PEAX Equipment

Another entry level alpha bino ?

hank4elk

I know there are a dozen threads similar going back. Read tons, watched every yt vid. Entry level alpha glass,bino's.
But here I am for HT opine.
...and not just get SLC's. Get in line on ebay..... LOL

Can't quite afford high end but know the quality deal. And I could actually do alot more with $1500+ around the ranch.But looking at upgrading from my old Alpen 10x42 & 10x 50 bino's.
Narrowed it down to Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's and Leica Trinovid 10x42,new ,unless that magic SLC or Victory used ship happens by. And I am wary of scratches,no eye covers on used.

I love my Zeiss Conquest rifle scope and like Zeiss glass. But the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's seem a bit lower end on the fit & finish scale when I held some a couple years ago.

I learned to shoot pic's on my dad's old Leica camera and remembered how good Leica's glass is just looking thru my nib Leica 1600b rangefinder mono. The quality is there too.

10x42's. Entry level alpha glass.
I have the Alpen 50's & a spotter if need be for distance great mid level glass.But I deserve some real decent glass that won't break an old fart too.
Leica Trinovid $1000 or Zeiss Conquest, about same,NIB. Or wait for a ship in SW NM?

I looked thru some Meopta 12x50's at the Redding shoot a cpl years ago and finally saw the "pop" my swaro using friends talked about. They were definitely better than my older 12x50 Leica BN's. Not sure that helps much but you might get as good an image for a little less.
Thanks. I might have to go into a shop and check those and maybe Maven. I know nothing of them. I know Steiner,Nikon and a couple others in the right models. Never cared for my Leupold glass in binos or spotters, wore my eyes down. Sorry BF.....and Alpen glass was always better than Vortex to me.

Maybe I'm a German glass snob,or it's my heritage. LOL

You might want to look at Tract I bought a pair and really liked them Life time warante clear and good at last light and first light They are on internet and I like the price for what you get

I spoke with a company who sells all brands. I basically asked them this same question and without hesitation they told me to get the Zeiss

Zeiss Victory = alpha, Zeiss Conquest = NOT alpha. For my money, I would buy Nikon Monarch 7s -- they were by FAR the closest (vs. green ring Leupolds and Vortex Viper HDs) to my Zeiss Victory T*FL and Swaro SLCs...and they were a fraction of the price.

You might want to look at Tract I bought a pair and really liked them Life time warante clear and good at last light and first light They are on internet and I like the price for what you get
It's good to hear from somebody who actually owns some Tract gear. I've been looking at their rifle scopes for a while now. I have a Swaro 3-9x36 that I really like, but I'd like a little more power and larger objective. But the glass is excellent. It would be interesting to compare that scope to the Tract with Schott glass.

For alpha glass, I prefer the Zeiss Victory over the SLCs (I hope I don't get kicked off the forum for saying that!:D)
I've had both and I agree the Zeiss is excellent. They were very comparable to me and I could see how someone would prefer it. 10x42 FL T* is one of the few items I sorta regret selling for the price I did.

I've had both and I agree the Zeiss is excellent. They were very comparable to me and I could see how someone would prefer it. 10x42 FL T* is one of the few items I sorta regret selling for the price I did.
They were VERY close. At low light is was almost impossible to tell a difference (maybe the Zeiss were brighter with the SLCs making it up in contrast). The final decision for me was glassing hillsides in daytime against a rising/setting sun. I got noticeably less flare with the Zeiss's than the SLCs (I assume it had to do with internal baffling). Also, I didn't weigh them, but the Zeiss's felt a bit lighter.

I looked up your Zeiss listing and about spit up my coffee--I paid a few hundred more than that for a used pair and I thought I got a steal!!

I had my hands on some older Victory FL last year and could have had them for $1200,but my barn called. I really liked them.
I just have the porch lumber to get this year.

Last edited:
for $1000 new, here is my list in order from best to lower. I bought a pair of SLC's used for $1200 that were made in 2018. The warranty transfers and they would clean them and do work on them if needed. again my eyes are different than yours. I sold that pair of SLC's as i just bought a new one shortly after.

conquest HD
Maven B2
Leica Trinovid HD
Maven B1/Razor HD

Based on online reviews, in the under $1K range I'd have to give Tract and/or Kowa Prominar's a look.

I know there are a dozen threads similar going back. Read tons, watched every yt vid. Entry level alpha glass,bino's.
But here I am for HT opine.
...and not just get SLC's. Get in line on ebay..... LOL

Can't quite afford high end but know the quality deal. And I could actually do alot more with $1500+ around the ranch.But looking at upgrading from my old Alpen 10x42 & 10x 50 bino's.
Narrowed it down to Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's and Leica Trinovid 10x42,new ,unless that magic SLC or Victory used ship happens by. And I am wary of scratches,no eye covers on used.

I love my Zeiss Conquest rifle scope and like Zeiss glass. But the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's seem a bit lower end on the fit & finish scale when I held some a couple years ago.

I learned to shoot pic's on my dad's old Leica camera and remembered how good Leica's glass is just looking thru my nib Leica 1600b rangefinder mono. The quality is there too.

10x42's. Entry level alpha glass.
I have the Alpen 50's & a spotter if need be for distance great mid level glass.But I deserve some real decent glass that won't break an old fart too.
Leica Trinovid $1000 or Zeiss Conquest, about same,NIB. Or wait for a ship in SW NM?
Let me mention something about quality. price does not determine quality, you do. quality is what you say it is. I am amazed the words people say about $1500 scopes. But the only measure of clear is their own eye. I wonder who's eye they use at the factory before they slap on that high price? I have two rifle scopes, one a 2 3/4x fixed and the other a 1-4x varaible. I wonder what's to say about quality with them. Both scopes have been working well for me for over 50 yrs! they ran right around $80 best I remember! Night Force hasn't even been around 50 yrs! if it's a rifle scope, binoculars or spotting scope, they only one that can determine if it's acceptable to you is you. The quality end will become apparent over time! If your bais for judging quality is cost, your only fooling yourself. I'm not sure I'd trade you either of my 50 yr old $80 scopes for a new Night Force! I think company's like Leupold ect have about all the quality anyone can use without selling the farm to get them. what really is the actual difference between a $400, high end to me, optic and a $1500 optic? Can you really see well enough to tell the difference by looking out in some store's parking lot? Zeiss and Leica have a great name and I don't doubt they make a quality optic. what I would question is if they are really worth the asking price. Of course if money is no object, then it's easy to justify them! I have a few of the newer Redfield/Leupold rifle scopes. I could afford them and they do all I want of them. Not bad for about $150! Recently got a new Vortex 3-9x Crossfire scope for one of my 243's. Don't recall what I paid but suspect not much if any over $200. Does. everything I've asked of it and finger adjustable turrets! The only value any product has is it's ability to make the user happy for some acceptable period of time. We read all the time about someone asking about a rifle and wondering the resale value. Hell, they haven't even got it yet and they are thinking about selling it! I would pay $1500 for a rifle scope if I knew I could sell it tomorrow for $1800 and then buy something to use!

what really is the actual difference between a $400, high end to me, optic and a $1500 optic? Can you really see well enough to tell the difference by looking out in some store's parking lot? Zeiss and Leica have a great name and I don't doubt they make a quality optic. what I would question is if they are really worth the asking price.
Clarity, lack of eye strain, if you’re sitting behind a pair of binoculars or a spotter for hours at a time there’s a clearly visible difference.

I appreciate the feedback.
For me the upgrade is for early light,clarity and eye relief. Weight & balance,ergonomics. Worth it for quality almost half priced glass,to me. Just waiting til end of the month.....lol

I started with my dad's WWII ships binos in 1960, worked mowing the lawn for a guy from Bausch Laumb Lab in Pasadena and he gave me some early Bushnells,1965.....when we still made good glass. 20 years with the Alpens which I will keep all of. Time for an upgrade.

Now if we were talking trucks,I would never pay what they ask for a new one either.

I found some Zeiss Victory HT 10x42's,like new. Should be here next week. $1600 Happy B-day to me.
Tough decision between Leica Ultravid HD and the Zeiss in that condition and price.
Looked at many new suggestions too.

Seems like most Swaros are well used and keep a hefty price.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back