Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

Good read @Trial153

This is pretty darn spot on.

The market may be down 30%-plus, but machines are feasting on the intraday moves as they “buy the dip” and quickly sell (or buy) in the final hours. These big swings are worth millions of dollars when a machine is timing the intraday entries and exits.

I sold (bought my sell) NVDA earlier this morning. Market wavering for the upside. Spun it over to a buy on AMD. 5 minutes and we'll see if the market's clamoring for the impulsive stimulus injection or not.

Screenshot_20200326-072253.png

Well it doesn't look like massive unemployment numbers are spooking the dow

This is a good read as we piece together what happened..

https://on.mktw.net/2UlUxHf
Check out this article from MarketWatch - Algorithms sped up selling, leading to the fastest bear market in stock market history

These articles always come out after market drops. I just view it as click-bait as algos are the boogey-man-of-the-day. Everyone always thinks that while they are losing money someone else is making it and it isn't by fair means. The reality is that the market has never been a level playing field and no individual trader is trying to scrape the bid/ask like most of these altos do. In my 20years researching funds looking for the holy grail fund that makes money in an up and down market, I never found one. The only winner is the exchange.

The author bio tells you what you need to know. "More than decade" means this is her first bear market.
Beth Kindig is a San Francisco-based technology analyst with more than a decade of experience in analyzing private and public technology companies.

These articles always come out after market drops. I just view it as click-bait as algos are the boogey-man-of-the-day. Everyone always thinks that while they are losing money someone else is making it and it isn't by fair means. The reality is that the market has never been a level playing field and no individual trader is trying to scrape the bid/ask like most of these altos do. In my 20years researching funds looking for the holy grail fund that makes money in an up and down market, I never found one. The only winner is the exchange.

The author bio tells you what you need to know. "More than decade" means this is her first bear market.
Beth Kindig is a San Francisco-based technology analyst with more than a decade of experience in analyzing private and public technology companies.
None the less we have seen a the descent in bear territory faster then in any time in history. There is profit in undertanding the how that took place even though we already know the why.
Futhermore that reverse is true. Given the right set of circumstances we see a gains again at speeds that which might be unprecedented. If so there profit that as well

None the less we have seen a the descent in bear territory faster then in any time in history. There is profit in undertanding the how that took place even though we already know the why.
Futhermore that reverse is true. Given the right set of circumstances we see a gains again at speeds that which might be unprecedented. If so there profit that as well
I agree, but we have never seen the global economy practically shut off, hard stop. Index ETFs are part of the reason as well. Every trader/investor can put risk on and take it off by simply pushing a button and those trades are all electronic and never cross the floor, like in th e old days. When everyone wants to take risk off at the same time, the result is the market drops like a rock because buyers disappear, algos or no algos. We all have information at our fingertips 24/7. Hard to get an advantage, even for the professionals.

You think everyone was positioned for a bad number? WOW :oops:
No, I missed typed and mean't aren't. Todays markets react to everything it seem. I was worried to see a big drop today.

Last edited:
market drops like a rock because buyers disappear, algos or no algos. We all have information at our fingertips 24/7. Hard to get an advantage, even for the professionals.
Disagree. Algorithms capture computations at the blink of an eye. Place a human vs a computer for the support/resistance, RSI values, or even Ichimoku defined clouds for buy/sell orders and a computer will pull the trigger while the human follows.
Humans will make $... Undoubtedly, heck for fun, I sold NVDA this morning for approx +$120 and did a turnaround on AMD for a some $54. For myself, this is "lunch $" for a 3% return though algorithms will undoubtedly wedge out an additional 1-2%.

No, I missed typed and mean't aren't. Todays markets react to everything it seem. I was worried to see a big drop today.
Sorry, meant that clearly everyone thought the number would be bad. Yesterday's selloff in the last 15 minutes showed no one wanted to be in front of it. Classic 'buy the rumor sell the news' event, except the opposite.

Sorry, meant that clearly everyone thought the number would be bad. Yesterday's selloff in the last 15 minutes showed no one wanted to be in front of it. Classic 'buy the rumor sell the news' event, except the opposite.
i understand. That's what is crazy, we all knew it would be bad but we also know the stimulus will get passed but yet markets react when they delay or don't pass. IMO in the end this will all hinge on when the recovery can start and I think Trump is dreaming with his Easter remarks.

Disagree. Algorithms capture computations at the blink of an eye. Place a human vs a computer for the support/resistance, RSI values, or even Ichimoku defined clouds for buy/sell orders and a computer will pull the trigger while the human follows.
Humans will make $... Undoubtedly, heck for fun, I sold NVDA this morning for approx +$120 and did a turnaround on AMD for a some $54. For myself, this is "lunch $" for a 3% return though algorithms will undoubtedly wedge out an additional 1-2%.
I agree, so I disagree with myself? :unsure: Computers are always faster. They can identify levels and execute trades in milliseconds. But that is not the game humans should try to play. The only thing that I found in my research was that humans program the computers, so whatever biases humans have tend to be imbedded in the algo. Algos looking at med and long term holding periods tend to make the same mistakes real people do. Market prices are determined by buyers and sellers and the speed with which they want to act. That will never change.

We need to get back to the days of humans doing the trading and ban this algo shit.

We need to get back to the days of humans doing the trading and ban this algo shit.
I'm not sure what people want other than for stock prices to never go down. The Fed seems to take that approach. Human trading wasn't exactly a glowing success. The steepness of the current declines are being compared to periods in the 1930's and Black Monday 1987. I'm pretty sure there were no algos, at least those driven by computers. I'm not sure that there is a solution to this. Investors love it when stocks get expensive but justify continuing to hold and even buy more. Then the valuations crater on economic volatility and they look to scalp heads.

I wonder how much more trading is being done because so many people are working from home?

I am shocked that things are up right now. I'm expecting a drop later in the day like tomorrow plus more drops next week if things don't change. I have no expertise to guide that opinion, but that's what I'm thinking lol.

I am shocked that things are up right now. I'm expecting a drop later in the day like tomorrow plus more drops next week if things don't change. I have no expertise to guide that opinion, but that's what I'm thinking lol.
I am shocked by the % gain. LOTS of data next week. Jobs report on Friday and ISM's Wednesday and Friday and the data is going to be ugly. This looks like month-end positioning by mutual funds. They like to clear the cash balance because clients don't like paying fees to managers that sit on cash. First technical gap to fill is around 2725 in S&P. Clearing that may be a tough task by April 1.

Damn, I was going to buy Sunoco this morning but my account in Fidelity won't let me purchase certain stocks and that is one of them. up 17% today and that 23% dividend sure looks nice if it is safe

I am shocked by the % gain. LOTS of data next week. Jobs report on Friday and ISM's Wednesday and Friday and the data is going to be ugly. This looks like month-end positioning by mutual funds. They like to clear the cash balance because clients don't like paying fees to managers that sit on cash. First technical gap to fill is around 2725 in S&P. Clearing that may be a tough task by April 1.
Dummy that down please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back