MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

An elk hunt with scenery, no dead elk, and situational ethics

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I had a land owner tell me not only no but F--- You no and hung up on me, when asked if we could retrieve a dead cow that had crossed a fence. It is sad that some do not care if it is left to rot. A friend hunted a place for 9 days and watched hundreds of elk that did not leave the private land. A new owner that charges a $1000 for a cow and so no one hunts it. And if they start to leave a jeep drives the edge so they go back.

I think I would have called the game warden and the landowner! If it was my land I wouldn't want an outfitter like that on my property! As for your shot, I'm sure it was a good shot it's hunting!

That's a bummer of a situation. I would of called the land owner and asked for myself if I could retrieve the animal. That guy might of been just a fast talker trying to get some cash from you

Seems like 1 out of 5 hunters is an asshole, and you met him.

Bum deal, but not much else to do. It really is a shame when hunting is tainted by an experience like that. Looks like a great trip otherwise.

Sounds like the guy had to up his marketed success rate. Hard to tell from the story ”who’s bull” I’d consider it. If he didn’t try to shake you down it might not have been that odd of an interaction.

This was the outfitter:

This event was discussed at length with Wyoming Game and Fish. I don't know the outcome, I trust them to do their job. Some eyebrows were raised with some of the details I provided.

This was the outfitter:

This event was discussed at length with Wyoming Game and Fish. I don't know the outcome, I trust them to do their job. Some eyebrows were raised with some of the details I provided.
Thanks for pursuing it w WGF. You were promoting the interests of good guy hunters and I appreciate it.
1588463117773.png

Maybe the outfitter will tell his side of the story now that they have been named??

I think you handled it great. You were willing to finish off and tag an elk Someone else wounded. I would’ve told him that if he wants to go tag the elk his group wounded initially, be my guest.

Maybe the outfitter will tell his side of the story now that they have been named??
I don’t know what there is to tell differently. It was probably an elk they crippled during their initial volley. They were making no effort to locate it. I couldn’t summon them without spooking the cow. The outfitter could not legally demand a trespass fee (I found this out later).

Last edited by a moderator:
As for your shot, I'm sure it was a good shot it's hunting!
I couldn’t fully see the cow and misjudged the angle she was standing at. Had I held about 4-6” further forward this would have all been a moot point. She likely would have taken two steps and died.

I think you handled it great. You were willing to finish off and tag an elk Someone else wounded. I would’ve told him that if he wants to go tag the elk his group wounded initially, be my guest.
Honestly had I been able to let them know ahead of time, I would have been happy to point this elk out to them so they could finish it. The ransom fee demand was what really pissed me off.

Honestly had I been able to let them know ahead of time, I would have been happy to point this elk out to them so they could finish it. The ransom fee demand was what really pissed me off.

Yeah the ransom fee would have gotten under my skin as well, but I think you handled it the best you could given the situation. Just curious why you waited so long to name the outfitter in question?

Just curious why you waited so long to name the outfitter in question?
Because I didn’t want to name anyone until I spoke to the Game Warden, and then I simply forgot to revisit this thread until I stumbled across it the other day looking for something else.

Not sure how this is possible...they are

The West Best Big Game Outfitter in Wyoming

...according to their webpage 😂😂
Yeah right. There is an outfitter in the north eastern part of the state who I consider one of the best I’ve known. This guy is a clown show.

Back