Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.

Licence fees just went up significantly a couple of years ago, did they not? Is a type 4 tag really going to cost 8-900 dollars now...?
I understand the desire to do right by residents, but are things really so bad for WY residents now? Access to a WY general tag, every year seems pretty sweet. Maybe I'm just being sore because if this passes, it will probably affect the hunt I'd like to do in 2022 with my son.
I would love better odds at some LQ elk licenses and moose. I also would like to see NR draws for deer and pronghorn held to set quotas and not throw everything into their draw that residents don't apply for. Put all the resident leftovers in the leftover draw for all to have a chance at another license.

I would love better odds at some LQ elk licenses and moose. I also would like to see NR draws for deer and pronghorn held to set quotas and not throw everything into their draw that residents don't apply for. Put all the resident leftovers in the leftover draw for all to have a chance at another license.

Congratulations, you win the prize for the most selfish post of the year.

Too many people, not enough game. The only answer to this is to find ways to grow game populations but it seems all momentum is headed away from that with rapid habitat/winter range loss and rising predator populations, CWD, etc.
The last option for Non Residents will be hunting private land where the value of wildlife will drive many landowners to find ways to provide opportunities because $ potential is to high to ignore. The “North American” wildlife conservation model is not sustainable when public hunting opportunities become once every 10 years for 93% of the population (assuming population of 22 million in the 8 primary western/public land states/330 million US population ). That model is pretty much is dead in the east and has been totally dead in Texas for 50 years (if it ever existed here). Great hunting, but very expensive.
Sounds awfully negative and I wish it weren’t so, but rising populations in the mountain states are not compatible with NR public hunting on the current scale. I don’t think the sky is falling just yet, and there will always be opportunities for those who seek them, but the current trend sure looks bleak.

It would be exceedingly on brand for the legislature to pop the NR tag bubble and bankrupt G&F.

On the one hand, this seems to be what everyone is doing and it's fully the right of WY to do so....

My worry is what happens to hunting in general. We all know that western hunting is growing in popularity but Eastern hunting is declining.

What happens if you restrict the hunting across the west and price out everyone. I imagine there are at least some people out there that don't hunt much at home and then hunt CO/MT/WY every year as their main hunt. They really only hunt at home because they have the gear so why not. If you get rid of their big trip, and the local hunting sucks, then why not take up golf instead.

I don't understand why legislatures have to get involved or more correctly why they are allowed to get involved. Get a ballot issue passed to let the Game department manage the game. Let them fund themselves with whatever structure of tag allocation/price they determine is best. I know state owns the game but maybe we need to get at the non resident allocation issue from a federal standpoint. Like charge a usage permit to use federal lands like $20 for 1 $45 for all. If non resident tag allocation is below x say 15 percent then the fee is calculated by the factor non residents pay over the residents. Residents would speak up to meet that threshold so they wouldn't get gouged.

On the one hand, this seems to be what everyone is doing and it's fully the right of WY to do so....

My worry is what happens to hunting in general. We all know that western hunting is growing in popularity but Eastern hunting is declining.

What happens if you restrict the hunting across the west and price out everyone. I imagine there are at least some people out there that don't hunt much at home and then hunt CO/MT/WY every year as their main hunt. They really only hunt at home because they have the gear so why not. If you get rid of their big trip, and the local hunting sucks, then why not take up golf instead.
And to that point, why would those former hunters give a damn if “unused” public lands are sold off?

$1100 just seems crazy high compared to other states, who else is in that price range Nevada?
It does seem crazy. I don't hunt out of state except for birds every few years, so I don't claim to understand the mind of nonresident hunters.

i'd strongly consider ditching my elk points and forgetting about wyoming elk at 1100 a pop. easy to say living in a state chock full of elk though.

1100 bucks is fundamentally stupid amount of money to spend on a general elk unit that i'm unfamiliar with and full of people. sometimes the price is worth the experience with or without an animal in the cooler, in this case I think not though.

i hate to say it, but as my ability to get tags outside of my own state is continually looking to be diminished everywhere i look, i'm gonna keep pressing my own state and hoping they diminish NR opportunity too.

if my ability to get tags elsewhere keeps going down, i want my resident experience to at least stay status quo, if not get better - though in the meantime i don't have high hopes for that.
Yeah, all states might end up like North Dakota has been for as long as I can remember.

North Dakota gives UP TO one percent of deer tags in the state to NR. Up to one percent. Took me 18 years to draw a deer tag as a NR last year.

North Dakota gives ZERO of their big three (moose, elk, sheep) to NR. Even though for the last several years they have given out more moose tags than Montana does every year.

Sad to see things go this way.

I don’t like the increase in price but I definitely dislike the quota decrease. If I want to hunt elk every year it means I’m going to have to spend some $.
Im not going to hold out for 25-30 years in hopes of drawing a PA elk tag just so I can hunt at a discount.

I could care less if someone quit hunting over not being able to get out of state elk licenses. I wish they could stay cheap for middle class people who are passionate enough that they want to hunt in new and interesting places for the love of it.

As far as golfers,

If you get rid of their big trip, and the local hunting sucks, then why not take up golf instead.
Golfing is definitely cheaper. I always thought golf was for the rich/elite country club dwellers. Looks like I might have had it backwards.
I can definitely golf a lot throughout the summer at a fraction of the cost I have invested in hunting each fall.

Golfing is definitely cheaper. I always thought golf was for the rich/elite country club dwellers. Looks like I might have had it backwards.
I can definitely golf a lot throughout the summer at a fraction of the cost I have invested in hunting each fall.
Golf is quickly becoming the next bowling, very few to no recruitment every year, average age increases every year..........it’ll soon be like Elks Club, Eagles Club, Shriners, etc.

i hate to say it, but as my ability to get tags outside of my own state is continually looking to be diminished everywhere i look, i'm gonna keep pressing my own state and hoping they diminish NR opportunity too.

if my ability to get tags elsewhere keeps going down, i want my resident experience to at least stay status quo, if not get better - though in the meantime i don't have high hopes for that.
Long over-due...CO needs to start thinking of their resident hunters first.

Back