Any hog farmers on here?

🤨 Say what?
Basically the soy causes either stronger or weaker estrogen levels in the body which has been linked to several issues including breast cancer, dementia and osteoporosis. There are several studies that support this but there are several studies that do not support this assumption. Once her mind is made up with regards to a subject it takes an act of God to change her opinion. I just roll with it and adjust.

Basically the soy causes either stronger or weaker estrogen levels in the body which has been linked to several issues including breast cancer, dementia and osteoporosis. There are several studies that support this but there are several studies that do not support this assumption. Once her mind is made up with regards to a subject it takes an act of God to change her opinion. I just roll with it and adjust.

But wouldn't the soy break down in the hog and be meaningless to the consumer? Really don't know.

Not to brag, but I have the best setup for hogs. My neighbor raises them and I butcher them!
That works good! I have a neighbor who is a commercial chicken farmer. He has always offered me chickens but I haven't taken him up on it YET. One bad experience butchering chickens as a kid has kept me from jumping on the offer so far.

But wouldn't the soy break down in the hog and be meaningless to the consumer? Really don't know.
I pinged a guy I went to high school with, who is an Ag professor, about soy alternative feed in swine. His immediate response was a question regarding concern of the estrogenic properties of pork fed soy. I never knew about it until my wife brought it up. Like I said, I don't even try to discount her feelings and just roll with it. The soy is primarily a protein source so it was just a matter of finding alternative protein sources.

A Sawzall with a long blade works well. I have one I use only for butchering.
Looked at buying a stainless "pruning blade" for a sawzall back when I had a cow elk tag. Never got the elk so no need for the blade. Might just revisit that idea. I have seen recommendations to wrap a plastic bag around the end of the saw to improve cleanliness and reduce clean-up.

Make sure when you buy your panels you get the actual hog panels that are tighter spaced and put those to the bottom. Not cattle panels. Get em tight. And don't cheap on the fencer. Also aluminum wire blows. Get the good stuff.

I pinged a guy I went to high school with, who is an Ag professor, about soy alternative feed in swine. His immediate response was a question regarding concern of the estrogenic properties of pork fed soy. I never knew about it until my wife brought it up. Like I said, I don't even try to discount her feelings and just roll with it. The soy is primarily a protein source so it was just a matter of finding alternative protein sources.
Happy wife happy life.

No firsthand experience, but a close friend used to raise one or two each year. His wife would nerd out on feed, pig weights, etc. He said after a few years they switched to covered feeders. I guess they kinda had to teach the pigs how to use them, but they fed considerably less food and had the same or higher hanging weights at slaughter time. Something to think about if you decide to do it.

Would like to scald though we have not decided. Being in Northern Commiefornia, the December butcher date was chosen so we would have cooler temps. Have watched several videos on scalding using hot water and towels or blankets rather than immersion.
My brother has raised hogs a few times and I usually help butcher. We did the hot water/blanket/scrape method once, was a chore and didn’t seem worth it over skinning to me.

Easiest is to buy show hogs that girls can't bear to eat themselves. Those get the high dollar rations. Not much good for bacon, tho.

Next easiest is troll classifieds for free hogs and lie that you're not going to eat their pet that got too big despite having been assured it was a miniature.

Cost effective is to find a restaurant of some sort that will let you haul off their slop. My grandaddy sold a lot of hogs he had no feed bill for that way.

You know hogs stink, right?

Easiest is to buy show hogs that girls can't bear to eat themselves. Those get the high dollar rations. Not much good for bacon, tho.

Next easiest is troll classifieds for free hogs and lie that you're not going to eat their pet that got too big despite having been assured it was a miniature.

Cost effective is to find a restaurant of some sort that will let you haul off their slop. My grandaddy sold a lot of hogs he had no feed bill for that way.

You know hogs stink, right?
Absolutely, my brother answered an ad on craigslist from somebody that needed to re-home their mini-pig.
He "re-homed" it alright. ;) He said it was delicious.

Man, I don't know if I could look at a 10 year old girl in the eye and tell her I was going to re home her pig.....straight into the freezer.
I sent the wife to get pet pigeons from a guy once to train the dog. They didn't make it long. That's OK though when I called the guy he said I better not be one of those hunter assholes who kills his pigeons. I think he was on to me.

tankage may be a good way to supplement the protein if you aren't going to feed soy. We used to add it to our feed mixer for the hogs.

Funny story, when we got rid of the hogs we still had one bag of tankage left. Grandpa said throw it in the mixer for the dairy cow feed so I did. We feed the cows the grain in the milking parlor but they refused to eat the mix with the tankage. Had to remove it all from the grain bin that fed the parlor and create a new batch.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back