An elk hunt with scenery, no dead elk, and situational ethics

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Here is the setting. A large herd of elk is in a basin. You are set up and getting ready to take a shot from 375. The elk are suddenly spooked, and you see some hunters on the other side of the basin, and upwind of the elk. The hunters shoot, putting one cow down.

The elk run off the end of the ridge, so you walk the rim of the reef in hopes of seeing the elk on the other side. While walking the reef, an elk head catches your eye. You glass a cow bedded below you, and towards the other hunters. She is obviously wounded and you don’t see any effort to track or locate her.

You opt to shoot her, which you do moments later when she stands. You don’t see her leave the small clump of fir trees. You walk down to where you shot her. You jump her at 20 feet and she runs towards a boundary fence that is less than 100 yards away, giving you no shot.

You see blood on her trail out of both sides, blood in her bed, and blood on her track. One of the hunters below you is waving at you so you walk down.

Him: you going to get your elk? She’s in those trees (less than 100 feet from the fence) and hasn’t left.
You: I don’t know who owns this ground, I can’t until I get permission. Do you know who owns it?
Him: I’m the outfitter for this ranch.
You: Great, can you give me permission?
Him: How much are you willing to pay to get her?
You: I don’t have any cash on me.
Him: I’ll give you my address and you can mail me a check.

He crosses the fence and looks at you, then says “you can pay me it I’m going up there to finish her and I’ll tag her”.

You look at him and say ”do what you think is right”.

He walks up the hill and you walk away. A minute later a single shot rings out.

41D4C539-0FEF-4E11-B262-A81A2CBC6477.jpg

5AB64BD3-A382-4540-B46D-772561C1286E.jpg

B398175C-3EDE-4C69-9DE9-61FAA532E116.jpg

5D2D28BB-57E8-44DB-838A-5D99F25C46FC.jpg

8D85B920-B553-4CD5-84D7-B4976D0C6A55.jpg

1D7C68FA-B16A-491D-86FF-EA78825C7188.jpg

9EDBDF93-91CB-455D-B157-759E0B885968.jpg

473CF7ED-DA16-44C2-B10C-98D8D9681343.jpg

9B7286BC-4F06-4353-9B32-06B488E86670.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Crappy situation either way. Me i would let him take it. They shot it in the first place and you can't cross to private property. My brother has shot an animal before and it does 10 feet over in private. He called the game warden and there was nothing the warden could do if the land owner wouldn't give permission to retrieve the animal. Like I said crappy situation but breaking the law doesn't trump ethics, especially when the outfitter has already talked to you.

I'm contacting the local warden straightaway. GPS, photos, blood, tracks, they tell your side of the story. You might get your cow, you might get to incriminate a crooked (scumbag, assclown, sack of spoo) outfitter. Win-win. Please post up his name and outfitting business. You might even get a reward, preference point or some other Operation Game Thief-type atta-boy.

What a bizarre interaction. I guess I don’t understand folks like that. Sorry you had to deal with it. Neat country though. How’d Finn do on an elk hunt?

The name of the outfitting business should be posted and avoided by all.

Not that it really matters cause he is a greedy asshat. But was it his hunters who shot it in the first place or a different group?

You showed a lot better restraint in your conversation than I would of.

Tough situation. You do not even know if he was telling the truth. I think a quickie call to a game officer to CYA would be appropriate. Don’t need to get into a bunch of finger pointing, just.... I shot a previously wounded cow, she fled to private, I was denied permission to access private by a representative of the owner.
Nice photos. Sometimes the worst thing you can do on a great hunt is ruin it by shooting a stinky ungulate.

Please post up his name and outfitting business.

In due time.

But was it his hunters who shot it in the first place or a different group?

The same group, in all likelihood.

but 3 shots to kill a cow?

I take full responsibility for not making a one shot kill so this would never have happened.

I take full responsibility for not making a one shot kill so this would never have happened.

It's that 6.5, bounces right off 'em:D

We would have appreciated a pic of your face in one of them holes in the face hole deal at the espresso shop.

Always carry a shovel...Shoot him Bury Him... who Knows!!!:cool:

God, your conscience, the other hunters he was guiding, the Warden coming to arrest you, the Judge who sentences you, and a guy named Bubba who is your newest roommate. :hump:

JLS, sorry you had a negative experience, but am thankful that you chose to help put an wounded animal down. That shows good morals and ethics, we as a hunting society need more of that.

God, your conscience, the other hunters he was guiding, the Warden coming to arrest you, the Judge who sentences you, and a guy named Bubba who is your newest roommate. :hump:

JLS, sorry you had a negative experience, but am thankful that you chose to help put an wounded animal down. That shows good morals and ethics, we as a hunting society need more of that.

100 % in agreement here. Choosing to use your non resident tag to put down someone else's wounded animal is commendable JLS. What happened afterwards has to be a bitter pill. Some people.:(

B&W photo is primo JLS.

As for the chitshow, I’m thinking the outfitter picked the wrong guy to proposition/shakedown.

Last edited:
Back