anyone here use 223 on hogs or deer?

I believe Indiana is a straight wall centerfire cartridge only state with a minimum of .35 cal., that's probably why you could use 9mm to hunt deer, but I agree, there are better suited cartridges that could filled that requirement.
Used to be the case
Anything.243 and up is legal on private property.
The straight wall thing still applies to public land but there is a minimum case length.
Never could you use a 9mm

Case length must be 1.16 and no greater than 1.8
So mostly revolver type cartridges. Nothing fun like the 45-70. Except on private.

Pull up some of my posts, my grandson uses one n the kid has gotten plenty, I have too; deer and hogs. Use the rt bullet, put it where it needs to be, know ur ranges and capabilities n it’s a fine cartridge.
N for kids on an AR type platform; low recoil + adjustable stock length... money.

Used to be the case
Anything.243 and up is legal on private property.
The straight wall thing still applies to public land but there is a minimum case length.
Never could you use a 9mm
Case length must be 1.16 and no greater than 1.8
So mostly revolver type cartridges. Nothing fun like the 45-70. Except on private.
For clarification, there is no straight wall case requirement. On private land, anything 1.16" long and greater than .243" is legal. On public land .35" and the case cannot be longer than 1.8". 'Twer I to build a public land rifle for Indiana, I'd look to the 358 Hoosier if anyone is still making brass/barrels. A Creedmoor necked up to .35 wouldn't have to be trimmed that much to be legal. In a lever action, I know a few that trim 35 Rem cases to 1.8". With a good crimp they feed fine and would be legal.

For clarification, there is no straight wall case requirement. On private land, anything 1.16" long and greater than .243" is legal. On public land .35" and the case cannot be longer than 1.8". 'Twer I to build a public land rifle for Indiana, I'd look to the 358 Hoosier if anyone is still making brass/barrels. A Creedmoor necked up to .35 wouldn't have to be trimmed that much to be legal. In a lever action, I know a few that trim 35 Rem cases to 1.8". With a good crimp they feed fine and would be legal.
Correct
I knew a couple guys with the Hoosier before the rules were changed.

Hogs? Yes, plenty!
They don't go anywhere with a head shot (obviously), and with a decent understanding of their anatomy, shoulder shots are effective too if placed well. Just know that their vitals are further forward and lower than a deer. If you can't or don't want to head shoot them for whatever reason, a shot through the front shoulder will produce a quick kill when using a stout enough bullet that will penetrate and reach the vitals (literally shoot them through the shoulder). High shoulder shots, where the shoulder meets the spine, anchor them too. If you attempt a traditional "lung shot", like you would shoot a deer, I hope your tracking skills are up to the challenge cause that pig will run a long ways.

Deer, can't say that I have.

My first hog was taken with a .223, 55gr tsx out of a 26" barrel bolt gun at 105 yards. He was around 70-80 pounds and fell where he stood. I've talked to others with similar results. I wouldn't shoot pigs past 150 yards with one, maybe 200 on deer. Make sure it's a stout bullet and you should be fine as long as you make a precise shot at a reasonable distance. There's definitely better rounds out there but in my situation it was the only rifle I had, lugging a 10 pound varmint rifle in the steep stuff for a few miles is rough.

if so, what have your experiences been? I've taken 2 deer with the 223, both at 100m or less, with 60 gr Nosler Partitions. Careful broadside shots and neither one made it more than 25m after the hit. I do not believe that hogs are that tough, having brained quite a few for butchering with a .22lr rifle.
Have some property in central Texas and hogs have become a problem. Always heard they were tough animals requiring larger caliber weapons. After shooting them with .270+ size rifles, started shooting them with a 5.56 AR with good success. FMJ cheap bullets. Don’t expect a blood trail but haven’t lost one yet. Would not recommend it if there is thick brush because you may not find them.

I watched a hunting partner kill a decent-sized mulie with a 55 gr. TSX from a .223 a few years ago and was extremely impressed - the bullet passed through completely, both lungs were jelly, and the buck made it about 15 yards before tipping over. Pretty ideal.

used a 222-223 0n lots n lots of deers,all 50 to 55 gr
at moment using the 55 hornady sp on up to large red deer

I have shot a few wild hogs and used a 22LR, 22hornet, 256 winchester & a 243. Bullet placement is key as all were meat hunts

77gr TMK is the answer for .223. Use it and don’t look back. There is a very long thread on Rokslide about that Bullet.

You're instinct is correct on hogs... it's a lot more about shot placement than what you're using. Dowm here people use anything and everything to hunt those bad boys.

Best on game experience with 223 has been with 65gr SGK. I’ve (my daughter, actually) tried the 62gr TSX on 2 deer, and both died within 100yd, but 0 blood trail. H4895 powder. This has all been on deer

I think it's more a problem with the blood trail. My daughter shot a spike this past season that dropped about 70 yards out. It was a learning opportunity, so I made her start where the deer was standing and search for the blood trail. Well, we searched hard for any blood and didn't find a trace till we got about 5 yards from the deer. She shot the deer at 30 yards and the bullet was lodged just under the shoulder on the opposite side...., it didn't fully pass through. I believe its a 70 grain Remington load we were using. If you make a good shot it's probably not an issue, but you might lose deer that run into thick stuff from lack of blood trail.

A couple of years ago a buddy shot a deer with .223. There were six of us and we had to spread out and cover ground to find the deer. Again, no blood trail even though he knew he hit it well. The deer was about 150 yards away in thick woods and generally in the direction it was last seen.

I killed hogs with the following 22lr, 22 hornet, 256 win, 222 and a 243, arrows.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back