PEAX Equipment

Another One Bites The Dust...

browtine

Administrator
Well, this is sorta the kind of story that everyone loves to hate. Its really only because of how it starts, but here goes anyway....

My older brother thought he put in for a rifle LE early elk rifle hunt on the Wasatch here in Utah. Turns out he actually put in for the premuim tag and with zero points, drew it! :eek: He called me and thought the F&G had made a mistake when they pulled out over 500 bucks for a resident elk tag... haha, I still can't believe he drew it. I had to explain to him what the premuim tag was and that it was a good thing. (I think he took an enormous amount of crap at home for how much that tag cost him)..haha

My brother lives in BFE and with work, could only scout portions of the wasatch on a limited basis. I on the other hand must really like scouting because I spent one day a week during July and 2 days a week during August as a ritual scouting for him with trailcams and the spotting scope.

As we started finding bulls it turned into sort of a brotherly competition as to who could find the biggest bull. He had decided to buy a trailcam and kept telling me about all these gigantic rubs he had been finding in the area of his camera. Turns out he was able to get a moose and some bears on his camera. After some ribbing and a few bets for future finds, I told him about what I had just found.

In August I made my weekly ritual to check the trailcam. I had never seen a soul back in this part of the unit and I had my camera a long ways from any roads. As I approached my camera on that day, I got that feeling I was being watched. I have been to this exact spot a ton of times and never had that feeling. This time was different, and when I opened my camera to view the pictures, I found out why!

1.jpg

I don't really consider myself a "wuss" although Moosie may disagree:hump:, but I hightailed it off the mountain after exchanging cards in the trailcam. I also got a few more pics...

2.jpg

The next couple of of trailcam pics got the blood boiling. This is a trailcam pic of a bull I saw last year. You can see he has put on a ton of growth and turned into a damn nice bull.

4.jpg

5.jpg

One more big bull on the trailcam. We'll call this bull "Lucky".
3.jpg

13.jpg

So, we fast forward to opening day of the rifle hunt. My brother made the decision not to hunt the bow hunt. The first morning has my brother, his son, and a buddy of mine walking in the dark towards bugles. As we got closer, it got lighter. At 8am, we had cows and bulls all around us. A couple of calls brought these critters to 15 yards. What an amazing experience. The big bulls kept their distance and stayed in the trees. As we continued to hunt, my brother spotted a bull 700 yards away as it walked through an opening in the pines. I quickly through up the spotting scope and said "its lucky!". the bull was on the move and we needed to get closer. We watched the bull walk into a stand of pine trees and we made our move. Now within 300 yards, the bull was bugling, but wouldn't leave the tree's. About 2 hours into this stand off, something spooked other elk which ran into the same stand of pines. This sent the bull running through the pines and out of the area without us being able to get a shot:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:...

Frustrated, we hold off on pushing any of the animals and came back during the afternoon. Back at camp, my brother was starting to cramp and really felt the hike from earlier starting to kick his butt. We located another good bull and decided to head out on the ridge to an overlook to glass this basin. At 300 yards below me, I spotted another bull going through the tree's. I told my brother who hadn't walked out on the edge to get down here and look this bull over. It was at that time I was told something about my brother that I had never known........

To be continued.........

Last edited:
Dude very nice beginning. Now FINISH the dang story already. I hate when people prolong the inevitable!!! ;)

ok ok..... here is more...

Now, Lucky is a toad. I have a little history with this bull and after seeing him in person, would kill this bull on ANY unit. Althought the trailcam pics don't show it, he has a ton o f mass and tine length... the pics also came from video and I about freaked out the first time he came to my camera. So... not getting a shot at him was a real kick in the nutz.... back to the story....

So I'm about 30 yards from my brother telling him to come out to the edge and get a rest on a tree to look over the bull that was coming out of the pines. (The same pines luck ran into)... At that point my brother tells me "I can't, im getting sick". I asked him if he was ok and what had happened. He then told me that he has virtigo and that these heights were starting to take its tole. He tried to fake it but he could not walk out any closer to look at anything in this bowl. The way he explained it actually took me by such shock that I felt terrible even taking him to this look out. We eased off the point and backed out of the area believing we had another chance in the morning.

Day 2.

0400 hours..... we awake and start to get ready when my brother tells me that he can't move his legs do to cramping. After a lot of discussion we decide that he needed to pedialite and liquids pretty quick. We miss the morning hunt nursing him back to health. Early afternoon, 3pm finds us ready to leave camp. We take off up the trail following the bugles. This time its just he and I.

At 5pm, we reach the bugles and they are down off the "overlook" and into the tree's. Knowing my brother couldn't hunt the lookouts, was pretty beat up from the previous day, and was not real excited about the elevation we were already at, he decided to hang out lower while I glassed the bulls from the top of the mountain.

To be continued... :)

Part 3......

The bulls started coming out of the pines and crossing this valley. Two bulls, bugling heavy and sounded mature were lighting up the valley. I saw one of the bulls for a split second after he had crossed this valley. The second bull was coming and with cows and I could see he was a mature bull. I left the top, grabbed my brother and told him that we were headed for the pines to cut the bulls of. I started calling as we entered the pines and the second bull, with cows, started coming straight at us. at under 100 yards, he held up. My brother and I creeped up to get a look at the bull. I told my brother that I wasn't sure which bull it was and to look him over and make sure thats what he wanted before he shot.

For the next 15 minutes we had a screeming match with the bull which wouldn't come any closer. The bull finaly eased up and gave us a look through the pines. My brother made a great shot and down he went for good ... well, we thought............

With all the commotion of the cows and other elk exiting the area, we had thought the bull went straight down. Standing about 10 yards from where my brother shot the bull, was a bull standing by a pine tree almost motionless. Not knowing if this was the bull he shot, or a different bull, we decided to wait to watch the bull. A few seconds of kaos had left us sick not knowing what to do. We started to walk closer to the bull and get a better angle so I could look him over for blood. I found the blood and my brother put him down for good. It was pretty intense for a minute.

As we walked up to the bull we were both very excited about how we had pulled a rabbit out of a hat and finished this dream hunt. (during this time the reality set in that this was going to be a nightmare of a packout and we were all alone!). that thought only lasted for a second and back to hootin and hollerin and high fives.

Here is the bull.. Congrats brother, you sure earned him! A few measurements.... 19.5 inch thirds, 19 inch swords and 17 inch fronts......... damn nice mass... Helluva wasatch bull.

6.jpg

7.jpg

now, this story aint over... not even close. It took two damn days to get this bull out. Through hell, sleet, and a crap load of rain, we quartered, caped, and deboned this beast and packed him out.

8.jpg

During this time I noticed that this bull looked familiar. I thought I may know this bull and found out............... :)

Last edited:
I guess I did know him. I gave my brother the sheds. I didn't find his last years sheds.. but did find a single from the year before and the set from the year before that. It was pretty awesome to be able to give him something like that. A little history to go with history......

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

16.jpg

Great story and pics Browtine. Congrats to both you and your brother. That bull is a stud.

That's pretty cool, Brandon. Congrats to your brother on a great bull. Thanks for sharing the story.

I should have started calling you "Brother" while I was down there..... You did well for your Brother....

Congrats to him, and to you on a great hunt.

Browtine,

An awesome bull and a fantastic story. Thank you for sharing. You seem to be awful tough on those UT bulls!

Great story, Brandon. And, it goes without saying, a great bull. Not sure those Wasatch bulls want to be reckless in their behavior, given the damage you do to them each fall.

I suspect helping your brother take such a great bull will make the memory sweeter than most any other hunts.

Congrats to both of you, and thanks for sharing.

dude..... All the important people in your life draw great tags with no points in the Wash :D :D

Congrats to him big time. Good times !!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back