Archery in a rifle dominated hunting world

Exactly.

Another thing I like about archery hunting is that as a soloist who doesn’t carry a sidearm it really opens me up to a sense of vulnerability to the wild that most have not felt.
Truly what it must have been like to be a primal man with no modern technology to protect you.
In a rifle hunt you’re always armed and it’s just not the same.
Yeahhhh I'm gonna call BS on "most have not felt". You don't think hunters go for like, hikes, other times of the year? I mean I took my 7 year old daughter on an unarmed backpacking trip this summer and it was about the least "primal man" outdoor adventure I've had in my life haha.

with some archery bros it seems like they genuinely don’t want to deal with the meat. Packing it, processing it, freezing it, EATING it! Too much work.
They’d rather get close and have lots of “cool experiences”.
Don’t get me wrong, I love hunting and getting close and all of the “experiential” things. But I’m also trying to fill my freezer at the end of the day
🤦‍♂️
1666897060805.png

it's astounding. i actually don't know anyone personally that is actually all that interested in the meat much beyond having to take it. i mean they say they are, and the eat the backstraps wrapped in bacon. ultimately just sits in the freezer, or they make jerky out all of it to "get rid of the gaminess." when you really think about it, hunting is kinda of an abominable sport when you think about how few people actually eat the stuff through and through.

i'm not fully supportive of most my hunting friends being hunters frankly.
My experience is the exact opposite. Everybody I know eats their kills, especially elk. Most of the families I know don’t buy red meat - the eat venison.

I get the OP principle. As the varied answers by some pretty good hunters show, it has a lot to do with regional and generational hunting culture, season structure, family history, landscapes you hunt etc.

No aids, free your heels, on the fly, stick and string or you're a looser.

Exactly.

Another thing I like about archery hunting is that as a soloist who doesn’t carry a sidearm it really opens me up to a sense of vulnerability to the wild that most have not felt.
Truly what it must have been like to be a primal man with no modern technology to protect you.
In a rifle hunt you’re always armed and it’s just not the same.

giphy.gif

I've hunted elk in every season in CO. Didn't get one that trip (first pic), called one in for a buddy the next year. 15 yards from the shooter in the aspens, did the whole cow party thing bull came close enough that I could have smacked it on the ass, buddy took the shot when the bull was about 3 yards in front of me... pretty cool watching the arrow hit, and then seeing the animal pile up 100 feet away. Definitely one I will remember forever.

View attachment 246775
View attachment 246777

Went back to the same unit during rifle season and got a bull, totally different experience. All spot and stalk bulls wouldn't budge or talk, shot this one through brush and didn't find him that night. Next morning tracked him down to the river and saw him wounded walking down to private.
View attachment 246779

Did the muzzy thing the next year...

View attachment 246780

then did some late season hunting...
View attachment 246781

But no I haven't killed an elk in archery season, though only season I haven't been able to fill my tag or help someone fill theirs was second season.

I'm method of take agnostic it's all interesting... but archery has gotten to be a chit show.
If you got stationed in Illinois where the archery season is oct 1-feb 15 do you think you’d bow hunt?

If you got stationed in Illinois where the archery season is oct 1-feb 15 do you think you’d bow hunt?

on my wifes side, amongst the extended family, there is still alot land owned in wisconsin that they all hunt on. there's kind of a lot of irons in the fire next fall for me hunting wise and i need to whittle down exactly what i'm doing, but one of those irons is potentially going out to hunt with my extended famly in wisconsin. that may very well be what i finally get the bow tuned up andpracticed on for.

My experience is the exact opposite. Everybody I know eats their kills, especially elk. Most of the families I know don’t buy red meat - the eat venison.

i don't know why it's what i'm exposed to amongst the people i know but it certainly is. i know it's not everybody though.

sounds like midwest archery is still easier than western rifle then? ;)
I've done both. It's a different kind of difficult. Western rifle has turned into a marathon. Just have to walk and walk and walk, then glass, then walk and walk and walk. Midwest archery is a technical difficult, not as much physical difficulty. Unless you shoot one deep in a swamp. Then it's Alaska moose pack out type difficulty lol

I've done both. It's a different kind of difficult. Western rifle has turned into a marathon. Just have to walk and walk and walk, then glass, then walk and walk and walk. Midwest archery is a technical difficult, not as much physical difficulty. Unless you shoot one deep in a swamp. Then it's Alaska moose pack out type difficulty lol
Do you hunt with a longbow/recurve?

Not currently. In the past I did a little bit, but I've been keeping an eye out for another recurve!
What’s are thoughts about said trad bows v. compound?

I have a long bow and a rifle, I find it ironic that the rifle is too easy and the longbow is too hard.

My opinion about anything outdoors is it’s fine to prefer something but that all the posturing about purity and difficulty is horse pucky.

I've hunted elk in every season in CO. Didn't get one that trip (first pic), called one in for a buddy the next year. 15 yards from the shooter in the aspens, did the whole cow party thing bull came close enough that I could have smacked it on the ass, buddy took the shot when the bull was about 3 yards in front of me... pretty cool watching the arrow hit, and then seeing the animal pile up 100 feet away. Definitely one I will remember forever.
gotten to be a
you can get a pretty good look at a t bone by sticking your head up a butchers ass, but until you make the shot...

What’s are thoughts about said trad bows v. compound?

I have a long bow and a rifle, I find it ironic that the rifle is too easy and the longbow is too hard.

My opinion about anything outdoors is it’s fine to prefer something but that all the posturing about purity and difficulty is horse pucky.
Traditional bows are typically more difficult since most people who pick them up haven't shot using solely instincts. It requires a lot more practice and continuing practicing throughout the year to stay consistent with shots.

In my case, I used to bowfish a lot and all of that was done without sights. It helped with instinct shooting so I've always had a knack for shooting, whether it be a recurve, shotgun, rifle, I will make the shot! Might be because I started young with a little recurve, or I am just lucky and had the good shot gene.

A buddy of mine tried traditional, but just struggled hard. He is one of the best archers I know when it comes to shooting a compound bow. Put him behind a traditional bow or a bowfishing bow where you're not using a sight, and he struggles hard.

I was fairly comfortable shooting out to about 25 yards with a recurve. But, I like being able to get out to about 40-50 with my compound. That's really the only difference when it comes down to it. I have certain spots I'd like to have a recurve to use just because how thick it is. It would be within 15 yards in some of these thick areas.
Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled, but it was easy. I shot him at 80 yards, he never knew I was there. I get a lot more excitement out of a hunt like my buck last year. It was 10 yards broadside, I could hear him chewing on leaves. Just more difficult and a more exciting experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back