Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Any wolf killing?

BeartoothFront

Since all of us in the west have been in the woods awhile so far, I was wondering if anyone has bumped into any wolves and hopefully gotten a few shots off. Any of you MT or ID guys harvest any?

Called one into 20 yards a couple weeks ago west of Dillon. Wish I had bought a tag, but he boogies out pretty quick once we locked eyes anyway.

Called one in last week while moose hunting with my kid. Did not get a shot as it stopped behind the only tree. Could hear others whining in the brush and then they all began to howl. One of the coolest experiences I've had in the woods. Should have seen the look on my kid's face, it was priceless!

I called at least 2 in while elk hunting near Gardiner, Montana. I didn't have a wolf tag so didn't take a shot but the closest one was 25-30 yards. These started howling when they figured out they had been fooled.

Patrick

This may be a dumb question, But why on earth would you guys not buy a wolf tag if you are hunting in an area where there are wolves?

I had a friend kill a wolf two years ago. He and his family received death threats for about a month. Seeing the strain on his wife and family I decided that I would spare my family the same.

It may be that most of that is past. No one I am close with has killed a wolf since then so I don't know if the death threats are still common. If I didn't have a family I would try to kill one every year and wear the hide like a hat in downtown Bozeman.

Patrick

I had a friend kill a wolf two years ago. He and his family received death threats for about a month. Seeing the strain on his wife and family I decided that I would spare my family the same.

It may be that most of that is past. No one I am close with has killed a wolf since then so I don't know if the death threats are still common. If I didn't have a family I would try to kill one every year and wear the hide like a hat in downtown Bozeman.

Patrick
We should definitely let the terrorist win.

Patrick
Not sure why that stopped you. There is a structured season just like other game. The antis can pack sand. mtmuley

I get a wolf tag every year just in case I run into one. The only time I've seen wolves is during the closed season. But I have had them howl back when I'm bugling for Elk. I don't care what the antis think. In fact I have a sister-in-law that's an anti and I just refuse to get in a debate with her. My rule of thumb is follow the laws and don't flaunt my success. If that offends them, then _____ 'em.

Patrick

God help the one that gives my wife threats. If they have enough spine to stand up, they will face her Taurus Judge-as some trespasser found out last week.

I refuse to let social media morons worry me. They talk big on facebook. Step up and play!!

Patrick

A wolf is a heck of a trophy. I certainly wouldn't let the possibility of a shallow threat keep me from hunting any animal during a legal season

Patrick

How did the wingnuts find out about it? Does MT publish a list of who has taken a wolf or did he post to social media or other outlet?

How did the wingnuts find out about it? Does MT publish a list of who has taken a wolf or did he post to social media or other outlet?

I would venture to say someone publicized it in one form or another. The Mt FW&P does not publish who got what.
Dan

I killed one and my son got the story printed in Fur Fish and Game and I never got any death threats. I knew it was a possibility but I couldn't care less. It was a fair chase hunt and I won! :)

I posted it on our ODFW intranet and I heard it stirred up a bunch of the anti's among our agency and that is fine too. They shouldn't be working for a fish and wildlife agency if they oppose fair chase hunting. Just my personal opinion!

I always pack a wolf tag when it's legal to do so! I could use a black one to go by this one on the wall. ;)

I killed one and my son got the story printed in Fur Fish and Game and I never got any death threats. I knew it was a possibility but I couldn't care less. It was a fair chase hunt and I won! :)

I posted it on our ODFW intranet and I heard it stirred up a bunch of the anti's among our agency and that is fine too. They shouldn't be working for a fish and wildlife agency if they oppose fair chase hunting. Just my personal opinion!

I always pack a wolf tag when it's legal to do so! I could use a black one to go by this one on the wall. ;)

Great wolf and great pic! I especially like the fact that you used the lever on him.

Beautiful looking critter Mr. Hulburt! I had the same apprehension about posting my wolf success to "social media", but if I had let that stop me, I would only be letting the antis win. A picture of a legally harvested game animal is the ultimate expression of our success as stewards and conservationists of our wild game.

I've got a dumb question, please put me in line if this is in the wrong venue....

What do you do with a wolf once you harvest it? Is it good eating? I can only find appliance recipes when googling wolf recipes. Is it for the hide?

I hope this question isn't misunderstood. This is in no way looking negatively at wolf hunting(esp the way they effect elk and deer numbers). I've just wondered for awhile but didn't know anyone who hunted them. Kind of like coyote hunting, I don't know enough about it to know what the animal can provide me.

Thanks,
Pat

Pat, it's all part of keeping healthy prey/predator relationship by keeping numbers in check. Very few people eat wolves, I know I wouldn't and I'll eat about anything, but the hunter that can view a wolf carcass as food after smelling one has a stronger stomach than me.
The pelt, the hunt, and predator management is reason enough for me to carry a tag.

Pat, it's all part of keeping healthy prey/predator relationship by keeping numbers in check. Very few people eat wolves, I know I wouldn't and I'll eat about anything, but the hunter that can view a wolf carcass as food after smelling one has a stronger stomach than me.
The pelt, the hunt, and predator management is reason enough for me to carry a tag.

That's what I suspected. Thanks for the reply!

The death threats are rolling in, over this one, but that's all they are, threats. I couldn't care less. Especially harvesting it in the GYE, where the elk, deer and moose are hurting so bad.wolf1.JPG

wolf.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back