MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

Yeah I’m fully sold out of o&g except for a couple tanker stocks. Sold PR at 10.67. I had bought that when it was cdev during the pandemic low at $0.33. Fairly solid 3 year return on that one 😂
I decided to ride the 3k + a year dividend gravy train and wait for the next gusher. Better than buying zombie banks right now.

Pacwest next bank to fall !
People pulling cash out no deposits going in , only propped up by Feds.

Yeah I’m fully sold out of o&g except for a couple tanker stocks. Sold PR at 10.67. I had bought that when it was cdev during the pandemic low at $0.33. Fairly solid 3 year return on that one 😂
Big demand by Chinese for Super Tankers.
Last 2 years great returns on XLE / VDE over 100% expect a great 2nd half 2023 in Energy.

Thinking out loud here

Looking for 25bps today and a conference where Powell talks about a pause. The conference is more important than the rate. Fed knows that the run to put excess deposits into Tbills and money markets is restrictive monetary policy at light-speed. Those deposits are the $$$'s used to make loans. Now that they are in assets like TBills, money market funds, etc, they can't be leant. This means higher rates and spreads on mortgages and car loans and HELOCs. Does the Fed acknowledge this? They can see bank flows real time, but we can't. Stocks are back to looking pretty expensive at 18.5x trailing and forward earnings still seem high, even more so now with bank problems. Anything perceived as dovish that causes stocks to rise sharply, I will most likely fade.

To @wllm post, energy curve is flat and oversupplied on front end, but at least the space is cheap. Should start refilling the SPR at these prices which will help take some of the excess off? The recession odds have increased and that is putting pressure on the space, so not without risk. Watching sentiment in precious metals get better while sentiment in grains tanks. Big fund repositioning?

I'm keeping powder dry until I see a reaction on the decision and if nothing jumps out I will listen to the conference and see what happens.

Thinking out loud here

Looking for 25bps today and a conference where Powell talks about a pause. The conference is more important than the rate. Fed knows that the run to put excess deposits into Tbills and money markets is restrictive monetary policy at light-speed. Those deposits are the $$$'s used to make loans. Now that they are in assets like TBills, money market funds, etc, they can't be leant. This means higher rates and spreads on mortgages and car loans and HELOCs. Does the Fed acknowledge this? They can see bank flows real time, but we can't. Stocks are back to looking pretty expensive at 18.5x trailing and forward earnings still seem high, even more so now with bank problems. Anything perceived as dovish that causes stocks to rise sharply, I will most likely fade.

To @wllm post, energy curve is flat and oversupplied on front end, but at least the space is cheap. Should start refilling the SPR at these prices which will help take some of the excess off? The recession odds have increased and that is putting pressure on the space, so not without risk. Watching sentiment in precious metals get better while sentiment in grains tanks. Big fund repositioning?

I'm keeping powder dry until I see a reaction on the decision and if nothing jumps out I will listen to the conference and see what happens.

you forgot to mention GME up 35-40%

;)

Thinking out loud here

Spot on . . .

Thinking out loud here

So this chart today,
When do banks begin raising the interest on deposit to match the money markets etc. If they don't and lending ceases should we be worried more about deflation instead of inflation?FrxXCsYaAAAEBHE.png

you forgot to mention GME up 35-40%

;)
I try not to think about things that have no explanation. ;)

So this chart today,
When do banks begin raising the interest on deposit to match the money markets etc. If they don't and lending ceases should we be worried more about deflation instead of inflation?
Exactly. Any area that is dependent on leverage (borrowing) is concerning, like REITs, particularly commercial REITs.

I try not to think about things that have no explanation. ;)

Exactly. Any area that is dependent on leverage (borrowing) is concerning, like REITs, particularly commercial REITs.
Would REITs be the major thing you would be concerned about. Since we are a debt based economy I can see everything slowing down significantly, homes, cars etc.

Would REITs be the major thing you would be concerned about. Since we are a debt based economy I can see everything slowing down significantly, homes, cars etc.
Agree. Those areas get hit, residential homes activity already have, but I picked Commercial REITs as far as a "crisis" that might cause larger problems and spill-over into other areas. In addition lots of Credit Unions make loans to businesses and keep those loans on their books. They may see problems, too. It is just a place to keep an eye on. Default and delinquencies remain low, but that data tends to lag.

Highlights from the Fed meeting:

Highlights from the Fed meeting:

I did a bunch of nothing, which may be the best trade. I note it's never a good sign when the Chairman mentions your asset class (Commercial RE) and says everything there is fine and stable, and those equities lead the way down for the day (-3.6%).

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back