Anybody else have spare scopes for thier Hunting Rifles

Mustangs Rule

For most every big game hunting rifle, I have a spare scope, in my pack, with attached Leopold standard rings, already sighted it. Just take off the old/damaged one, put the spare scope on, deal done.

Well before season, I take it off, put is on, shoot it and repeat this process several times to see how much POI has changed. Always does a little, an inch at most, usually less.

My spare scopes are either 2.5, 3 or 4 power old but restored Weavers. Probably my favorite is the 2.5x Aluminum Weaver made in Japan. It is light, short.

Only needed to change a scope once. Was hunting the steep canyon country, jumped a little dry creek, slipped and my rifle landed really hard on the scope and hard ground.

Felt good to change the scope and not worry.

MR

I don't have spare scopes... spare rifles. I am from the "keep it simple" way of thinking. All model 70's. All 3x9x40 Burris with Plex. All three .270's are set up at same point of impact with identical bullets/FPS, etc.. No guessing or remembering. I would never ever hunt without first verifying, but in 20+ years I have never had a scope move ( just jinxed myself).

My other model 70's shoot different pills, but the scopes are the same.

Nope but I bring a spare rifle or two every hunt. If somethings happens to my gun or scope I go back to camp. Just as much chance to have a problem with a gun as scope. In my 30 years of hunting I haven't yet had a scope move even when dropped, airplane horse or boat rides. But then I only have Leupold Scopes. I have had a gun bolt assy freeze up and a safety get really sticky. So I swapped out gun at camp and then killed an elk. Maybe it was good luck.

No spare rifle or spare scope.....I like living dangerously...

Seriously though, I think I'd rather have a spare rifle someday. Funny thing is I have had good luck with my rifle/scope but three times I've been up the creek with my bow. The first time I broke my 30 yd pin on a branch the first day of the hunt and the second and third time I had problems right before a hunt. Once I was able to get it fixed in time. The second time I bought a used bow so I have a spare now.

I carry a spare rifle. I've needed it once. I slid down a hill and landed on my primary gun. Shot it at 100 yards later in the day at a target, and didn't hit the target. Switched to my spare gun and shot a deer later that trip.

Travel with spare rifle. Leaning towards migrating to rifles that have irons as backups for longer trips.

I am not talking about bringing another rifle along on a hunting trip. I am talking about bringing another scope with me on my hunt.

When hunting in rough, rocky country I always have a spare scope with me,,,with rings on, sighted in, and with the little torch wrench to change scopes in the field,,,like then and there in needed as I described in my introductory post.

Tucked away and cushioned I always bring another scope with me. Usially a light small fixed power

The only time I do not do this is if I have iron sights,,,all sighted in of course.

Some years back I was hunting over looking the ocean and a thick pea soup dripping fog came in. I just took off my scope and hunted with iron sights.

Packing another scope while on a hunt doesn't seem practical. More weight, and it would probably get thrown around in my pack anyway. No way I trust that. mtmuley

Spare rifle.... usually carried by my hunting partner(s). If one of us has a breakdown, then we would certainly lend our partner our rifles.

I would never do it with weaver rings and bases. They can move POI a couple inches.

With leopold rings and bases,,,with all bases and rings screws locktited, I have taken them off and on so many times at the range, just to see how much POI might move. A little over an inch was the most.

With Sako Optic rings,,,on my Sako rifle I could not tell any difference. With leopold rings and bases on my Sako Rifle,,,back to the same fat inch at most. Nothing to effect hunting accuracy for me.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back