DIY welding/crafting a Tiny Camper?

That would be nice to pull with it folded down. But I couldn’t imagine getting stuck in it for any length of time. One day of rain and you’re going to have to visit a chiropractor. At least with a normal pop up you can stand up and stretch in more than just one spot in the center or under an awning. This doesn’t give you either of those options.
with a "normal" popup you have to worry about rain leaking through the canvas. There is an older guy that goes to Idaho about the same time I do every year and he has a normal pop-up that is cold and damp all the time from the wet canvas. The A-frame is solid and stays warm and dry regardless of weather. Makes a fantastic home away from home for hunting adventures. Add a small generator and you can stay for days. When it it is just me and my buddies out there, we only go inside to sleep as the portable garage keeps the rain and snow off and gives us plenty of room to cook and enjoy dinner together.

Found the base info that answers my queries above. This is a sweet setup!

View attachment 315995
I was looking to do a cargo trailer conversion until I saw my buddy show up with one of these.
If you look around you can find these here and there. They can be pricy or at least they were during the plandemic. I saw units going for $14k at that time though I am sure prices have retreated from there.
I highly recommend one with the front storage trunk like the one pictured. Most of these come with a torsion axle which makes for a smoother towing experience as well as a super simple "lift kit" install. I raised mine 3" with box tubing and added 14 inch wheels and tires for fantastic ground clearance. I don't have the "slider" box as it takes up too much room. I put 2 tables, cook stove, portable garage and lawn chairs in the front storage box. My buddy's version did not have the front box and he had to pack everything inside. Not bad but not convenient when setting up.
Setup is fast and easy. Park on a level area, raise roof, put up sides and you are done. At most 5 minutes to having the thing setup.

Of course the retailing units they want to sell these that are 2012 models for 13,500 give or take from base model to normal model...
$7k is a fair price, IMO. Double, it's back to me considering building

A bit keeps biting me for a hobby build though my creative juices kick in and leads to trial/error chasing fug up after fug up. Hah!
Reality, welding projects that get my creative juices flowing is my "getaway" from the every day hustle life presents... Just not sure this is the project (complete trailer build) that fits.
I feel you on the excitement that a build can generate. I have walked away from more than one build that quickly consumed time and resources. IF I were to start from scratch, I would do a cargo conversion rather than a build from scratch. I looked at "V" nose cargo's thinking that the "V" nose would be perfect for a kitchen area leaving more floor space for bunks. Another option I would consider is buying a ragged out toy hauler or small camper and do a remodel. Older campers come with a unique set of challenges but most everything you could want is already there (stove, fridge, furnace etc) and will challenge your creativity without having to buy a bunch of stuff.

Im going to vote for the build. We bought a brand new "luxury" travel trailer in 2022. It and every other one Ive seen is a pile of crap. Build quality is on par with what I expect my kindergartner to bring home from art class.

I rebuilt a 1979 Starcraft aluminum boat in 2020-21, from top to bottom. I learned what it meant to build something to my own standard which I consider pretty high. It was done right, and I now have 20 years of use ahead before it should maybe need serious attention again - maybe.

Either start with a good prebuilt box trailer, find a blank frame n axle, or if you really feel up to it, start from the ground up. My sister used to design custom all aluminum horse trailers for a major top quality manufacturer. I wish I could afford that quality or have the time to build my own. Not all things are built equally and you get what you pay for, or build it yourself.

Reactions: CMF
Check out R&R. They will custom build you what you want. You can get an enclosed trailer with a fold out bunk so you can have the best of both worlds. I owned one of these and they are really great trailers.

They are 30 min from me so delivery may be a option when I come out west.

Reactions: CMF
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back