Yeti GOBOX Collection

Antelope gear for wyoming?

sigpros

This will be my first antelope hunt. I hope to cross one off my bucket list. I know they don't get alot of respect out west but I think they a really neat animal and make a great mount. I hear they are pretty tasty too. That being said I have the points{I hope}, a rifle, tent, most of the hunting gear I have. But not so much on the camping part. Can you have open fires in Wyoming? Or do we need to bring a propane grill? Might do a little fishing if we run on to any trout. We plan to spend a week and if we tag early doing some coyote hunting. We both love to do some coyote hunting. What other gear should I take along? Man I hope I draw this year. I was bummed pretty bad when I didn't last year. Thanks for some info. Oh and going to look into a gps and a WY card

Not drawing doesn't mean not hunting. Leftovers seem to be had every year, just maybe not in the part of the state you were intending. Wind and WY go together. It will be hotter and colder than you expect, sometimes in the space of the same day.

Reactions: RDG
Regarding open fires, I would check with the agency who administers the ground you'll be hunting. I for one wouldn't count on it and would bring the propane grill/stove for the ease of it anyway.

Easier way to get suggestions as to gear would be to post your packing list and let us add suggestions...

Well I have:
tent
cot/sleeping bag
coolers
propane heater
propane grill
plates,pans,forks,etc
gun,ammo,bino's,spotting scope, shooting sticks
knives,game bags,game cart

And I am forgetting some stuff I'm sure. Just want to have everything I need. It's been a long time since I've been hunting out west and I never had to bring anything. I will get some knee pads for sure. Thanks for any help on my equipment list. Oh and I also have a 5gal water jug to wash the lopes out with.

Bring a good sleeping bag. It can get pretty cold in the evenings. I was there 2 years ago in August archery hunting and I about froze at night. Don't forget to bring plenty of beer too.

Kneepads Clip ons are better than Strap-ons
Good optics. Pronghorn are easy to spot a long way off but hard to judge.
Good map with land ownership. The GPS with the chip might be worthwhile.
Bottle of wine or whiskey for landowners who give you spur of the moment access.
Phone number of the nearest meat locker
a skinning, and storage strategy before you have one dead on a 90 degree day. Usually a big cooler with gallon jugs of ice and your lunch, and a knowledge of how to do a gutless quarter.
A cot if tenting.
A good pad on the cot.

First aid kit....medicine, bandages, blister/wound care, sunburn, bugbites, etc. Gun care kit (Otis is a sponser of OYOA). Comfortable camp chair/table. GPS/Maps, Google earth imaging. CAMERA GEAR!!!!....we HuntTalkers loves us some good stories with pics!!! :)

Depending on where you will be camping, make sure you know the rules for open fires, and remember that there may be a need to bring your own fire fuel.

Kinda feel foolish mentioning it, but no "boots-out-of-the-box". Your feet should already be in love with your socks and boots.

Cooler of beer.

Good observation Wyodeer, I am sure you meant to say cooler of GOOD beer. I assume you will be wanting to save the cape for a mount but if you want the meat in good shape you need to get it cooled off FAST. I would take the critter, hang it on the closest fence post/ drift fence/ ranch entry gate/ or whatever and get the thing caped. Then quarter it and with the extra 5 gallons of water you brought dedicated to washing the quarters off, wash all the hair off the meat. You can then put it in your cooler you have brought with blocks or gallon jugs of ice. Don't soak the meat in cold water in the cooler. Clean, cold meat is KING.

Everything else will take care of itself. Have fun.......:)

lip balm/chapstick---trust me on this one
Really? Not this guy, ever.

Bring some lawn chairs for around camp. I always make sure I have a shovel, tow strap, and chains in the truck just in case.

There's not really all that much one NEEDS as far as camp gear, just what you want to make it more comfortable.

Good observation Wyodeer, I am sure you meant to say cooler of GOOD beer. I assume you will be wanting to save the cape for a mount but if you want the meat in good shape you need to get it cooled off FAST. I would take the critter, hang it on the closest fence post/ drift fence/ ranch entry gate/ or whatever and get the thing caped. Then quarter it and with the extra 5 gallons of water you brought dedicated to washing the quarters off, wash all the hair off the meat. You can then put it in your cooler you have brought with blocks or gallon jugs of ice. Don't soak the meat in cold water in the cooler. Clean, cold meat is KING.

Everything else will take care of itself. Have fun.......:)

I eyed the stairs on the oil tanks for hanging one :) two sliding cargo straps 6' long, to swing /hang the critter, push one way take out the slack, push back, slack,, works very well for lone hunter......:) oh yes sun screen and long johns,, oct 11 went from 75 to 35 and rained all week on me.

Make it a good tent. The wind can be fierce. I will just echo others in that knee pads are a must, plenty of H2O, lots of layers (it can swing 60 degrees in a day). I always take some pine poles to create a meat pole for hanging and drying meat. A canopy shade can help too.
8475bad_tent2.JPG

8475meat_pole.JPG

OK this is going to sound off track but why do people leave the lower half of the leg on ANYTHING?????

It gets more dirt/hair on your meat, it catches on brush and digs onto the ground if your dragging something out, it takes up room, it gives no good handle esp. on s-goats cause they are full of cactus anyhow, and it ads weight to the packing... ????

It takes about 5 seconds with just a knife to take that off and toss it.

I saw a story in Bugle the other day that a couple guys were packing an elk out of the Wilderness and showed a picture of them packing out the quarters with the lower leg still on?, what the hell, not to mention the 5lbs of pure bone but the pack stuck up about 18" over his head prime to catch on every branch in the woods.

Sorry this is not directed straight at the quarters in the pic., just jarred a thought.

Nice Poles BTW- great idea

Lots of water for cooking, washing plates, washing yourself, drinking. I used 7 gallons in 7 days as one person.

Wyoming is dry. I would not recommend an open fire and it's better to cook on a propane stove with controled heat.

good luck to all
the dog

I have to admit I am guilty on pronghorn. Just about everything else I de-bone before packing out especially elk. I don't know? Easy carry handle? Never much thought about it on goat. I have packed a couple out at a time and never thought anything of the weight. I do cut them off before putting into the cooler or de-bone but quite frankly "good question"? no offence taken.

I skin and quarter goat at kill site. I have always felt the quicker you skin and cool a goat the better the table fare.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back