Yeti GOBOX Collection

American Prairie Reserve - Nothing new

Recent acquisitions by APR have prompted me to do a little research into what is going on. I believe that it is the right thing to do, to share this information so that people can make up their own minds and not be “hood winked” by those who stand to gain and profit from these “land grabs”. We had millions of acres here in New Mexico bought up by similar organizations like APR, maybe they are some of the same people. Quite a bit of that acquired land here is not open to the public for hunting or fishing. This land is for the most part, tied up in reserves, preserves, whatever label you want to put on it. Most of this land has been set aside for eco-tourism. Private parks for the wealthy and the upper echelon. This is an example:

Vermejo Park Ranch - Turner Enterprises

www.tedturner.com

www.tedturner.com
This huge buy out of private land has done little for public hunting opportunity in the form of public draw hunts here in New Mexico. The APR effort in Montana appears to be no different in my opinion, but I think people should have factual and accurate information to figure it all out for themselves. These are the words of the head honcho at APR, Sean Gerrity:

”The next phase is simply to keep going. We have numerous properties in the pipeline right now, so it's simply raise funds, buy properties, go on to the next one. Ever-increasing effort to get people out there to enjoy it. We have a campground where you can stay for $10, and we'll open more of those, and we're opening a high-end safari lodge like they have in Africa. We want to make it a world-class reserve like people have never seen in North America.”

I have been called a liar and all sorts of other names for putting the truth out there on another thread. They put words in my mouth and pushed that I said things that I never did. I live in the middle of the open range that has deeded acres. Grazing rights are leased. The only fences are around the ranch yards to keep the cattle out. Yup they have cattle drives and cowboys on horses rounding up the herds and separating them by brands. The last time I fished Fort Peck, which has been years ago now, it was the same way as it is here. Our meager local economy is based on cattle and grazing is shared, it is as simple as that. Fort Peck used to be no different.

www.theguardian.com

'I want to restart the golden age of conservation' – ex Valley entrepreneur

Yale Environment 360: Former Silicon Valley entrepreneur Sean Gerrity is trying to turn a swath of northeastern Montana into a prairie reserve teeming with herds of bison
www.theguardian.com

www.theguardian.com

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/travel/08journeys.html

My objective is to get the truth about these organizations out to the hunting and fishing public. Mr Gerrity has stated that his goal is to have “high end safaris”. What that means is that he intends to cater to the wealthy. Now I was called a liar for that on another thread. Yet there his words are in an interview with a creditable news source. They also said I was full of conspiracy theories when Gerrity’s vision of APR by his own words, is a prairie with wolves, bison, and cougar. The ones that were given their 30 pieces of silver from these organizations are the liars. They are the ones with the hidden agendas.

They said I lied because APR allows hunting. They put words in my mouth because I was referring to the Nature Conservancy lands. But at the time I made that statement, APR didn’t have any hunting on their properties. Now years later, they give out some tags. How much hunting is actually allowed there is still a mystery though. APR is doing this and that is a fact jack: “we're opening a high-end safari lodge like they have in Africa. We want to make it a world-class reserve like people have never seen in North America.”

Ted Turner and Jane Fonda have bought up millions of acres of prairie in various states. In New Mexico one of their primary objectives was to save endangered species. For instance on Vermejo ranch, if you go to that link I provided, you will see that their effort is to help save the black footed ferret. Thier solution was to increase the population of prairie dogs. Yea, they allow limited hunting on their properties. Twenty thousand for an elk hunt and $65,000 for a sheep hunt. And of course you get to stay in a lodge with 400 dollar a bottle champagne and russian caviar.

“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.”
——Winston Churchill
Where'd ya go? If you're gonna troll it up and post and bunch of bs then at least stick around to defend it.

Dang, put down the shovel; you've dug a deep enough hole.

Example - You say you were referring to TNC lands as closed to hunting, not APR, as someone attributed to you. I know of many elk, deer, moose, and birds killed on TNC lands in Montana, including some I’ve killed myself. Credibility is hard to come by when you post incorrect statements, such as the statement that TNC does not allow hunting.

Point being, you started a thread and you posted on other threads, explaining how uninformed the masses of Hunt Talk are, how we are getting hoodwinked. You imply that you are here to show us the real truth, to show us how we are missing the real story. Yet, most of what you posted here and in the other APR thread is incorrect.

Many of the aliases you see in Hunt Talk are of people who do this stuff for a daily job. I would put the HT membership up against any forum, any blog, any user group when it comes to knowledge of public land, conservation, policy, and other issues essential for public land hunting. When it comes to those topics, Hunt Talk is not a good place to sling bullshit in hopes it’ll stick.

They also said I was full of conspiracy theories when Gerrity’s vision of APR by his own words, is a prairie with wolves, bison, and cougar.
You never did state why this is so evil and underhanded. Isn’t that what an intact native short grass prairie would include?

Recent acquisitions by APR have prompted me to do a little research into what is going on. I believe that it is the right thing to do, to share this information so that people can make up their own minds and not be “hood winked” by those who stand to gain and profit from these “land grabs”. We had millions of acres here in New Mexico bought up by similar organizations like APR, maybe they are some of the same people. Quite a bit of that acquired land here is not open to the public for hunting or fishing. This land is for the most part, tied up in reserves, preserves, whatever label you want to put on it. Most of this land has been set aside for eco-tourism. Private parks for the wealthy and the upper echelon. This is an example:

Vermejo Park Ranch - Turner Enterprises

www.tedturner.com

www.tedturner.com
This huge buy out of private land has done little for public hunting opportunity in the form of public draw hunts here in New Mexico. The APR effort in Montana appears to be no different in my opinion, but I think people should have factual and accurate information to figure it all out for themselves. These are the words of the head honcho at APR, Sean Gerrity:

”The next phase is simply to keep going. We have numerous properties in the pipeline right now, so it's simply raise funds, buy properties, go on to the next one. Ever-increasing effort to get people out there to enjoy it. We have a campground where you can stay for $10, and we'll open more of those, and we're opening a high-end safari lodge like they have in Africa. We want to make it a world-class reserve like people have never seen in North America.”

I have been called a liar and all sorts of other names for putting the truth out there on another thread. They put words in my mouth and pushed that I said things that I never did. I live in the middle of the open range that has deeded acres. Grazing rights are leased. The only fences are around the ranch yards to keep the cattle out. Yup they have cattle drives and cowboys on horses rounding up the herds and separating them by brands. The last time I fished Fort Peck, which has been years ago now, it was the same way as it is here. Our meager local economy is based on cattle and grazing is shared, it is as simple as that. Fort Peck used to be no different.

www.theguardian.com

'I want to restart the golden age of conservation' – ex Valley entrepreneur

Yale Environment 360: Former Silicon Valley entrepreneur Sean Gerrity is trying to turn a swath of northeastern Montana into a prairie reserve teeming with herds of bison
www.theguardian.com

www.theguardian.com

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/travel/08journeys.html

My objective is to get the truth about these organizations out to the hunting and fishing public. Mr Gerrity has stated that his goal is to have “high end safaris”. What that means is that he intends to cater to the wealthy. Now I was called a liar for that on another thread. Yet there his words are in an interview with a creditable news source. They also said I was full of conspiracy theories when Gerrity’s vision of APR by his own words, is a prairie with wolves, bison, and cougar. The ones that were given their 30 pieces of silver from these organizations are the liars. They are the ones with the hidden agendas.

They said I lied because APR allows hunting. They put words in my mouth because I was referring to the Nature Conservancy lands. But at the time I made that statement, APR didn’t have any hunting on their properties. Now years later, they give out some tags. How much hunting is actually allowed there is still a mystery though. APR is doing this and that is a fact jack: “we're opening a high-end safari lodge like they have in Africa. We want to make it a world-class reserve like people have never seen in North America.”

Ted Turner and Jane Fonda have bought up millions of acres of prairie in various states. In New Mexico one of their primary objectives was to save endangered species. For instance on Vermejo ranch, if you go to that link I provided, you will see that their effort is to help save the black footed ferret. Thier solution was to increase the population of prairie dogs. Yea, they allow limited hunting on their properties. Twenty thousand for an elk hunt and $65,000 for a sheep hunt. And of course you get to stay in a lodge with 400 dollar a bottle champagne and russian caviar.

“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.”
——Winston Churchill
You are really reaching now. This isn’t even an apples to cantaloupe comparison of organizations you are making. You mainly just seem to have an axe to grind about private landowners that prioritize conservation on their properties. I think that says more about you than them in this case.

But, if you are actually seeking first hand experience regarding APR…

APR has no tags to give. Tags are issued by FWP alone.

APR does, however, offer limited opportunities on a draw basis to hunt some of their very own, privately owned bison, if that’s what you’re getting at.

There are already wolves and cougars out there. Not sure why you see that as an APR issue.

How much hunting is allowed on APR land isn’t much of a mystery. Numerous large blocks are enrolled in Block Management. You could probably request the usage info from FWP. I hunt it every year. My friends and family hunt it every year. Numerous acquaintances hunt it every year. Joe Blow from California can hunt it every year if he wants to. All for free. Any time we want. Not so much as a phone call required. I have killed deer, elk, and birds on a bunch of it. Have killed coyotes on a bunch of the leased BLM. Have talked to lots of folks in the field who have been doing the same.

Several APR parcels I have personally hunted were either completely closed to hunting or only accessible for high dollar clients until APR bought them. Multiple people have shared their similar experience on this and other threads, yet you conveniently continue to ignore this because it doesn’t fit your narrative.

If you want to be suspicious of the organization or it’s mission, that’s certainly your prerogative. But willful ignorance of copious information that directly refutes your claims of conspiracy theories and boogeymen makes it clear you have nothing more than that axe to grind.

You’ve not yet answered the question many have posed about how APR is worse for hunters than other large private buyers who close off access and opportunity entirely? As it stands right now, hunters could have a lot worse folks buying land than APR. If they alter their operating procedures down the road, I will reserve the right to change my mind about them. But I think it’s ridiculous to attempt to vilify them for something they “might” do. They are no different than any other private landowner in having the right to manage their property as they see fit.

Methinks you just don’t like that dirty “conservation” word.

OP is just a green decoy plant from AP whose purpose is to post incorrect info on hunting websites knowing that conservationist minded hunters will come to their defense and be inspired to donate.

This is next level conspiracy.

Well played AP. Well played.

How much hunting is actually allowed there is still a mystery though.
First, they don’t give out tags. They allow access.

Can you point me to where they’re charging for access? Or are you just going to restate the fact they are going to do safaris and open a lodge?

Is a safari any different than a commission tour?

OP is just a green decoy plant from AP whose purpose is to post incorrect info on hunting websites knowing that conservationist minded hunters will come to their defense and be inspired to donate.

This is next level conspiracy.

Well played AP. Well played.
Wow, my humbly simple mind could not possibly go down the trails taken by yours! Your cognitive ability is remarkable ... yet somewhat scary. :D

First, they don’t give out tags. They allow access.

Can you point me to where they’re charging for access? Or are you just going to restate the fact they are going to do safaris and open a lodge?

Is a safari any different than a commission tour?
You know what AP charged my Dad to hunt this bull elk on a ranch they acquired, where 2 years prior my Dad had ZERO chance of ever hunting?

The charged exactly nothing, zip, notta, $0 they allowed a peasant to hunt their property for free, for any size bull elk he could find.

I can say that them allowing my Dad and I to experience that hunt together, with my Dad being 75 years old at the time, I'll always be in debt to AP for making that happen. I don't care if they don't allow hunting there again, I'll still donate to their program.

Thank you AP for allowing a Father/Son to enjoy your well managed property even though we have working man's wallets. The only reason I would wish for a thicker wallet is to make a healthier donation to AP every year.

IMG_20201031_113215763.jpg

IMG_20201029_143349925_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201030_121659620_HDR.jpg

I am sure folks will have plenty of fun with some of you info, but I will just touch on this one.

Since you brought this fact up, you must take issue. Appreciate if you could elaborate.
The reason why the black footed ferret is endangered is because they caught a virus from the PDs. When the PD population is too high, nature’s way is to first have the predators reduce the populations. Black footed Ferrets prey is primarily the PD. If the available predators cannot reduce the population enough for carrying capacity, then disease takes over to reduce the over population. Then the number of predators are reduced because their prey has been reduced. So, increasing the numbers of PDs is not the solution to the problem. But then no one is out there shooting those adorable, little, defenseless, prairie dogs now are they.

The reason why the black footed ferret is endangered is because they caught a virus from the PDs. When the PD population is too high, nature’s way is to first have the predators reduce the populations. Black footed Ferrets prey is primarily the PD. If the available predators cannot reduce the population enough for carrying capacity, then disease takes over to reduce the over population. Then the number of predators are reduced because their prey has been reduced. So, increasing the numbers of PDs is not the solution to the problem. But then no one is out there shooting those adorable, little, defenseless, prairie dogs now are they.
You really are something...mtmiller has forgotten more, on accident, about pdogs and ferrets than you have ever pretended to know on purpose.

If I were you I'd take Randy's advice and reread his posts. You aren't dealing with a bunch of idiots like the guy on the next bar stool.

You're in way over your pointed head...to say the least.

Hilarious.

When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

Fugging brilliant.
Yeah, no kidding. Ferrets primary food source is pdogs.

Lets kill off the ferrets primary food source to help ferrets.

How does that sound anything but brilliant?

I'm stunned that Gila can be this divorced from reality and so willfully ignorant. Its staggering...and truly unbelievable.

I've never seen anyone post such absolute nonsense, I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Miller’s been mansplained.

Back