DIY welding/crafting a Tiny Camper?

Buy don’t build. I’m super handy and have built garages, barns, and a house. I’ve posted some of my metal fab in the other thread.

and you're probably not going to come out ahead on the money front...

This is the primary consideration. It's a simple design with one of who knows how many Amazon sold roof tents framed onto the top and a cut out to enter from the floor level. Likely more riveting than welding aside from the actual steel frame and the general Aluminum body that would bolt to the steel trailer portion.

Seems a fun project - that said... half to three quarters the way through this size of a hobby project has me cussing and chasing fugg ups. My mind races on "improvements" such as four corner jacks to raise the upper half for standing room as it sure looks like a kneeling space only design - from the pics.

And then as LuketheDog shared - would I actually save $? I've built a couple flatbed trailers for friends, an 8x4x3 large single hay trailer hinged to scoop and auto winch to hoist the bale for routing as a farm trailer. Mostly I've stayed under budget - though nowhere near under budget if I accounted the time and PITA moments during the process, Haha!

3/4 says buy... 1/4 says fun. Thanks for the input thus far. much appreciated.

Surprisingly, this weighs 700#! It's a very interesting revamp of the "tear drop" style that, IMO is much more practical than that ridiculous tear drop design.

1708007937114.png

1708007960428.png

1708008000316.png

This is the primary consideration. It's a simple design with one of who knows how many Amazon sold roof tents framed onto the top and a cut out to enter from the floor level. Likely more riveting than welding aside from the actual steel frame and the general Aluminum body that would bolt to the steel trailer portion.

Seems a fun project - that said... half to three quarters the way through this size of a hobby project has me cussing and chasing fugg ups. My mind races on "improvements" such as four corner jacks to raise the upper half for standing room as it sure looks like a kneeling space only design - from the pics.

And then as LuketheDog shared - would I actually save $? I've built a couple flatbed trailers for friends, an 8x4x3 large single hay trailer hinged to scoop and auto winch to hoist the bale for routing as a farm trailer. Mostly I've stayed under budget - though nowhere near under budget if I accounted the time and PITA moments during the process, Haha!

Surprisingly, this weighs 700#! It's a very interesting revamp of the "tear drop" style that, IMO is much more practical than that ridiculous tear drop design.

View attachment 315600

View attachment 315601

View attachment 315602

Oh I think you should totally build it, and post pics so we can follow along. I think most of the budget-friendly travel trailers are junk, and you may be able to build a good one cheaper than the expensive rigs that are for sale. It just sounds like a truckload of brain damage :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 315600

View attachment 315601

View attachment 315602
If you are willing to go with these type campers. There are a lot of options that that gladiator will easily pull. I thought you were talking 19 to 20 foot traditional campers from your original post.

View attachment 315600

View attachment 315601

View attachment 315602
This thing is really sweet.

This topic reminds me that I want to sell mine.

An old neighbor built a slide in truck camper from scratch. It turned out great and they used it for many years.

After camping in a canvas tent in a foot of snow and near zero temps while in Idaho, My wife suggested using a horse trailer for a camper. $450.00 for an old ragged out 2 horse trailer off Craigs List and the project was underway. The ONLY thing that is original horse trailer is the front nose and roof. Everything else is fabricated from scratch. It has a 5000 pong mobile home axle that was narrowed to fit the custom 2x3 steel box tubing frame. The sides are 1" square tubing with 20 gauge steel sheets covering the out side. The floor is Trex decking and the interior is spray foamed and lined with FRP. It was wide enough that I could put my quad in it and it slept one guy comfortably. In all I probably spent close to $3000.00 building this. These are the pictures posted to Marketplace when I sold it 6 years or so after the build about 10 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 26
Sold the horse trailer and bought this. It is a 2012 Rockwood Premier "A" Frame camper. It folds flat for towing and it has all the creature comforts of a small camper. My buddy has a similar rig and we use a 10x20 portable garage as a shared common space while in deer camp. We paid $7000.00 for the camper that had only been used about 3 times and a total of about 3 weeks since it was purchased so basically it was new. I have added a 3 inch lift kit and 14 inch wheels and tires since we bought it. It tows like a dream and keeps us warm and dry and has traveled to the North woods of Idaho and into the back country of Nevada.
Point is that you can build one and always want more or find something used that will work for what you want to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2828.JPG
    IMG_2828.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 19
From my experience as a camper and as a professional driver, I would not want to pull a camper with a Gladiator. It’s just not enough vehicle to go any type of distance with a camper of any size.

My current set up is a 23’ 8900lbs camper loaded. A heavy half ton with air bags rated at 13,200 is not enough truck. My cargo capacity is maxed out on tongue weight and the truck feels squirly when there is any wind at all.
I had a gladiator to pull my new boat and felt it was not up to the task. I went and got a half ton full size instead. Jeep claims it can based on specs, it just didn’t feel like it when I was towing it.

I had a gladiator to pull my new boat and felt it was not up to the task. I went and got a half ton full size instead. Jeep claims it can based on specs, it just didn’t feel like it when I was towing it.
Yep, paper and real world are very different. My truck should easily pull my camper. Without the airbags I put on it, the squat was way too much, even with the weight distribution hitch. With the airbags at 70 psi it does better, but still isn’t enough. It doesn’t stiffen the lateral movement from the wind. I really should be in a 3/4 ton at this point and I’m well below the max paper rating.

There are a lot of options that that gladiator will easily pull. I thought you were talking 19 to 20 foot traditional campers from your original post.
Hah! I was trying to figure out what you and @VikingsGuy were speaking about related to trailers when my first post had the article link for the style of tiny camper in this, "DIY...Tiny Camper" OP thread.

I've seen your skill raft in the metalworkers thread and fully agree - not looking to build nor trailer a 21'.

On a positive note that supports Motor Trend's Mid Size Pickup Truck article from 2020 (wife's gladiator year), hers is the exact setup they used...

Steep boat ramps to 2+hr drives... I have a '22 Ram 1500 I typically use to pull though the Gladiator had zero issues pulling our boat.

7864.jpeg

I'm going to say do it. If you're in doubt, take a swing by any trailer store, crawl under/inside/around them and visual inspect the welds, the cuts, the grinds, joints....

Buy a mig, read up, learn when to push or pull, when to dcen or dcep, cut some welds. Measure twice cut three times.

Buy some 2x3, some channel, some Dexter's with brakes, learn where to place your axles, keep it square.

Get some real tires for truck and trailer. Go make memories, learn some skills and have some fun.

Starts with pen and paper.

Some of yall act like you aint ever cut out some d30/amc20/258 to drop in d60/10.25/5.0 into a scrambler and it really shows...

I keep wanting to make a tear drop for hunting. I think it would be a fun project. The cargo trailer conversion would also be an awesome project. I really like the look on the InTech Discover or Forge but they are vary proud of their trailers.

I also think a Lance 1575 would serve all my needs and be cheaper that the InTech options.

I also think a Lance 1575 would serve all my needs and be cheaper that the InTech options.
That’s a nice little rig but not having the option of a microwave would be tough. We use ours a ton on warming prepackaged vac sealed meals from home. It makes the trips so much nicer with no cleanups and just throw and go.

Sold the horse trailer and bought this. It is a 2012 Rockwood Premier "A" Frame camper. It folds flat for towing and it has all the creature comforts of a small camper. My buddy has a similar rig and we use a 10x20 portable garage as a shared common space while in deer camp. We paid $7000.00 for the camper that had only been used about 3 times and a total of about 3 weeks since it was purchased so basically it was new. I have added a 3 inch lift kit and 14 inch wheels and tires since we bought it. It tows like a dream and keeps us warm and dry and has traveled to the North woods of Idaho and into the back country of Nevada.
Point is that you can build one and always want more or find something used that will work for what you want to do.
I've forgotten about these pop up trailers. This is a mega $ (and time) save and more practical use of space, etc!

A bit keeps biting me for a hobby build though my creative juices kick in and leads to trial/error chasing fug up after fug up. Hah!
Reality, welding projects that get my creative juices flowing is my "getaway" from the every day hustle life presents... Just not sure this is the project (complete trailer build) that fits.

The A frame design, all four sides solid that collapse (and fold) for transport? It appears possible fabric combined? It would be interesting to purchase and craft a collapsible with hinged fold points to keep the entire unit solid.

Great post! Has me revamping ideas or you've opened a rabbit hole that I'm going to follow through to China! Haha!

Found the base info that answers my queries above. This is a sweet setup!

Screenshot_20240218-093439.png

Found the base info that answers my queries above. This is a sweet setup!

View attachment 315995
That would be nice to pull with it folded down. But I couldn’t imagine getting stuck in it for any length of time. One day of rain and you’re going to have to visit a chiropractor. At least with a normal pop up you can stand up and stretch in more than just one spot in the center or under an awning. This doesn’t give you either of those options.

Personally, I've never got the teardrop style. If I'm going to hook up and tow a trailer around it's going to be something I can at least stand up in. And the pop-ups usually are made with some type of fabric with a life span, and what are you saving a few bucks on fuel.
I'd do a cargo conversion.
We travel and live in a fifth wheel currently, but once we get off the road and back in a house I'm selling it and building out a cargo trailer for hunting and travel. These campers are all built like crap.
You can build out a cargo trailer and still have water, sewer, and ventilation for condensation. There are some fb groups for cargo trailer conversions with plenty of ideas from small to large.
You definitely don't want to be near the max weights for whatever you build, I am currently at max on my axles and have bent spring hangers, broke leaf springs, etc. I had to take a week to cut off all the existing hangers and add bracing to the frame, etc.
If you do go diy teardrop there are some diy foamie fb groups too.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back