Am I one of the bad ones?

TheHeadTurkey

Hello, I was reading through some of the forums about influxes of Texans traveling to north-western states, and I saw that a lot of westerners disliked Texans. I'm from Texas and I want to move to a north-western state when I'm older because I'm drawn to the public land opportunities that don't really exist here. What's so bad about that? Would yall consider me part of the problem? I don't feel like I'm the kind of hunter that belongs in Texas because some of the hunters I know disagree with me about public land/wildlife conservation, and the kind of hunting experiences I seek doesn't exist in Texas. I think I would like the outdoor experience in another state much better.

The Texan attitude where "everything is better in Texas" is the part that turns people off. I worked with a guy who always used to say "the way we did that in Texas is..." and it got old.

Texans and Californians are the whipping boys for all out of staters moving to the American Redoubt . Mainly because they come in with more money and raise prices because of increased demand. I think if you arrive in a new community and fit in, rather than think you are "better than all these local hicks" you will do just fine.

Welcome to the forum. Act like a guest as a NR hunter, you'll probably be treated like one. It is not mandatory to choose CO. NM is closer, WY is less crowded. Sounds like MT and ID are filling up, @ least that's the HT scuttlebutt.

We are conditioned by our experiences. If you move and learn what is local and accept it, you will fit in. If you spout even once -- that isn't how we did it in Texas-- you will be an outsider forever. Your goal should be to enjoy it - not fix it. If you run for the legislature within two years of moving -- you need to be shot.

Idaho is full, I see more Texas, California, Washington and Oregon plates everyday it seems like. Housing market is a mess but that seems to be the case in most states, public land hunting is getting tougher for sure but I still find animals. But in that same breath I can’t blame people for moving here? I would be fleeing any of those states as well. If you move to a new state, don’t be a dick, try and change politics and respect the local ways of life and you won’t have any issues.

As many have said, the attitude you arrive with will make a big difference, but don't mistake frustration for some sort of actual, well thought out opinion. No reasonable person thinks you're a big unwelcome jerk for being from Texas, they're just frustrated because they got to the party a little ahead of you and they're grieving what they see being lost as the population increases. It's no different here, or any other pretty, sparsely populated area. I feel it myself sometimes.

Anyone who lives in the mountain west and begrudges the folks moving there should:

1. Count how long their people have been there and perhaps re-assess the difference between a blip and a slightly longer blip (I'll carve out an exception for any native folks).

2. Advocate for policies that de-incentivize having lots of kids.

3. Advocate for well thought-out zoning and other regulations to prevent unchecked development in their areas (while understanding that without #2, that's just going to lead to out of control real estate prices...)

I have empathy for people's frustration, but not alot of patience for it in the absence of action towards good solutions.

Seems more like Americana as a whole.
Yeah, you’re probably right. But everyplace has one of those guys. In Montana, it seemed like every person wanted to tell you how to do something, or how not to do something. It seemed everyone was an engineer, a plumber, a landscaper, an electrician, despite lacking the qualifications for any of them. It was hard to find a real professional in the sea of makebeleive. I feel bad for general contractors. I should write a list for Californians and Texans on red flags to avoid when moving to Montana. Like when an entrepreneur is too lazy to set up a personalized voicemail for the business. If you get the generic “you have reached 406-xxx-xxxx…” run away as fast as possible.

Yeah, you’re probably right. But everyplace has one of those guys. In Montana, it seemed like every person wanted to tell you how to do something, or how not to do something. It seemed everyone was an engineer, a plumber, a landscaper, an electrician, despite lacking the qualifications for any of them. It was hard to find a real professional in the sea of makebeleive. I feel bad for general contractors. I should write a list for Californians and Texans on red flags to avoid when moving to Montana. Like when an entrepreneur is too lazy to set up a personalized voicemail for the business. If you get the generic “you have reached 406-xxx-xxxx…” run away as fast as possible.
I don't know where you came from. Yep, to use your example there are a lot of crapoy contractors. But, we don't need a list. It really is not that hard to navigate finding a good builder. Basing your choice on a phone voice-mail is a poor strategy. mtmuley

FFS, just sayin'...
51KXHWMIwYL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA103%2C445%2C290%2C400%2C400%2CAmazonEmberBold%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

I don't know where you came from. Yep, to use your example there are a lot of crapoy contractors. But, we don't need a list. It really is not that hard to navigate finding a good builder. Basing your choice on a phone voice-mail is a poor strategy. mtmuley
Word of mouth recommendation still goes a long way when finding someone reputable.

Sounds like someone who still uses the default message from Verizon.

I'll be perfectly honest.

I don't care where you come from, who you vote for, or how much we have in common. You are taking up space in my home state, and I don't like it.

When you move here and we talk face to face, I'll be polite, because I'm generally a nice person. You have every right to be here, and I can acknowledge that. I will also have other thoughts that I'll keep to myself.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back