And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.

This aint the end...lol. With bump wyoming will still see record applications next year including many of you "take my ball and go home guys"..relax its just getting inline with rest of states
Till CO says hey we need to get in line with WY, and then MT says, hey people are paying to hunt CO with those short seasons... we should raise ours to $1500 and then WY says... whelp we aren't inline with other states.

If the idea is just charge what the market will bear...

I find it interesting that in the last 7 years the number of NR hunting WY has basically been the same but there have been less NR. Arguably it's acutally less crowded now than it was before.

1614630920568.png

1614630937813.png

I didn't apply. I almost did and instead decided to go the antelope route this year. So there is nothing for me to alter. If I had known this was coming I likely would have drawn in with the 6 points I have for elk and at least played the cards I was dealt.

Essentially, in 2022 (Next years draw) the tags for non-residents will be cut in half if this passes?
Not for elk, by regulation NR's get 7,250 full priced tags in the initial draw. Meaning if they "lose" 6% of the LQ tags, they'll gain that 6% back in general tags.

WOW! $600 bucks for an antelope tag no thank you....
Haha haha I'm sure some flat brimmed dummy will pay it though to satisfy his Instagram fame.
Can't blame resident for wanting their share at the normal 90/10. Looks like I have some decisions to make here also glad I am only 2 points in on A/D/E.

Till CO says hey we need to get in line with WY, and then MT says, hey people are paying to hunt CO with those short seasons... we should raise ours to $1500 and then WY says... whelp we aren't inline with other states.

If the idea is just charge what the market will bear...

I find it interesting that in the last 7 years the number of NR hunting WY has basically been the same but there have been less NR. Arguably it's acutally less crowded now than it was before.

View attachment 175868

View attachment 175869
Why is that hard to believe?

Regulation says that NR's get 7,250 full priced tags in the initial draw...caps in licenses create that.

Also, some of those NR's may have held up to 3 elk licenses each, spread across 3 unique hunting units.

With everyone taking their football and going home maybe I will still get to WY more often than not. Guess I can always hope.

1614631039465.png
1614631048636.png

1614631105343.png
1614631113466.png

Colorado has way less hunters than a decade ago, and the harvest has nose dived.

What is interesting to me is the Rec days hasn't really changed, so people are hunting harder.

Last edited by a moderator:
All these changes after nearly 20yrs of playing the hand as dealt to NRs in multiple states is about enough to make me just give up on NR big game hunting. Just want one more pronghorn hunt next year for my then to be 12yo son. Even if I can't afford a tag for myself.

As I burn points that I've accumulated, I'll likely not get more and seriously consider just taking Hank for NR bird trips.

The continued price NR increases and limits on tags will have a negative impact on support for public lands by NR hunters.
I couldn't agree more I've dropped 2 states this year and most likely 3 if this passes that leaves 2 I'll stay in until they catch the fever themselves.

I am going to switch gears. Support all measures that puts as many tags in private hands and on public market as possible. Not just in WY but everywhere. Transferable LO tags shit yea, the more the better. Outfitter allocations, sign me up. Auctions, the more the better. Outfitter tag consseions on public land? Go for it.
I am with you. My issue personally is not the tag cost but the lack of opportunity.

I'll take the resident hunter attitude here: sucks for those less fortunate than me, but that's the breaks.

Turns out this whole thing about providing opportunity is smoke and mirrors depending on where you live.

Why is that hard to believe?

Regulation says that NR's get 7,250 full priced tags in the initial draw...caps in licenses create that.

Also, some of those NR's may have held up to 3 elk licenses each, spread across 3 unique hunting units.
Why is what hard to believe?

Ben,
It already is pretty much there. Actually quite a bit more than that if you happen to have your heart set on a particular area.

I'm hoping to cash in this year and then be done with elk hunting, probably for the rest of my life. It is much closer to 1/life than 1/10 in many instances (all of those regions already at +10 points for instance).

In the end, this will cost Wyoming money eventually. Out of staters will just refuse to pay.
I've seen zero data in recent years that suggests NR will refuse to pay.

And for the record, as a resident I'm not all in on this...I'd get to hunt with NR friends and family less frequently, at least on their tags. I probably have more NR friends that I care to hunt with than I do R. Obviously there are perks for R's and I'll take 'em if it goes. It just is what it is, and not surprising.

WOW! $600 bucks for an antelope tag no thank you....
Haha haha I'm sure some flat brimmed dummy will pay it though to satisfy his Instagram fame.
Can't blame resident for wanting their share at the normal 90/10. Looks like I have some decisions to make here also glad I am only 2 points in on A/D/E.
I'd gladly take your $600 pronghorn tag to have a third pronghorn buck tag here....all day long, and greedily.

Its not hard to believe the numbers stay static when NR's are capped at 7250 elk tags in the initial draw...
I was referring to the Resident numbers.

"We need to change the quota, there isn't enough opportunity for Residents any more"

Well... NR are capped and Residents have declined. So 🤷‍♂️

I've seen zero data in recent years that suggests NR will refuse to pay.

And for the record, as a resident I'm not all in on this...I'd get to hunt with NR friends and family less frequently, at least on their tags. I probably have more NR friends that I care to hunt with than I do R. Obviously there are perks for R's and I'll take 'em. It just is what it is, and not surprising.
Just heard from JM77 that were 6,476 more NR elk applications this year than last.

Also, depending what your NR friends hunt, it may not impact that much, if at all. If they hunt region wide NR deer tags, no reduction in quota for those. If they hunt general elk, possible to see less point creep and better odds in the random general elk. Depending on pronghorn units...may be hunting less often for sure.

And for the record, as a resident I'm not all in on this...I'd get to hunt with NR friends and family less frequently, at least on their tags. I probably have more NR friends that I care to hunt with than I do R. Obviously there are perks for R's and I'll take 'em. It just is what it is, and not surprising.
+1

I am with you. My issue personally is not the tag cost but the lack of opportunity.

I'll take the resident hunter attitude here: sucks for those less fortunate than me, but that's the breaks.

Turns out this whole thing about providing opportunity is smoke and mirrors depending on where you live.

I might even begin to see some potental upside to PLT if we can get those lands into the hands of private indivuals and companies.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back