What do I do?

RyGuy

Alright Hunt Talk, I need opinions. I was recently gifted a rifle from my grandfather and I plan on hunting with it this fall. I know we all strive to have the best possible glass while hunting, but this is more a question of what is serviceable. I have two low-quality scopes to chose from.
The rifle is currently topped with a fixed 4x magnification weaver scope. My other option is a 3-9 variable power barska scope that I had laying around.
070F538C-C05B-44FA-AB09-37DEFED860AB.jpeg
Pros of the weaver:
1. It’s already mounted on the rifle
2.it’s already sighted in and I know it works
Pros of the barska:
1. It’s got more magnification
2. … that’s all I got

I plan on hunting black bear and elk with the gun. It’s a 30-06 and I usually limit myself to 400 yards and closer, but I will limit my max range even more with a fixed power scope.

I have plenty of time to sight in the new scope, and worst case scenario: go back to the weaver and sight that one back in before hunting season.

What say you?

If you are limiting yourself to those two I’d stick with the weaver and go make some memories!

Those rifles are fun, I have one in 30-06 too but would like to pick up another one or two someday…

I find that clarity and light transmission are more important than magnification in hunting applications.

That weaver has that in spades over that Barska. I know I’d use it if limited to just those two.

If you are wanting classic lines and affordability, I’d do some eBay or asking around and find a used Leupold VX-1 somewhere. It would look good on the gun, lend well to the classic look, and offer meaningful performance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back