anyone here use 223 on hogs or deer?

reesej

if so, what have your experiences been? I've taken 2 deer with the 223, both at 100m or less, with 60 gr Nosler Partitions. Careful broadside shots and neither one made it more than 25m after the hit. I do not believe that hogs are that tough, having brained quite a few for butchering with a .22lr rifle.

I have pronghorn. Based on that experience and that of folks I trust, with the right bullet I'd have no problem taking a 223 after deer. Wish it was legal here in IN, but the rifle rules here are dumb.

i've heard that you can hunt deer in indiana with a 9mm? that's dumb, if so, when 223 is 4x as powerful and not legal.

I have pronghorn. Based on that experience and that of folks I trust, with the right bullet I'd have no problem taking a 223 after deer. Wish it was legal here in IN, but the rifle rules here are dumb.
40 years ago, Bill Wilson told me Arkansas lets you hunt deer with a full auto AR in 9mm with a silencer on it, yet. Game laws sure are dumb.

I have a 223 that I load with 65 grain seirra spitzer boattails. Have killed numerous pronghorn and mule deer with it and slays em everytime. I think the farthest I've had a deer go was like 80 yards and that's cuz my buddy gut shot it. I've been very impressed with the damage it does to them

what rifling twist barrel length and powder charge are you using?is that the gameking sbt?

My daughter and I have shot a dozen or so deer with 223s. The farthest was a little over 230 yards. We have used 62 gr Federal Fusions, 62 gr Barnes TTSXs, a 75 gr HP in a factory load, and 77 gr Sierra TMKs. Although all have resulted in one shot kills, I would highly recommend the TTSXs and the TMKs. We use 7” and 8” twist barrels.

BTW - @PNWGator and his wife have lots of experience with the 223 and 77 gr TMK on big game - some very big.

I've killed between 15 and 20 deer and helped youth hunters kill an equal amount of deer with 223 rifles. Ranges from 230 yards to less than 10.

Put it in the boiler room, use a well constructed bullet and it is up to the task.. I wouldn't hesitate to use one on hogs either.. YMMV

Down here in TX an AR with 5.56 or .223 is the go to for hogs. Headshots drop them every time. I have also shot many deer with a .223 and it works just as well as my 30.06. I will say I don't think it is as forgiving so bullet placement is paramount.

My daughter killed a pronghorn with .223, Sierra factory load pushing a 64 grain tipped Game King. Range was 150 yards broadside. Bullet exited. Pronghorn went approx. 30 yards after the hit. I was impressed by the damage that little 64 grain bullet did. Gun has a 22" 1:9 twist. I haven't shot them, but bet 62 grain TTSX or 70 grain Accubond would buy you a better margin for error. The wind does mess with these small pills quite a bit.

.223 and head neck shots on pigs, yes. Jump shooting big boars in the brush, better go heavier.

I have never done it but no doubt in my mind it's simply not that hard. Might thnk the most important part is choosing the bullet but I'm not so sure of that either. I think the most important part is how you use the bullet you choose. Say you have a 50gr SX in the 223. I do believe that with it placed exactly behind the head and into the spine, game over. I also think people that do it are simply wanting to show off, better bullet's for the 223 for deer. I'm not a Nosler fan but in a case like this I would use a partition and not worry to awful much. I'd pretty much also stick to 200yds max and neck shots. The big drawack for me is that there are a lot better cartridges with very little recoil that give a better range of shot placement.

Something all the cartridges do is give a bunch of options for hunting deer that leave something to be desired. Shoot, depending on the bullet and placement a 22 Hornet will do the job. But I wouldn't suggest trying it at 500yds! Speaking of that, while I was in the service there was a story going around about the 5.56. Someone came out with the idea that you hit someone in the arm at 500yds and it'll break every bone in the arm! Amazing!

I’ve killed a few hundred hogs with m193 or m855 out of 10.5-16” barreled AR’s. My go to hog guns are 12.5” uppers.

killed quite a few deer with MK262 ammo and 16-18 barrels.
I almost make it a point to take doe with the AR and MK262. Double lung, little meat damage and quick death.

i've heard that you can hunt deer in indiana with a 9mm? that's dumb, if so, when 223 is 4x as powerful and not legal.
I believe Indiana is a straight wall centerfire cartridge only state with a minimum of .35 cal., that's probably why you could use 9mm to hunt deer, but I agree, there are better suited cartridges that could filled that requirement.

Although I've never personally taken one with a .223/5.56, I once came across a hog hunter that was using a .204 Ruger, and he was very good at getting one shot kills, told me he only took head shots only, and the bed of his pickup had 5 dead hogs as proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back