Caribou Gear

Anyone recognize this hunting spot?

EODRay

I was kinda surprised at the response to the gear review thread on "A Soldiers transportation options". Everyone seemed to enjoy seeing some of what we were working with here. So I thought that I would try to post some pics more often with updates on things.
Again I want to say thanks for everyone for the kind words and encouraging support. I don't want you to feel obligate to say so on each post…..that's not why I'm doing it. I just want to share some of Ass-crack-istan with you through my eyes.

Last night/this morning we watched the Super bowl (started at 4am on Monday morning). Our camp is very small. So we set up a projector in a small room and huddled in there to watch the game. We have one American cook and then about 4 Afghans that make all of our food. Our cook actually made pizza, wings, and Jalapeño poppers for us for the game. That was a welcome surprise. The rest of us just brought in snacks that we had from care packages and we watched that terrible excuse for a Super Bowl.
IMG_1382.JPG
I always support my Cowboys no matter how bad they are.
IMG_1384.JPG
The winter has been fairly mild un until this point. We had only had 1 snow of a few inches in December. 4 Days ago I was shooting my bow (I do that a lot here) in a T-shirt. Then a huge cold front cam in. The temps in the last couple of days have been as low as -10degrees with wind and we got 8"-10" of snow. Today it cleared up enough to get back out.
IMG_1390.JPG
Pics aren't the greatest because the were just taken with my iPhone

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

Ray, Do these look familiar? Seems hard to believe these were taken on my first deployment almost 10 years ago now. The second one is of a 24 year old, 2LT, R&S PL, trying to figure it out.

AFG 2004 004.jpg
AFG 2004 006.jpg

Also, I meant to tell you before. Back in 04, I found a Damascus Barreled Purdey, 12 ga, hammergun in Herat, but some A-hole from the Dept of State, offered the guy more money than a young 2LT could afford, and stole it out from under me. You think the guy would no better than to screw over the guy keeping him alive. I cannot even imagine what that thing would have been worth. It must have come over wtih some British officer during one of their expeditions in the 1800's, and was taken off of him. I did find a Afghan Pulwar sword, while out on a little adventure SW of where you are, some guy left it sitting around by his weapons cache and it found its way home with me. He didn't need it anymore. ;) Stay safe brother!

Pulwar Sword.jpg

Ray, Do these look familiar? Seems hard to believe these were taken on my first deployment almost 10 years ago now. The second one is of a 24 year old, 2LT, R&S PL, trying to figure it out.

Also, I meant to tell you before. Back in 04, I found a Damascus Barreled Purdey, 12 ga, hammergun in Herat, but some A-hole from the Dept of State, offered the guy more money than a young 2LT could afford, and stole it out from under me. You think the guy would no better than to screw over the guy keeping him alive. I cannot even imagine what that thing would have been worth. It must have come over wtih some British officer during one of their expeditions in the 1800's, and was taken off of him. I did find a Afghan Pulwar sword, while out on a little adventure SW of where you are, some guy left it sitting around by his weapons cache and it found its way home with me. He didn't need it anymore. ;) Stay safe brother!

Minnesota, that is awesome, thanks for posting it. My 04 deployment was in the North. Is that Arena, Shindand or Leatherneck? I'd guess Leatherneck. In 02, I blew up/demilitarized an unbelievable amount of firearms, swords and bayonets. I hated blowing up all that history. I blew up about 4, 40ft connex's worth of guns. 9mm grease guns, AK's, Markorav's, Tarkarov's, sniper rifles from many countries……..you name it, I blew them up. I did buy and bring back 6 antique guns though (legally). Enfields, a Dutch rifle, a dueling pistol, etc. My most rare find was a .60 cal Russian Krnka from 1897. It was one of the first breech loaded cartridge guns ever made. Super rare. I sold it to a lawyer that was a gun collector and wrote books on that era of guns. I got a $1,400.00 AR-15 and $800.00 cash……I paid $200.00 for it. :hump:

That is actually at Herat Airfield, just north of Stone. If I remember correctly you said you were going to be up in that neck of the woods. At the time we were living in a safehouse in the city. We ended up taking SHAF back from the Taliban about a month or two after these pics were taken and Stone was built about 6 months later.

You got to be part of DDR too, huh? I have some awesome pics from that process. I wish I would have spent a little more time trying to find some artifacts. I did buy quite a few rugs for my wife, and picked up a few trinkets, mostly stuff I came across on ops.

EODRay, Thank you for your service. I too wear my Cowboy gear with pride. Stay safe, mtmuley

That is actually at Herat Airfield, just north of Stone. If I remember correctly you said you were going to be up in that neck of the woods. At the time we were living in a safehouse in the city. We ended up taking SHAF back from the Taliban about a month or two after these pics were taken and Stone was built about 6 months later.

You got to be part of DDR too, huh? I have some awesome pics from that process. I wish I would have spent a little more time trying to find some artifacts. I did buy quite a few rugs for my wife, and picked up a few trinkets, mostly stuff I came across on ops.

They closed down Stone about 2 months ago. I'm right next door on the SF camp (Camp Lawton) and it too will be closed (turned over to the ANASF) shortly.

Thanks mtmuley……Go Cowboys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back