anyone here use 223 on hogs or deer?

noggin shots with my 223 for hogs, with copper slugs or 75 grains I would consider heart shots but my rifle doesn't shoot the heavier loads well

Sorry yes I own a .223 Rem and see no reason to use it on Deer or Antelope when I have much better rifles for the task.
If it's all you have and its legal go ahead but I like the idea of .243 or larger as is the law in some States.
We each have to decide what to use and I choose not to use a .223 Rem.

Yep. It's probably one of my favorite calibers. If I had to have one gun, it would be in .223 Rem.

We've probably shot 5 deer now that I can think of with it. Only 1 has taken a step after they were shot. All of them have been take with Barnes 55gr TTSX.

Just make sure you have enough twist for the bullet!

60gr Vmax won’t stabilize in a 12”
*64gr BSB won’t stabilize in a 14”
60gr Part won’t stabilize in a 14”
62gr Swift won’t stabilize in a 12”
70gr AB won’t stabilize in a 12”

I know most .223 Rem don’t come in a 14” twist, but almost .222Rems and .22-250Rems do come with a 14”. The 64gr BSB is just BAARRRRLLY stable in a 14” if you’re warm enough or at high enough elevation.

It’s pretty common knowledge that most of the heavier bullets require more twist, BUT my list above is primarily because when I started shooting, a 12” twist was considered enough for up to 65gr, and 69gr bullets required a 9”. You really weren’t likely to go wrong. The original 60gr Part was suitable for a 14” twist, but it was redesigned and will no longer work. The other bullets seem innocuous enough and last time bought them, they didn’t have a twist recommendation on the box. Today, you can run into twist issues pretty easily if you don’t pay attention ESPECIALLY with .224” bullets.

Last edited:
Just make sure you have enough twist for the bullet!

60gr Vmax won’t stabilize in a 12”
*64gr BSB won’t stabilize in a 14”
60gr Part won’t stabilize in a 14”
62gr Swift won’t stabilize in a 12”
70gr AB won’t stabilize in a 12”

I know most .223 Rem don’t come in a 14” twist, but almost .222Rems and .22-250Rems do come with a 14”. The 64gr BSB is just BAARRRRLLY stable in a 14” if you’re warm enough or at high enough elevation.

Good reminder here.. Both of my rifles have relatively fast twist rifling. One is 1 in 9 the other is 1 in 7. They both shoot anything as heavy as I want to shoot relatively well. The 1:9 shoots 75 grain Gold Dot bullets from Speer better than the 1:7 does but the 1:7 twist rifle is exceptionally accurate with 69 gr Sierra hpbts both shoot 50 grain Vmax bullets lights out with Benchmark powder and moderate loads..

I use the 62gr Gold Dot bullets to great affect with both rifles with the same hot load of AA 2520. It's my go to load for deer hunting and calling coyotes..

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back