Bino opinions please

Mako

Hello again. I'm looking for Bino's but man is it confusing. I think I'm going with 10x42's, but which ones? I'm looking a Steiner, Leupold, Zeiss, and Meopta. I'd love a pair of Leica or Swaro's but a little too rich for my blood. I'm looking to spend ~$600

Also, how about some older/discontinued models? I seem to be finding quite a few on eGay. I'm not opposed to buying used if they are in good condition and can get a a set with better glass for the same price as a NIB lesser set.

I have a pair of the Meopta Meostar 10x42 HD. I paid less than 800 for these new in box. I love the glass, but the front lens caps that are tethered to the binoculars don't stay on very well which for me is annoying. However, since I keep them in a bino pouch, its not a deal breaker. Best glass for the money for my eyes. I have no desire to upgrade and would buy another pair if something happened to the ones I currently own.

I love my BX-4s. Compare very nicely against my roommates vortex razors, and I got them quite a bit below your budget.

Last edited:
My son just bought a pair of Leupold BX-4 10x42. They seem to be pretty nice . Haven’t taken them in the hills yet so no comparison there. I run Swarovski El but i wouldn’t hesitate to buy a pair of Leopold if that was my price range

Look at Vanguard HD. Most underrated glass. Hunting mags are know writing about them. I bought a pair on a whim many years ago. Now a have two pairs. When people look through they are blown away.

I am currently using Leupold BX-4 in both 8x42 and 10x50 and love them. Crisp, bright lenses and I really like the open bridge design, quality binos. I tried a pair of Meopta MeoPro's. While I thought the image quality was great, I couldn't get used to the fast, loose focus and ultimately returned them.

You say you’d love Leica or Swaro. That tells me that you’ll end up with some down the road. So, get good used glass that will hold it’s value. I happily used my Zeiss Conquest HDs for 5 years and sold them for $50 less than what I paid for them new. $10.00/yr is pretty good, in my opinion. European glass holds its value well. Many other popular brands, not so much.

The Nikon 7 is a very good buy in that price range, and is excellent. Check some bird watching forums. Bird watchers are very serious about binoculars.

Lots of great recommendations. You will likely never regret spending as much as you can to get the best you can. Great bino's are a pleasure to use and as you get older your eyes and therefore energy will really appreciate it.

I have a meostar 10x42 I am letting go for 749.00 shipped. New, full warranty, just getting rid of stock for other products. Any takers PM me
That’s a great deal... I have a set of Maven B1’s for work. Not bad, but not as good as the Conquests or Meopta to my eyes. I will say that hands down the best money I’ve ever spent on anything was $1600 I couldn’t afford at the time on my 10x42 Swaro SLCs.

I have a pair of the Meopta Meostar 10x42 HD. I paid less than 800 for these new in box. I love the glass, but the front lens caps that are tethered to the binoculars don't stay on very well which for me is annoying. However, since I keep them in a bino pouch, its not a deal breaker. Best glass for the money for my eyes. I have no desire to upgrade and would buy another pair if something happened to the ones I currently own.
2nd these...I am no ones brand loyalist, i buy what i can afford that is best for the money based on what i see when i can get my hands on the contenders. I wish i still had this very set to sell to you. The glass appears every bit as good as my leicas at a fraction of the cost (I only purchased my Leicas because of a discount program I was able to participate in). Alot of guys get fooled or pushed toward one brand or another for all the wrong reasons...dont let slick advertising sell you on anything, particularly optics - ALOT of false claims being made out there.

I love my Luepold BX-3 Mojaves . They are discontinued, but I’m sure that their replacement is good glass, and the BX-4s are probably even better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back