Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anybody else have spare scopes for thier Hunting Rifles

Mustangs Rule...so for every big game rifle you own, you have a backup scope along with your primary scope? How many rifles like this are we talking?

I understand that you are talking about bringing a spare scope and not a spare rifle. I bring a spare rifle instead of a spare scope. It's an inexpensive Ruger American in 7MM-08 with a decent scope. The whole set up set me back about $700 -$800 and that way I have a spare ready to shoot without any verifying while in the field.

Now that my old Springfield has a high ramp front sight (with a glamorous African hood), I'll be adding one of these detachable rear sights to my pack in case my scope breaks down. It clamps onto Weaver base or p rail.
Weaver Peep Lrg.jpg

Last edited:
I understand that you are talking about bringing a spare scope and not a spare rifle. I bring a spare rifle instead of a spare scope. It's an inexpensive Ruger American in 7MM-08 with a decent scope. The whole set up set me back about $700 -$800 and that way I have a spare ready to shoot without any verifying while in the field.
If both rifles are the same cartridge do you have separate ammo for each?

So, do you carry two rifles with you in the field? Pretty dedicated if you do.

My speciality as a hunter is rough, steep, rocky, terrain. I am lucky that at my age, 73, I can still hunt the steep stuff, where slips are so easy as is getting a scope banged up. That is why I carry a spare scope. The thing about hunting really steep country is that game recovery can be a lot easier than one might think,,,,just dragging a deer down a dry grassy steep slope, it can even get ahead of me.

There is hardly a hunt I have where slips or falls are not looming. I wear old style Italian hiking boots with hard vibram soles with a sharp edge for "knife-ing into snow crust or frozen ground. I carry a special hand made tripod with three 5/8" x 48" oak dowels held togther by "rubber bands" I cut out of motorcycle tire tubes. The 48" dowells have metal spikes sticking out to "bite/grip" into almost any surface.

Mustangs Rule...so for every big game rifle you own, you have a backup scope along with your primary scope? How many rifles like this are we talking?
I have been buying, selling, swapping used rifles for over 50 years. I am not a dealer, just hooked on vintage rifles, many of which came with a scope,,often Weaver K series fixed power scopes from 2.5X, 3X, 4x and a few 6X's. I used to be able to get them rebuilt,,,if needed,,for $25,,,now it is $100. Same goes for rings on used rifles. As mentioned above, weaver rings and bases move 2 to 3 inches going on and off, Leopold,,,,or old Redfields, move an inch going on and off, and Sako rings move hardly at all.

So I have a drawer full of such scopes and rings. Also I have never bought a new scope except for a 2 to 7 power Leopold Ultralight. Even my variables came second hand,,,2.5X to 8x power leopold and several Burris 3 to 9 Fulfields,,,which are a really servicable scopes, and the ones made here have a lifetime warranty which Burris honors. These scopes have a thicker reticles which work great with old eyes and dim light.

I have 7 hunting rifles, a custom 35 Whelen on a FN Belgium action. It has fine iron sights so only one scope. A pre-64 model 70 ,270 with fine iron sites too, so just one Fixed K-4 Weaver,,,,and from then on all have a variable scope with spare fixed power Weaver on rings sighted in and ready to swap out in a minute.

You also have to add in that I usd to hunt with horses, and they can be very very hard on a rifle in a saddle scabbard, rubbing, bumping into trees . All the more reason for spare scopes. Those old steel tube Weaver scopes were so strong too

I have been buying, selling, swapping used rifles for over 50 years. I am not a dealer, just hooked on vintage rifles, many of which came with a scope,,often Weaver K series fixed power scopes from 2.5X, 3X, 4x and a few 6X's. I used to be able to get them rebuilt,,,if needed,,for $25,,,now it is $100. Same goes for rings on used rifles. As mentioned above, weaver rings and bases move 2 to 3 inches going on and off, Leopold,,,,or old Redfields, move an inch going on and off, and Sako rings move hardly at all.

So I have a drawer full of such scopes and rings. Also I have never bought a new scope except for a 2 to 7 power Leopold Ultralight. Even my variables came second hand,,,2.5X to 8x power leopold and several Burris 3 to 9 Fulfields,,,which are a really servicable scopes, and the ones made here have a lifetime warranty which Burris honors. These scopes have a thicker reticles which work great with old eyes and dim light.

I have 7 hunting rifles, a custom 35 Whelen on a FN Belgium action. It has fine iron sights so only one scope. A pre-64 model 70 ,270 with fine iron sites too, so just one Fixed K-4 Weaver,,,,and from then on all have a variable scope with spare fixed power Weaver on rings sighted in and ready to swap out in a minute.

You also have to add in that I usd to hunt with horses, and they can be very very hard on a rifle in a saddle scabbard, rubbing, bumping into trees . All the more reason for spare scopes. Those old steel tube Weaver scopes were so strong too

Hope I didn't come across judgemental. I appreciate your explanation. I just never really thought about your proposal of having a back up scope. I don't hunt too far from home but I usually have a second gun in a light weight and semi automatic configuration for walking the woods vs sitting in a stand.

Hope I didn't come across judgemental. I appreciate your explanation. I just never really thought about your proposal of having a back up scope. I don't hunt too far from home but I usually have a second gun in a light weight and semi automatic configuration for walking the woods vs sitting in a stand.
Thank you for responding to my post,,,by and large I like lever actions and old pre 64 winchesters model 70's. You might enjoy my choice of firearms for another adventure I just described in a post in the "Firearms" section

Thanks again for your response,

I have several older Remington 700 left hand rifles and I doubt that anyone in Wyoming, much less Douglas would have an extractor for them. I usually take a spare with me. Don't know if they would accept a current issue extractor. I do have a NIB Leupold scope that I have not decided on which gun to put it. I could always swap and use the existing scope as the spare.

My spare rifle is the only 7MM-08 that I own, so it has separate ammo.
For my 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI the ammo is different enough that it shouldn't be confused. If I was taking both 6.5-06s it would be great if they both shot the same load otherwise I'd load one in brass and the other in nickel plated. I usually take 2 guns so no real need for the spare scope.

I thought every Hunter was judged by the "Extras" he has 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂
I set up most of my Rifles with 1" high see through bases and fiber optic fixed sights.
And always have 1 or 2 backup Rifles in tow. Even on horse back I carry a 30-30 on the packhorse J I C someone in the group my need a standby.

I know a guy who takes out two crossbows when he hunts during the rut. He is afraid that having a cocked crossbow sitting idle all day will ruin it so every few hours he takes the cocked crossbow, uncocks it, lets it sit, then gets the second one set up for the next couple hours.

I agree horse hunting can be hard on gear. We're we hunt in the Routh Nat'l forest in Colorado the Aspen trees can be a pain on the trails, so many deadfalls. Older "Dead broke" horses are the way to go. Specialy if you "Make your own trail"
It's the Adventure, not always the hunt.
But when 4 people bag 4 Elk in a day, Wow. That's memories to talk about in camp, wile the horses guard the meat and everyone brags about "Their Elk"

It's not always the game, as Randy has said more than once. It's about the Heart and Soul of the Company your with, and the Adventure 😂

If for some reason I cant bring a spare rifle with a scope on it. I have a VX3 3.5-10x40 In its box that I carry along. In about 30 years of hunting a few hours from home to traveling across the country I have only once had to use my spare rifle and never had to swap out a scope.

I was getting my truck after a deer hunt in AL and I dropped by primary rifle from about waste high onto the stone area I was parked on. I noticed a pretty good mark on the very top of the scope tube. Enough to concern me.

The next morning I used my spare rifle which is as good quality and my primary. When I got finished with my morning hunt and back to camp I went over to the range and checked my zero on the one I dropped. Turns out it was right on and the mark on the scope rubbed off.

Havent ever thought about a spare scope but I hunt with same group of guys every year and one of us always brings a spare rifle to camp. A few years ago, one of the guys ended up with a broken extractor from an out of spec cartridge that was jammed in the barrel. It wasn't removable in the field and the spare came in handy. We have had a couple of falls that screwed up scopes but the spare rifle fits the bill fine.

Now that my old Springfield has a high ramp front sight (with a glamorous African hood), I'll be adding one of these detachable rear sights to my pack in case my scope breaks down. It clamps onto Weaver base or p rail.
View attachment 191358
Very Cool. I have one like that for my Sako. Also have the iron sights on my model 70 270 sighted in just in case there is ever need. THanks for the response

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back