Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.

All the more reason to move out west
I am seriously thinking about a transfer with my agency down the road and getting one of those paid moves out to retire. People heading there in flocks now in another 10 years it may be so crowed even residents get put on the draw for every species.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. When I started looking to apply in the west several years ago I started with Wyoming as I felt it offered the best value for the money. Even with the price increases the value is still there. Selfishly, I can handle a price increase but the potential loss of opportunity is disappointing.
What loss in opportunity?

I keep hearing that, and yet I don't see it.

NR's are getting MORE than their allotment of deer, elk, and pronghorn tag in Wyoming.

They will CONTINUE to get more than their allotment of deer, elk, and pronghorn tags if this bill passes.

There is no lost opportunity...its that simple.

NR's are getting MORE than their allotment of deer, elk, and pronghorn tag in Wyoming.

They will CONTINUE to get more than their allotment of deer, elk, and pronghorn tags if this bill passes.

Then why change it?

This went over my head at first but I understand this now.

Someone explain to me how this affects pronghorn tags specifically as they are all limited quota and there's no general licenses like deer and elk.

Seriously?

We are loosing half of the allotted NR tags for the LE units....

Do you think guys like me were building preference points just to draw a general tag?

Reactions: JDH
I think there is something being missed here in the discussion about public lands advocacy and how it ties into hunting opportunity. I was moved to El Paso in 2008. For the first 10 years I lived here, I was unaware of the opportunities available for hunting and all other recreation on the plentiful BLM and NF lands of southern New Mexico. People that aren't from here don't know about these things. I even spent 5 of those years as an ultra runner utilizing trails for races that I had no idea I could even be on outside of the organized events. Ultra running groups don't discuss or promote public lands advocacy. This is my experience. Had I not found some of Randy's videos on YouTube by accident, I would still be in the dark about all of these things that are important to me now. Reducing opportunity though allocation or pricing will keep folks like me from ever even knowing what they missed out on. They won't ever become public land advocates, and probably won't ever experience public lands in any meaningful way outside of the National Parks. It's not necessarily about taking my ball and going home, some of it is just a missed opportunity at growing participation and as a result, advocacy for the things we love and cherish.

So that residents get 90% of the tags in the LQ areas...

Just the same as Residents in CA, NM, AZ, UT, MT, NV, WA, OR, etc. etc. have...
So that "There is no lost opportunity...its that simple." statement is not true. There is a loss in opportunity to the NR's in the LQ areas.

Is this one state/one change the end of hunting for NR's, for most probably not. But it is just another swipe in the death by a thousand cuts scenario.

This is why I always jump to the last page on these discussions.
Someone always gets crappy and turns a discussion into a catfight.
Always entertaining.

If we were to think about it, one thing that causes much of the heartburn people feel about changes like this is the shortsighted preference point/bonus point systems in place in the majority of states. Any analysis of how this change might affect preference point/random draws for NR in WY?

Being a city dweller in Texas, I pretty much rely on out of state public land opportunities. I have all ready been priced out of the market here. It's not a requirement, but if I don't hunt out of state, I don't hunt.
The same holds true for a lot of people in States with little public ground to hunt.

Even here where we have a fair amount of public ground, that ground is becoming saturated with hunters due to private land leases becoming less accessible because of the cost of leases and also because of changes in trespassing laws.

As someone alluded to earlier, the North American model just may be beginning to circle the drain.

We must be reading a different proposal Buzz.

Someone explain to me how this affects pronghorn tags specifically as they are all limited quota and there's no general licenses like deer and elk.

If I understand it correctly: 10% cut to NR tags in the initial draw. Residents draw better tags on average. More mid-lower point areas go leftover draw. I'm sure I'll be corrected if that is off base.

As someone alluded to earlier, the North American model just may be beginning to circle the drain.

Just spitballing here, but non-resident hunting seems like a tenuous foundation for the North American Model.

Back