American prairie. What's the issue?

That’s not funny, if it was me their ass would be in court.
We considered it. The official line was that they felt the other party was already emotionally invested since they had visited the property twice and been in discussions for a month, so they felt obligated to sell it to them. (I call this dragging feet).
I actually misspoke when I called that party the successful buyers. They backed out on the seller a few weeks later while in the inspection contingency.
The other thing being that we had no hard proof and we aren’t actually a lesbian couple.
Then, we got an offer accepted on a better piece for the same price the next week, so it all worked out for us.

We considered it. The official line was that they felt the other party was already emotionally invested since they had visited the property twice and been in discussions for a month, so they felt obligated to sell it to them. (I call this dragging feet).
I actually misspoke when I called that party the successful buyers. They backed out on the seller a few weeks later while in the inspection contingency.
The other thing being that we had no hard proof and we aren’t actually a lesbian couple.
Then, we got an offer accepted on a better piece for the same price the next week, so it all worked out for us.
Glad it worked out for you.

FYI for others with interest, being wrong after the fact in identifying race, gender, etc to be discriminatory against is not a defense.

My name is Riley, which is predominantly a female name, especially in other parts of the country.

Quite a few male Riley’s around here. Could be like me and have the first name Laker. I think everyone automatically assumes they are talking to a 12 year old when I introduce myself on the phone. I mean sure most days my mentality is that of a 12 year old but come on

It's not funny that discrimination happens.
Sounds like it worked out for him/her. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Certainly not my intentions. Hopefully you don’t experience discrimination I certainly don’t want to.

Sounds like it worked out for him/her. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Certainly not my intentions. Hopefully you don’t experience discrimination I certainly don’t want to.
It doesn't matter that it worked out ok for him. Its proof that it happens and people just laugh it off.

Reactions: DFS
Funny side story… I lost out on a piece of property I tried to buy once, even though I had the highest offer and the successful buyers had been dragging their feet until I put my offer in.
My name is Riley, which is predominantly a female name, especially in other parts of the country. After it fell through, we found out that the older couple that was selling it thought that my wife and I were a lesbian couple and they didn’t want to do that to the neighbors…
Maybe they got in the mix up after they googled you and got a look at your avatar.

How about the lgtbq..xyz give the world a break ?
If you really think about it, do you really think that the last 10 years of activity on the topic has been a greater burden on we straight folks than the last several hundred years of discrimination have been on the LGBTQ population.

Honestly, how many times has LGTBQ activism caused you to worry about getting a job, or about having a place to live, or about being able to access appropriate medical services, or being able to marry whom you loved or about your personal safety walking alone?

I am not trying to be argumentative, but sincerely, why is this such a big deal to liberty loving folks? To each there own tends to be my motto.

I was originally curious if this thread was really about land prices and the ability for younger farmers/ranchers to get into the business, as some state are their concerns of APR's activity, or do some not want to see the market system work because of who the buyer is; APR? After enough posts, my curiosity is satisfied and the evidence is pretty strong the motivations of many.

A small sample of sales below are huge acreages at crazy per-acre values, yet these sales have had no comments about pricing young farmers/ranchers out of the market. Maybe I'm too simple to understand, but where's the angst on these huge sales; are these not far more damaging to the fate of "The Cowboy?"

- Tom Siebel listed the N Bar for $45 million and it was bought by the Wilks Brothers.

- The Koch Brothers sell the Matador to Rupert Murdoch, when reported price was $200+ million.

- Stan Kronke bought the Broken O when it was listed for $133 million. In addition to the many other ranches he and his Wal-Mart wife have bought in Montana.

- Jim and Bea Taylor sell the Horse Ranch to the Wilks Brothers for $15 million.

- Tom Brokaw sold his West Boulder Ranch to the Dominos Pizza tycoon and it was listed for $18 million.

- Glenn Patch sold the Crazy Mountain Ranch to Phillip Morris who just sold it for many "x" more than the many millions they paid to Patch et al.

- Jim Kennedy Cox sold his White Sulphur ranch to the Wilks brothers.

- Ted Turner has purchased over 2 million acres, and according to him, across eight states, with much of that in Montana. And across those holdings he runs 45,000 bison; worthy of note given bison are such a big concern.

- The Climbing Arrow (CA) Ranch, just sold for $136 million.

- Look at all the other ranches here that have sold for $10+ million, just in the last year or two - https://westernranchbrokers.com/sold-montana-ranches/.

- For those wanting to "Save some Cowboys," here is a list of ranches for sale that folks can start protesting as part of their campaign of concern - https://fayranches.com/ranches-for-sale/rocky-mountain-land-properties-for-sale/montana-properties/

I could list a lot more of them with millionaires/billionaires selling to other millionaires/billionaires.

I'd prefer to see land stay with producers, for a lot of reasons. I wish the numbers for agriculture could pencil out and make sense for younger folks wanting a start. But it doesn't. I share the same concern as @Eric Albus with regards to what this reality means for rural Montana where I spend most of my summers.

I don't expect the folks who worked their asses off for generations to sell at lower prices for altruistic reasons or due to peer pressure when the New Age billionaires buy/sell these ranches with great regularity. Good for those folks who cash out. They somehow hung on through really tough times and they deserve every penny they get, regardless of who the buyer is.

Since the trend of billionaire buyers isn't changing anytime soon and given we have no control over that trend, for the sake of these folks finally cashing out, I hope the billionaires and APR get in some hellacious bidding wars for their properties.

These concerns of pricing out young farmers will carry more weight and sincerity when we start seeing signs to "Save the Cowboy" by boycotting Wal-Mart, the LA Rams/Denver Nuggets/Colorado Avalanche, the Outdoor Channel/Sportsman Channel, Cox Communications, Mars, Phillip Morris, Dominos Pizza, Fox Networks, Wall Street Journal, Comcast, Goldman Sachs, and the many other enterprises that fund the billionaires' buying sprees in Montana.

The way this topic gets framed is peculiar. It's about dislike of APR as some sort of bogeyman, which is fine. The gymnastics some employ to frame it as something other than dislike for APR does make for good humor.

Carry on ........

The OP legitimately as a Utard, didn't understand if their was a "dark hand", conspiracy, or just outsiders coming in, that makes APR controversial.

Doesn't seem like after 240 posts, it much more than the usual, NIMBY/Outsiders concern.

As I sit here on the Wasatch front, watching it go from onion and corn land, to apartments, I'd take APR, in a heartbeat.

If you really think about it, do you really think that the last 10 years of activity on the topic has been a greater burden on we straight folks than the last several hundred years of discrimination have been on the LGBTQ population.

Honestly, how many times has LGTBQ activism caused you to worry about getting a job, or about having a place to live, or about being able to access appropriate medical services, or being able to marry whom you loved or about your personal safety walking alone?

I am not trying to be argumentative, but sincerely, why is this such a big deal to liberty loving folks? To each there own tends to be my motto.
To each their own, no problem.

Problems for me start when there’s a push for biologic men/boys to use the same public bathroom/locker room/shower as women/girls. When men/boys can compete in women’s athletics, or visa versus.
This sort of behavior is not normal, right, or good. It’s pushing deviancy as the norm.

This thread is way off topic….so back to the APR, just curios for you folks in know, on the pastures where APR runs bison, do they get by with just regular fences or do they have to employ some kind of “bison” fence to keep those things off the neighbors? Thanks for the info

This thread is way off topic….so back to the APR, just curios for you folks in know, on the pastures where APR runs bison, do they get by with just regular fences or do they have to employ some kind of “bison” fence to keep those things off the neighbors? Thanks for the info
They do have some electric fence up. I'm not sure if it runs entirely around the pastures that hold the bison or not, but the elk absolutely do not like the electric fences. APR managers/maintenance are also good about fixing fence that the bison tear down. Also, not sure if the electric fence is a requirement or choice. Being told it is choice.

Last edited:
I was originally curious if this thread was really about land prices and the ability for younger farmers/ranchers to get into the business, as some state are their concerns of APR's activity, or do some not want to see the market system work because of who the buyer is; APR? After enough posts, my curiosity is satisfied and the evidence is pretty strong the motivations of many.

A small sample of sales below are huge acreages at crazy per-acre values, yet these sales have had no comments about pricing young farmers/ranchers out of the market. Maybe I'm too simple to understand, but where's the angst on these huge sales; are these not far more damaging to the fate of "The Cowboy?"

- Tom Siebel listed the N Bar for $45 million and it was bought by the Wilks Brothers.

- The Koch Brothers sell the Matador to Rupert Murdoch, when reported price was $200+ million.

- Stan Kronke bought the Broken O when it was listed for $133 million. In addition to the many other ranches he and his Wal-Mart wife have bought in Montana.

- Jim and Bea Taylor sell the Horse Ranch to the Wilks Brothers for $15 million.

- Tom Brokaw sold his West Boulder Ranch to the Dominos Pizza tycoon and it was listed for $18 million.

- Glenn Patch sold the Crazy Mountain Ranch to Phillip Morris who just sold it for many "x" more than the many millions they paid to Patch et al.

- Jim Kennedy Cox sold his White Sulphur ranch to the Wilks brothers.

- Ted Turner has purchased over 2 million acres, and according to him, across eight states, with much of that in Montana. And across those holdings he runs 45,000 bison; worthy of note given bison are such a big concern.

- The Climbing Arrow (CA) Ranch, just sold for $136 million.

- Look at all the other ranches here that have sold for $10+ million, just in the last year or two - https://westernranchbrokers.com/sold-montana-ranches/.

- For those wanting to "Save some Cowboys," here is a list of ranches for sale that folks can start protesting as part of their campaign of concern - https://fayranches.com/ranches-for-sale/rocky-mountain-land-properties-for-sale/montana-properties/

I could list a lot more of them with millionaires/billionaires selling to other millionaires/billionaires.

I'd prefer to see land stay with producers, for a lot of reasons. I wish the numbers for agriculture could pencil out and make sense for younger folks wanting a start. But it doesn't. I share the same concern as @Eric Albus with regards to what this reality means for rural Montana where I spend most of my summers.

I don't expect the folks who worked their asses off for generations to sell at lower prices for altruistic reasons or due to peer pressure when the New Age billionaires buy/sell these ranches with great regularity. Good for those folks who cash out. They somehow hung on through really tough times and they deserve every penny they get, regardless of who the buyer is.

Since the trend of billionaire buyers isn't changing anytime soon and given we have no control over that trend, for the sake of these folks finally cashing out, I hope the billionaires and APR get in some hellacious bidding wars for their properties.

These concerns of pricing out young farmers will carry more weight and sincerity when we start seeing signs to "Save the Cowboy" by boycotting Wal-Mart, the LA Rams/Denver Nuggets/Colorado Avalanche, the Outdoor Channel/Sportsman Channel, Cox Communications, Mars, Phillip Morris, Dominos Pizza, Fox Networks, Wall Street Journal, Comcast, Goldman Sachs, and the many other enterprises that fund the billionaires' buying sprees in Montana.

The way this topic gets framed is peculiar. It's about dislike of APR as some sort of bogeyman, which is fine. The gymnastics some employ to frame it as something other than dislike for APR does make for good humor.

Carry on ........

The history of the westward expansion is rife with the landed gentry trying to take control over the entirety of the land: Scottish & English Barons saw the beef market and cheap land/grazing as a way to financial wealth, so they bought large swaths of the west to run their cows, often times coming into conflict with settlers and pioneers. The Johnson County Cattle War, the sheep wars of AZ, etc. Hell, 1/2 of the westerns are about some of these Ponces & their inability to let the average person just live. TR was a wealthy elitist from New York City who made a terrible rancher when he bought his place in the Breaks & then went broke quickly.

The copper kings bought their own kingdoms, municipalities and even Senate Seats, back when you could be honest about your bribery.

We have the same situation today, regardless of being a non-profit or a wealthy elite who wants to be king of their own realm.

The hypocrisy between sides not wanting to acknowledge the same issues is pretty funny to me. Especially when we know that the billionaires are funding "save the cowboy" campaigns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back