yet to meet anyone, or bump into anyone in the field during 2nd or 3rd rifle hunting mule deer with a longbow.

My husband and I switched to archery last year. For the 5 years before that, we were 5 out of 5 for getting an elk each year on public land. Different unit every year for variety. The combo of him being a map dork and us generally putting in a lot of miles we're always "in elk" - rare is a hunting day that we don't see or hear an elk so.... he decided that rifle was too easy and we switched to archery. At first, I was not on board. I like my .270!!

Fast forward to this year and we're in a bit of a pickle - we LOVE archery. Holy moley it is FUN!!! And such a challenge. And the calling! Also this year we discovered archery grouse hunting! But we also haven't gotten an elk yet. Now it's year 2 of archery and the freezer is woefully empty. We're going back out for rifle elk this weekend. I told him screw the haul, let's fill both tags. I miss the meat.
Success between rifle and archery is very different. My son is going to try November mule deer archery in one of the biggest mule deer herds in the state. 6% success rate for the OTC archery tag. Rifle is 24%.

It’s not as dramatic on elk but archery stil lower than rifle. Usually half.

If you compare MT to CO, CO has better harvest stats for a lot of seasons/species with a 5 day season than MT does with a tag that is good for combined archery + rifle for like 12 weeks.

You also see that folks generally hunt the same amount of days, CO hunters are just burning some vacation day whereas MT hunters are just going on the weekend.

Just all kinda depends on the situation.
I’ve only hunted deer in Colorado a couple of times during second and third season. Based on my limited time there, I’d say it looks way easier to kill elk in OTC units in Colorado than it is in general units in Montana. I haven’t done a lot of general rifle elk hunting in Montana for a long time, and most of it was when I was new to elk hunting, but I flat out got my butt kicked most of the time. It seems like when I’ve been in Colorado I had plenty of opportunities to kill elk if I would have had a tag. I was also amazed at the effort some of the NR guys in Colorado were putting in to get an elk. It actually made me feel like less of a hunter and made me realize how much I take general elk tags for granted.

I enjoy the up close experience that archery offers, but honestly, will be happy to go hunting with any of the big three weapon choices. In NM, it’s drawing a tag that seems to be most difficult. I guess that’s why I buy points in CO and WY. Whatever your preference and reasoning, happy hunting to all of you!

I killed my first deer with a bow. I hunt Muzzleloader, rifle, a pistol. Bowhunting makes the others easier but I love hunting with any legal weapon. I used to just bowhunt but find enjoyment in handloading and messing with different bullets. I am by no means a "long range" hunter..if I want that I shoot varmints. Love the fell of a gun or bow in my hand but at the end if the day I am grocery shopping and thankful that I am able to put food in the freezer.
You summed up my sentiments very well

Anyone else out there reached that point in their hunting lives that they no longer want to walk out the door with a rifle slung over their shoulder? I am that hunter that watches every hunting video he can and once upon a time it was all of them. However, now I only watch the bowhunting ones and have no desire to watch someone sit out 475 yards to shoot a muley buck or bull elk. I haven't pulled my rifle out of the gun safe this year and probably won't. Everyone has their own weapon of choice that makes them the happiest and my heavily modified Winchester 270 just doesn't interest me anymore. When I walk out the door my first and only choice is my Sauk Trail Spirit recurve. The dilemma is of course the same one everyone suffers from, finding a piece of public land that isn't saturated with orange and gunshots. The western side of Montana has numerous BMA's that are archery only but I have already had my one big hunting trip for the year so now I am down to trying to stay within 2 hours of home for a day hunt. Region 4 unfortunately has none of those that I have been able to find so must find that piece of public land that does not interest the rifle hunters.
Am I crazy? Foolish? Or just getting old? OK enough with the boohooing and time to get back to the maps. Good luck all my fellow archers!
Not crazy, any ethical hunter should consider what gives them the most enjoyment from the sport as they age and for me I enjoy the increased challenges of archery on public access properties. I am not criticizing the gun hunter who is primarily looking to help feed his family nor anyone who avoids wasting anything he kills.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back