Anyone live in or purchase a modular home?

Robertsj22

Wife and i are thinking about buying land and building a house. We are thinking about going the modular route on a two story. Was wondering if anyone has any experience in this

We lived in one for a while. The quality is not quite as good as a stick built home, but they have come a long way in recent years.

When I was doing restoration work I worked on quite a few modulars. More common plumbing issues because of how they are built. They used to be more difficult to find replacement cabinets and such because they weren't standard sizes. And also I remember owners having more issues finding insurance coverage because they were modulars at least in the area I worked in.

I haven't lived in one personally, but as a REALTOR I have found the newer ones have come a long way from what the 80's modular homes are.

bedford pa huh? I grew up in Hollidaysburg.

We were thinking of the same thing as well, the new modular's look pretty nice!

I can give you some incite on them. That's part of the industry I am involved in.

First there are two types, one where the floor is a steel frame with decking on top of it (think RV style frame), the other use a traditional wood floor joist. The steel frame ones you will have a harder time selling as they usually require a special loan.

Most doors and cabinets won't be standard sizes. This could even effect some of the plumbing.

You usually can upgrade items like insulation, drywall thickness.

Look into delivery and set up cost. Some sites they can't deliver to or get the unit in.

If you go this route, visit the plant so you can see construction methods first hand.

We almost bought on. What killed the deal was freight, it was north of 30k. When we factored that into our loan and down payment and the loan to value was close to 100%. We got lucky and found a way better 2007 stick built for significantly less.

We made an offer on one a few years ago, which was set on a basement. Per IA code, it qualified for a real estate mortgage, but the county had registered it in error as recreational property, so the banks wouldn't touch it. The seller would have had to petition the county for a correction, which they weren't interested in doing. We eventually moved on and bought a stick-built home, and someone else bought the modular home with alternative financing.

Despite the advances in construction in modular homes, to the point where they can compare pretty evenly with stick built, there is still some stigma associated with them, which may result in some issues/barriers when you go to sell it.

In central IA the transportation cost (in state) actually exceeds construction cost for modest-sized modular homes. These costs may vary regionally, but are always a significant part of the total cost.

Although we've never lived in one, it is known that the quality of modular homes has improved significantly over the past couple of decades.
One important consideration is the foundation. If placed on a concrete slab or basement for more "permanent" emplacement then the prospect of a mortgage is increased. Also for practical purposes, if placed on a basement concrete foundation the basement space can be later finished to increase size of living space and utilities. There are many factors to consider and much to discuss with modular sales personnel, mortgage money lenders, contractors, utility installers, and so on.
Best advice is to do your homework, analyze and make reasonable comparisons.

Last edited:
My parents have one built in early 90s. They did a loan on it and had to do about $8k in weird hurricane proof tiedowns underneath just to do the loan. Outisde has the boxy shape of a modular, but inside you can't tell at all really.

Wife and i are thinking about buying land and building a house. We are thinking about going the modular route on a two story. Was wondering if anyone has any experience in this

We have a Cape Cod Modular Home. And, just like a mobile home, there are vast differences in quality. Another thing to consider, is the onsite quality of your contractors. Piss poor local contractors can make a “quality” modular into a less than desirable home! Ask me how I know this!:mad: memtb

I do not live in one but two of my friends do, I have never heard them say a bad word about there homes, they are both very nice,one is 4yrs old the other 1 1/2yrs old !!!!

I lived 18 months in a 3 section single level (Triple wide) and I was impressed at the roominess and space utilization.

I think they are worth looking into. The floorplans, especially 2 story are much more customizable.

I think they make margin on fixtures and upgrades. Think of the various brands like cars...There are Cadillacs and there are AMC's.

With bulding material costs and labor in my part of the country building from the ground up is expensive enough. Might as well let them do the framing and siding and wiring inside with cheaper labor.

There is a hotel nearby being built with modular sections that might help you make a decision

Do your homework, tour models you'd consider buying first, and do your homework! Consider your resale value as well, it may be harder to sell a modular down the road and your sale price may be lower.

I just moved into a modular in the city. Everything people are saying here is correct. We ended up remodeling the kitchen/bathrooms/flooring and nothing was standardized.

Keep an eye on the shower/tub sizes they will try to give you or you will get very small ones. The trim is the other issue. They will just staple paper thin trim along your ceiling line and run the gypsum board straight to the floor if you let them. I would pay extra for a standard electrical system as well or you will get press fit outlets like in a motor home.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back