Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Anybody else have spare scopes for thier Hunting Rifles

Mustangs Rule

For most every big game hunting rifle, I have a spare scope, in my pack, with attached Leopold standard rings, already sighted it. Just take off the old/damaged one, put the spare scope on, deal done.

Well before season, I take it off, put is on, shoot it and repeat this process several times to see how much POI has changed. Always does a little, an inch at most, usually less.

My spare scopes are either 2.5, 3 or 4 power old but restored Weavers. Probably my favorite is the 2.5x Aluminum Weaver made in Japan. It is light, short.

Only needed to change a scope once. Was hunting the steep canyon country, jumped a little dry creek, slipped and my rifle landed really hard on the scope and hard ground.

Felt good to change the scope and not worry.

MR

I don't have spare scopes... spare rifles. I am from the "keep it simple" way of thinking. All model 70's. All 3x9x40 Burris with Plex. All three .270's are set up at same point of impact with identical bullets/FPS, etc.. No guessing or remembering. I would never ever hunt without first verifying, but in 20+ years I have never had a scope move ( just jinxed myself).

My other model 70's shoot different pills, but the scopes are the same.

Nope but I bring a spare rifle or two every hunt. If somethings happens to my gun or scope I go back to camp. Just as much chance to have a problem with a gun as scope. In my 30 years of hunting I haven't yet had a scope move even when dropped, airplane horse or boat rides. But then I only have Leupold Scopes. I have had a gun bolt assy freeze up and a safety get really sticky. So I swapped out gun at camp and then killed an elk. Maybe it was good luck.

No spare rifle or spare scope.....I like living dangerously...

Seriously though, I think I'd rather have a spare rifle someday. Funny thing is I have had good luck with my rifle/scope but three times I've been up the creek with my bow. The first time I broke my 30 yd pin on a branch the first day of the hunt and the second and third time I had problems right before a hunt. Once I was able to get it fixed in time. The second time I bought a used bow so I have a spare now.

I carry a spare rifle. I've needed it once. I slid down a hill and landed on my primary gun. Shot it at 100 yards later in the day at a target, and didn't hit the target. Switched to my spare gun and shot a deer later that trip.

Travel with spare rifle. Leaning towards migrating to rifles that have irons as backups for longer trips.

I am not talking about bringing another rifle along on a hunting trip. I am talking about bringing another scope with me on my hunt.

When hunting in rough, rocky country I always have a spare scope with me,,,with rings on, sighted in, and with the little torch wrench to change scopes in the field,,,like then and there in needed as I described in my introductory post.

Tucked away and cushioned I always bring another scope with me. Usially a light small fixed power

The only time I do not do this is if I have iron sights,,,all sighted in of course.

Some years back I was hunting over looking the ocean and a thick pea soup dripping fog came in. I just took off my scope and hunted with iron sights.

Packing another scope while on a hunt doesn't seem practical. More weight, and it would probably get thrown around in my pack anyway. No way I trust that. mtmuley

Spare rifle.... usually carried by my hunting partner(s). If one of us has a breakdown, then we would certainly lend our partner our rifles.

I would never do it with weaver rings and bases. They can move POI a couple inches.

With leopold rings and bases,,,with all bases and rings screws locktited, I have taken them off and on so many times at the range, just to see how much POI might move. A little over an inch was the most.

With Sako Optic rings,,,on my Sako rifle I could not tell any difference. With leopold rings and bases on my Sako Rifle,,,back to the same fat inch at most. Nothing to effect hunting accuracy for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back