PEAX Equipment

Another reason WA sucks

I don't know. I mean almost all of the suck can be summed up with "westsiders". I think I would have an easier time filling 10 pages with reasons to like WA
As a westsider transplant, I’d agree with that. I tell you what’s really fun here is 2 +/- hour drive to get away from the hustle and bustle. And then you STILL get to worry about your truck getting it’s window smashed in at the trailhead.

10 pages of reasons to like Washington seems extreme…maybe 3 tops.
probably not enough people on HT from washington and definitely not enough people not from washington who hunt washington.

I suppose there’s a reason no TV personality has endorsed Washington as a great out of state western hunting opportunity. Never hear about “yeah me and the boys are headed to Washington for some elk camp!”

As a westsider transplant, I’d agree with that. I tell you what’s really fun here is 2 +/- hour drive to get away from the hustle and bustle. And then you STILL get to worry about your truck getting it’s window smashed in at the trailhead.

10 pages of reasons to like Washington seems extreme…maybe 3 tops.
We easily have the biggest and most technical mountains in the lower 48, and it's not even close. And while from Seattle it make take more than 2 hrs to get to a sweet location, it can take that long to do anything in MT... F it's 2 days just to get across the damn state!

I think I could get 3, 10 is pushing it, but I couldn't get 10 of dislikes unless I started listing every 'burb on that side of the mountains. I mean we're going to the ocean twice this fall for quick weekend trips, dig some clams, drop some crab pots, maybe fish the jetty. You're not doing that from WY.

We easily have the biggest and most technical mountains in the lower 48, and it's not even close.

I dunno man, Colorado has 58 peaks over 14k, then 632 peaks between 13k and 14k, then 746 between 12 and 13… 😉

But we could only truly round it out if we had any icy mountains covered in true glaciers

Last edited:
I dunno man, Colorado has 58 peaks over 14k, then 632 peaks between 13k and 14k, then 746 between 12 and 13… 😉

But we could only truly round it out if we had any icy mountains covered in true glaciers
Have you spent much time in WA? There's no great apples to apples comparisons that could quickly find.

But there are 6 class 4's on that 14-er list. There are probably more class 4's in my high buck thread pics than that.

I suppose there’s a reason no TV personality has endorsed Washington as a great out of state western hunting opportunity. Never hear about “yeah me and the boys are headed to Washington for some elk camp!”
Rinella killed a great bull with his bow in one episode but I don't remember how he got the tag. If he drew it as a non-resident then he certainly has the golden touch.

Rinella killed a great bull with his bow in one episode but I don't remember how he got the tag. If he drew it as a non-resident then he certainly has the golden touch.
He drew it as a resident.

He killed that one after cashing in points after being a resident for years IIRC, and then promptly moved back to Montana. I was more referring to the fact that you don’t hear any of the western hunting personalities going around telling everyone to hunt/buy points in Washington. I think that is telling.

We easily have the biggest and most technical mountains in the lower 48, and it's not even close. And while from Seattle it make take more than 2 hrs to get to a sweet location, it can take that long to do anything in MT... F it's 2 days just to get across the damn state!

I think I could get 3, 10 is pushing it, but I couldn't get 10 of dislikes unless I started listing every 'burb on that side of the mountains. I mean we're going to the ocean twice this fall for quick weekend trips, dig some clams, drop some crab pots, maybe fish the jetty. You're not doing that from WY.
I agree, it is incredibly wild here, much wilder than I thought when I first moved. I’ll allow it…

Is crystal mountain on the list of reasons to visit?
If La Niña is back this winter I really want to go.
I feel like their parking tags were hard to draw last year.
Hopefully not this year 🤞
I've never skied Crystal because I don't like crowds. ;)

You know the better one is a little hill called Rainier... but you have to do some walking...
1633098179076.png

Have you spent much time in WA? There's no great apples to apples comparisons that could quickly find.

But there are 6 class 4's on that 14-er list. There are probably more class 4's in my high buck thread pics than that.

i'm mostly fooling around. i know the PNW peaks are no joke.

but i will argue colorado is probably the single best state to live in if all you want to do in life carry around a 50 liter backpack and an alpine rack. your peaks with class 5 options or class 5 only are quite literally almost endless.

the 13ers are where it's at in colorado, i mean, here's like 1% of what's available in the San Juans alone:

LFe0sHvrtfokdmTesUNdj62gGJZ-3coEwmJcWEVhRXbUkb2QDT_qh_QKfQoSrufb0Paj98raDjOow1kENfhcpnOMyPqh

and if big wall is your thing, you don't technically have to go to california for it either

the-diamond-face-of-longs-peak-aaron-spong.jpg

my only point is colorado ain't no slouch when it comes to gnarly alpine climbing.

just having some fun in a thread where we trash washington ;)

i'm mostly fooling around. i know the PNW peaks are no joke.

but i will argue colorado is probably the single best state to live in if all you want to do in life carry around a 50 liter backpack and an alpine rack. your peaks with class 5 options or class 5 only are quite literally almost endless.

the 13ers are where it's at in colorado, i mean, here's like 1% of what's available in the San Juans alone:

LFe0sHvrtfokdmTesUNdj62gGJZ-3coEwmJcWEVhRXbUkb2QDT_qh_QKfQoSrufb0Paj98raDjOow1kENfhcpnOMyPqh

and if big wall is your thing, you don't technically have to go to california for it either

the-diamond-face-of-longs-peak-aaron-spong.jpg

my only point is colorado ain't no slouch when it comes to gnarly alpine climbing.

just having some fun in a thread where we trash washington ;)
If you want to trash WA the options are readily available... though many of those same things could be said about CO.
...but mountaineering isn't it. Though I will concede, we have almost no big walls.

41d9fc8c05f0a84bd9a381a6e1ed7c18.jpg

Is that AK or.....

If you want to trash WA the options are readily available... though many of those same things could be said about CO.
...but mountaineering isn't it. Though I will concede, we have almost no big walls.

41d9fc8c05f0a84bd9a381a6e1ed7c18.jpg

Is that AK or.....

and that's where many in the mountaineering community argue colorado lacks true mountaineering. we can winter climb, and we can snow climb, we can summer alpine climb, and we can ice climb, but we can't do glacier climbing.

i'm actually just curious now, not trying to dick swing, cause i've never really filtered the stats. but going only 10K and above, we have 44 peaks where your only route option is class 4 or 5+ (YDS) and 2316 peaks above 10K which I would guess at least 50% offer a technical route. filtering for soft or hard ranked on prominence those numbers will change a bit.

Lists of John is the best site out there: https://listsofjohn.com/

we can just pivot this to what's awesome about the mountains in our states: for me, on visuals alone, and how much i love the region it's in, this might be my favorite, it happens to be a 14er

60413b5711eca.image.jpg

and that's where many in the mountaineering community argue colorado lacks true mountaineering. we can winter climb, and we can snow climb, we can summer alpine climb, and we can ice climb, but we can't do glacier climbing.

i'm actually just curious now, not trying to dick swing, cause i've never really filtered the stats. but going only 10K and above, we have 44 peaks where your only route option is class 4 or 5+ (YDS) and 2316 peaks above 10K which I would guess at least 50% offer a technical route. filtering for soft or hard ranked on prominence those numbers will change a bit.

Lists of John is the best site out there: https://listsofjohn.com/

we can just pivot this to what's awesome about the mountains in our states: for me, on visuals alone, and how much i love the region it's in, this might be my favorite, it happens to be a 14er

60413b5711eca.image.jpg
Don't try to turn this positive! This is a internet battle royal (with cheese)

Let's go down the list.
Mountains: WA, but only on days that end in "y"
Rivers (little): CO
Rivers (big): WA
Lakes (little) CO
Lakes (big): WA
Ocean.... WA
Desert: CO
Wildness: CO - if nothing else simply for the San Juans, though the pasayten and NCNP are pretty damn wild.
Vegetation: tie. CO has aspens in mass, WA has the rainforest

Critters:
Elk- CO by MILES!
Deer - CO by lightyears
Moose - CO
Sheep - CO
MT Goats - WA, but only because they're native here
Bear:
Black - WA, I think, I mean we get 2 otc tags a year and the pop is still growing
Grizz - pretty equal, we both have them but CO's are more photogenic ;)
Cougars - WA (see Mom's day at WSU)
small game - CO? not entirely sure
Misc other mammals- WA (fishers and plenty of wolverines, just recently maybe a caribou)
Birds- CO?
Fish:
Freshwater: tie, CO for trout WA because theoretically we also have salmon and steelhead
Saltwater - WA!

What else am I missing?

This is strange. The only time I ever bought a lottery ticket was the summer of 1989 on our way through Bremerton to pick up my boat at Sequim(?) for a weekend of fishing. Some kind of world record super lotto jackpot of $15M (jackpot peanuts today). Bought the ticket to show my wife as a gag. Now there's no lottery there at all? Back then there was no income tax in Washington. How has that held up? I gotta say legalized gambling in Montana has created a host of social ills for the state. Not a problem for me but I sure see it ruining the lives of a lot of older folks especially. Ya can't fix stupid, but I have a hard time justifying victimizing it. Better than sales tax? Yeah, if you say so.

This is strange. The only time I ever bought a lottery ticket was the summer of 1989 on our way through Bremerton to pick up my boat at Sequim(?) for a weekend of fishing. Some kind of world record super lotto jackpot of $15M (jackpot peanuts today). Bought the ticket to show my wife as a gag. Now there's no lottery there at all? Back then there was no income tax in Washington. How has that held up? I gotta say legalized gambling in Montana has created a host of social ills for the state. Not a problem for me but I sure see it ruining the lives of a lot of older folks especially. Ya can't fix stupid, but I have a hard time justifying victimizing it. Better than sales tax? Yeah, if you say so.
WTF are you talking about?
And we still don't have an income tax.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back