Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.

I’d like to know how many total antelope tags Wyoming residents get currently, what percentage of the residents get tags and then compare this with the other western states as I didn’t hear these numbers in Senator Hicks presentation....

I’d like to know how many total antelope tags Wyoming residents get currently, what percentage of the residents get tags and then compare this with the other western states as I didn’t hear these numbers in Senator Hicks presentation....

It doesn't matter. There are too many NR shooting what could have been a WY resident's 2nd antelope buck.

There is no comparison state. WY has more than half of the world’s antelope. I’m guessing MT is #2 for antelope population, but the resident hunters to antelope ratio is not even remotely close to WY.

In the very recent past, any WY resident who wanted a leftover 2nd buck antelope tag could get one. As of 2020 they no longer can. Some WY residents don’t like this, and want to find a way to shoot 2 buck antelope per year - reducing the NR quota is an appealing way to do this. There are many other ways too, but almost all of them decrease NR opportunity one way or another.

In the very recent past, any WY resident who wanted a leftover 2nd buck antelope tag could get one. As of 2020 they no longer can. Some WY residents don’t like this, and want to find a way to shoot 2 buck antelope per year - reducing the NR quota is an appealing way to do this. There are many other ways too, but almost all of them decrease NR opportunity one way or another.
This is simply not true, but a typical response from those who want to call Wyoming residents greedy, but don't cross that line. There were never that many leftovers available to residents as a second tag. That said, the rest of the statement above is also not true. I have never heard a resident complain they couldn't get a second buck, simply because most don't even try to get one.

What I hear every year are resident complaints of not drawing a buck tag period. Most residents don't apply for hard access areas or doe/fawn tags and because of that nonresidents get around 50% of the antelope tags in Wyoming. That trend is going to change whether antelope goes 90/10 or not.

I wonder how long it will be before elk hunting is a once in 10 year activity for nonresidents at best.
Yup, hit the nail right on the head. Won’t be long and people will take their money elsewhere like foreign countries because it’ll be just as expensive to hunt elk as it will be to hunt Buffalo in Africa. Maybe not today but in the near future. Each of these states is slowly working their ways against each other in price and non-residents are being pushed out; I hope residents can pay the way. With all respect.

Really ElkFever2 because I haven't had a second pronghorn buck tag since the early 90's .
I sure hope the commission does away with the roll over into the NR draw, be nice to see NR deal with a hard quota for their 1st draw.

This is simply not true, but a typical response from those who want to call Wyoming residents greedy, but don't cross that line. There were never that many leftovers available to residents as a second tag. That said, the rest of the statement above is also not true. I have never heard a resident complain they couldn't get a second buck, simply because most don't even try to get one.

What I hear every year are resident complaints of not drawing a buck tag period. Most residents don't apply for hard access areas or doe/fawn tags and because of that nonresidents get around 50% of the antelope tags in Wyoming. That trend is going to change whether antelope goes 90/10 or not.
Possibly your most ridiculous post I’ve read on this forum. You have to rely on a lot of assumptions making your points. See my other posts on this thread and you’ll clearly see you’re I’m not inferring what you think I am.

I shot my first and only buck antelope last year not too far from where you live. I am very grateful for this experience. I am not applying again this year for buck antelope, possibly not ever again. I am simply interested in prioritizing other hunts, that’s all. If WY residents want 100% of future buck antelope tags, well, go right ahead and enjoy yourselves. Seriously. I won’t begrudge you for a second. Why would that be greedy? I don’t need a buck antelope tag every year, or any year. Although, there are certainly NR’s who will complain about not getting one, I’m aware.
Really ElkFever2 because I haven't had a second pronghorn buck tag since the early 90's .
I sure hope the commission does away with the roll over into the NR draw, be nice to see NR deal with a hard quota for their 1st draw.
Yes, really. If you wanted a leftover buck antelope tag for all those years, you certainly could have got one. Your choice if you wanted one or not. You didn’t, and many other hunters snagged them. So be it. Now they can’t...The tags were almost entirely snatched up in the initial draw in 2020 - a world apart from just a few years earlier.

I think the resident rollover to NR in the initial draw is reasonable. However, you’re very welcome to opine otherwise. I appreciate being able to come to your state to hunt and fish as I have done so off and on over the last 29 years. I am appreciative of any and all recreational opportunities available to me.

I actually like what i read, based on the recent trends from other states its fair. Wyoming was extremely generous with NR big3 tags and bison now there trying to level the playing field. Price increases are crazy but demand is crazy also. No outfitter fluff just simple adjustments that i agree with, sorry if your on losing side....
It’s not about loosing side....it’s about continually screwing the non resident. This is getting crazy and if we aren’t careful we are going to be talking to our kids about elk hunting like it’s sheep hunting.....I don’t care about the big 3 tags but when it comes to elk deer and antelope reducing tags in the lowest populated state in the US makes 0 sense. Guess who fights for public land.....non residents. Guess who won’t care when they start privatizing federal lands and elk becomes even more a rich mans game. Shame to see so much hatred of non residents.

Possibly your most ridiculous post I’ve read on this forum. You have to rely on a lot of assumptions making your points. See my other posts on this thread and you’ll clearly see you’re I’m not inferring what you think I am.

I shot my first and only buck antelope last year not too far from where you live. I am very grateful for this experience. I am not applying again this year for buck antelope, possibly not ever again. I am simply interested in prioritizing other hunts, that’s all. If WY residents want 100% of future buck antelope tags, well, go right ahead and enjoy yourselves. Seriously. I won’t begrudge you for a second. Why would that be greedy? I don’t need a buck antelope tag every year, or any year. Although, there are certainly NR’s who will complain about not getting one, I’m aware.
@ElkFever2

You wrote:
"In the very recent past, any WY resident who wanted a leftover 2nd buck antelope tag could get one."

This is not true and never has been. To be true, there would have to be 13-14k buck tags leftover after the initial NR draw. This has never happened.

You also wrote:
" Some WY residents don’t like this, and want to find a way to shoot 2 buck antelope per year - reducing the NR quota is an appealing way to do this. There are many other ways too, but almost all of them decrease NR opportunity one way or another."

This is simply false. You can call me wrong or ridiculous, but I live here and hear what resident hunters say. Never once have I heard or seen anyone promote changing license allocation because they want a second buck antelope tag.

I'm not going to chase your other posts so I can find another meaning in these words you wrote, but if you want to clarify what it is you are inferring, have at it.

There is no comparison state. WY has more than half of the world’s antelope. I’m guessing MT is #2 for antelope population, but the resident hunters to antelope ratio is not even remotely close to WY.

I agree with JM77...you're not looking at this right.

This isnt about reducing NR opportunity, NR's are already getting way more than their allocation of pronghorn permits in the initial draw.

Asking the GF to not roll the Resident allocation into the NR initial draw is not, in any way, shape, or form..."taking"
opportunity from NR's.

NR's should only be given access to anything beyond their 20% allocation until AFTER a second resident only leftover draw for the 80% of tags that we are assured via regulation.

Leaving the initial splits is fine with me, giving NR's 20% of the pronghorn tags in the initial draw is fair...but Residents should be getting a separate resident only draw for the undersubscribed Resident pronghorn tags from the initial split (80%) before a single one becomes available to a NR.

This isn't about Residents getting a second tag, but assuring that any resident that wants at least one buck tag is assured that from the 80% of tags they're assured via regulation. If some Residents want a second tag from our 80% allocation, that's fine too...but certainly not the reason that Residents want another Resident only leftover draw.

Last edited:
Leaving the initial splits is fine with me...but Residents should be getting a separate resident only draw for the undersubscribed Resident pronghorn tags before a single one become available to a NR.
So in your system,, leftovers go to residents, and then leftover leftovers go to non-residents?

If that's what it would take to keep an 80/20 split then I think we (NRs) gotta take that deal every time.

Edit: grammar

So in your system,, leftovers go to residents, and then leftover leftovers go to non-residents?

If that's what it would take to keep an 80/20 split then I think we (NRs) gotta take that deal every time.

Edit: grammar
What happens is there is an initial split of 80-20 from all the available pronghorn tags. Any tags that Residents don't draw, automatically drop into the initial NR draw allocation.

What many Residents are wanting to see is a separate Resident only draw for OUR 80%...anything leftover after that would be available to anyone, including R and NR.

So yes, I would be in favor of leaving the initial splits at 80/20 IF residents get a separate draw for all the undersubscribed R tags from the initial draw.

If not, then I push for 90-10 in the initial draw.

It’s not about loosing side....it’s about continually screwing the non resident. This is getting crazy and if we aren’t careful we are going to be talking to our kids about elk hunting like it’s sheep hunting.....I don’t care about the big 3 tags but when it comes to elk deer and antelope reducing tags in the lowest populated state in the US makes 0 sense. Guess who fights for public land.....non residents. Guess who won’t care when they start privatizing federal lands and elk becomes even more a rich mans game. Shame to see so much hatred of non residents.
How is going to 90-10 going to change the number of NR full price elk tags in Wyoming?

Answer: It wont.

What happens is there is an initial split of 80-20 from all the available pronghorn tags. Any tags that Residents don't draw, automatically drop into the initial NR draw allocation.

What many Residents are wanting to see is a separate Resident only draw for OUR 80%...anything leftover after that would be available to anyone, including R and NR.

So yes, I would be in favor of leaving the initial splits at 80/20 IF residents get a separate draw for all the undersubscribed R tags from the initial draw.

Idk as a nonresident that seems fair. Someone could always move if they would like to Capitalize on outdoor recreation in another state.

Last edited:
Just curious Does anyone know what percentage of resident applicants aren’t drawing a buck tag in the initial draw?

How is going to 90-10 going to change the number of NR full price elk tags in Wyoming?

Answer: It wont.
Well basic math says you’re wrong. Currently non residents get 16% of the elk tags in Wyoming reducing to 10% would effectively reduce the amount of tags for non-residents by 37.5%. The problem is the great bait and switch. Where if you done this as a private business you’d go to jail for fraud by allowing someone to buy points under one system. Invest thousands of dollars....not sure as a Wyoming resident what you have to complain about. You get an elk tag every year a deer tag every year and an antelope tag if you want one. Sorry just seems selfish to me. I’ve never looked at a fellow hunter and said I wish you couldn’t hunt here cause you don’t live here....

I like 90/10 with a rollover. Standardize all specices, keep elk 7250 and offer a lower rate type4/5 elk tag(maybe current rate) if not reducing type4/5 fee, reduce elk tag guarantee to address decreased demand for those tags(at proposed $1100) and increased general demands/ participation, i dont want 7000 of 7250 tags going general. With demand being what it is and what i am paying as a NR elsewhere including turkey & whitetail deer tags, we need HUGE rate increase, atleast west of i25!

Well basic math says you’re wrong. Currently non residents get 16% of the elk tags in Wyoming reducing to 10% would effectively reduce the amount of tags for non-residents by 37.5%. The problem is the great bait and switch. Where if you done this as a private business you’d go to jail for fraud by allowing someone to buy points under one system. Invest thousands of dollars....not sure as a Wyoming resident what you have to complain about. You get an elk tag every year a deer tag every year and an antelope tag if you want one. Sorry just seems selfish to me. I’ve never looked at a fellow hunter and said I wish you couldn’t hunt here cause you don’t live here....
The number of full price NR elk licenses won’t change due to the fact that however many NR LQ tags are lost if it goes 90/10 that amount of NR full price tags would be added to the NR General Full price elk tags to bring the quota back to 7250.
Also nobody is forced to buy points in any state. Many of us purchase points for a variety of reasons but it is our choice to do so.

Couldn’t those residents that want a pronghorn tag just put in for a 2nd & 3rd choice in the initial drawing?
Why wait for a leftover draw?

Back