Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What do I do?

Before he died and after he had gone on his last hunt my Dad gave me his Mark X in 308. It had an old Tasco scope on it that I had laying around taken off of a rifle I had bought. He didnt care much about buying a scope and he only shot deer at a range of about 100 yards max where he liked to sit. That Tasco was the worst thing I ever looked through. Honestly I havent hunted with the rifle but plan to sometime. I decided after some thought to put a better scope on it so I put on a Bushnell Elite 4200 And replaced the rings with Talley LWs. I figure now its our rifle not just his old rifle. I figure I merged father and sons tastes into one rifle. Not sure when I will use it.

I say neither. If you plan on shooting 400 yards with it, that’s quite a but if drop to be guessing. Get a scope you can dial and be accurate.

Alright Hunt Talk, I need opinions. I was recently gifted a rifle from my grandfather and I plan on hunting with it this fall. I know we all strive to have the best possible glass while hunting, but this is more a question of what is serviceable. I have two low-quality scopes to chose from.
The rifle is currently topped with a fixed 4x magnification weaver scope. My other option is a 3-9 variable power barska scope that I had laying around.
View attachment 235553
Pros of the weaver:
1. It’s already mounted on the rifle
2.it’s already sighted in and I know it works
Pros of the barska:
1. It’s got more magnification
2. … that’s all I got

I plan on hunting black bear and elk with the gun. It’s a 30-06 and I usually limit myself to 400 yards and closer, but I will limit my max range even more with a fixed power scope.

I have plenty of time to sight in the new scope, and worst case scenario: go back to the weaver and sight that one back in before hunting season.

What say you?
My first deer rifle was a 760 w/ a Weaver K6...the Weaver finally quit & it has a VX2 3x9x40. Still critter accurate & son has it his safe. The K6 Dual X was a vast improvement in it's day.

My son has my old Rem 660 these days. When I let him have it it had a 2 3/4x Redfield 4Plex CCH scope on it. Made in Denver! Didn't take him long and he decided it needed a 3-9x scope on it. Strange thing though, I don't think he ever shoots it and don't recall ever seeing him hunt with it! Boy in my time that was an absolute dream! I have that scope on a 30-06 now. Used it for elk and worked fine. Unfortunatelly I'm getting long in the tooth anymore and don't hunt elk anymore!

Something about modern tools, rifles and cartridges. If you don't do your part, they won't do their's! We have bullet's that sound like they will make us 500yds shooter's just by being there. Scopes that can spot a hair on a tick's butt at greatly extended range and today the advice for buying a scope is relatively simple. Just pay more for the scope than the rifle.

Weaver!!!!

I shot my first mule deer at 470yds with a fixed 4X, and it wasn’t even as good as that Weaver you have.

Weaver!

I bought a Barske once.
First time at the range something that resembled a large metal flake appeared in the middle of the reticle.
Tried unsuccessfully to get hold of Barska for warranty.

Scope went in the trash bin.

Looking back, i should have tried to do a Hathcock with it.

I would go with the weaver. I had an old pump 270 from my grandpa with a fixed 6 power weaver and it was a great combo.

There are some crappy Weavers(the current ones likely fit that description). The one the OP has is a good one. It’s a great scope.

Next year get a 3x9 , a decent one. Or leave that old setup as it is. Those old Weavers were passable for scopes.
Throw away anything with a Barska name on it or give it to a neighbor as a joke...I did. He still can't see the deer in his yard with that spotter. Junk.

That’s a classic setup. I think if you mess with Grandpa’s setup, you’ll regret that decision.
I agree that is about as real as it gets. That's an old school big game hunter set up. Get some time behind it and you will figure out the "Kentucky Windage" you're gonna need to be successful and ethical. That setup has prolly got more kills on it than the local bartenders flyswatter.

Alright Hunt Talk, I need opinions. I was recently gifted a rifle from my grandfather and I plan on hunting with it this fall. I know we all strive to have the best possible glass while hunting, but this is more a question of what is serviceable. I have two low-quality scopes to chose from.
The rifle is currently topped with a fixed 4x magnification weaver scope. My other option is a 3-9 variable power barska scope that I had laying around.
View attachment 235553
Pros of the weaver:
Pros of the barska:
2. … that’s all I got

I plan on hunting black bear and elk with the gun. It’s a 30-06 and I usually limit myself to 400 yards and closer, but I will limit my max range even more with a fixed power scope.

I have plenty of time to sight in the new scope, and worst case scenario: go back to the weaver and sight that one back in before hunting season.

What say you?
Take it to the range and shoot them. Find out which one “you” like the best and shoot the best with. Time behind the trigger and proper shooting form will always beat out rather one scope or the other is better.

Saw 4 or 5 of these 760s come through when i was working public rifle sight in day at my local range a week ago. Every one grouped awful. From a bench with unlimited time shooting at paper - 100 yards was about max to shoot ethically at whitetail deer sized vitals type awful. I think in some cases it was the mounting system not holding things in place so I would make sure every thing is loctighted and torqued appropriately there before worrying about the scope.

View attachment 235553
Pros of the weaver:
Pros of the barska:
2. … that’s all I got

What say you?

Why? If the rifle is accurate, the scope is sufficient. Magnification does not equal range. That seems to be popular misconception.

Saw 4 or 5 of these 760s come through when i was working public rifle sight in day at my local range a week ago. Every one grouped awful. From a bench with unlimited time shooting at paper - 100 yards was about max to shoot ethically at whitetail deer sized vitals type awful. I think in some cases it was the mounting system not holding things in place so I would make sure every thing is loctighted and torqued appropriately there before worrying about the scope.
That’s interesting. Mine shoots really well. At 200 yards I’ve consistently got fist sized groups. 300 was a bit of a struggle but I figured I’d limit myself to 200.

Back