Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Alone Season 8

I’d like to see a season that has survivalists with a dog, but then some jerk might consume the dog and that makes bad TV.

My favorite contestant so far still is Dave McIntyre in Season 2. That guy had years of experience surviving in austere conditions and could have owned it like a boss with confidence. Instead, almost every day we saw he acted challenged. That might be due to editing so as to make him appear out of his element. But that bastard had faith to maintain his emotional state and had to win. He drew upon past experience (like handlining crabs, plenty of us have done the same on coasts). He erected a good enough shelter and you know, guy still had reserve pemmican at the end! It was his conviction that he was there from divine will and had to do it because his life back home was in serious jeopardy.

I concur with you all about the probable winner this season. He looks great, no doubt. But after an expected 60+ days out there, it ain’t always the individual with the means to make it, but more frequently the will.

Clay is the real deal, and my money is still on him. it was fun talking to him at BHA and I look forward to Randy's podcast interview. I threw all my old reporter interview tricks at Clay but could not get him to crack any details. So I'm hooked with the rest of you. BTW you can stream it on Amazon Prime. Some of the rhetoric is silly ("Every moment we are out here we are being hunted [by griz or lion.]") I think Clay's weakest point is he is rail thin and has a hummingbird metabolism. Not the best in the starvation mode, especially in the cold. Clay's fishing rod was genius but so was the trotline in epsiode 2.

Another brown bear at 12ish yards.

Possible misidentification of plants (not good to eat poisonous plants!)

Significantly more substantial shelter/home construction progressing……the comparison to early season shelters is truly striking

Episode 3! Clay displayed emotional concerns. Doesn’t have to do this and has a terrific metabolism which doesn’t bode well for two months starvation. I don’t presume he’ll go much further.
Biko displayed mental fortitude, bad fishing and a necessity to do this as he’s got no job. He’s also 100lbs overweight. He’ll go farther.
Matt neglected his equipment and has previously shown little savvy or familiarization. He’s out.
We did not visit Theresa with her decent shelter and I’m hoping beyond reason she goes far.

……..and then there were 8.

Alone with your thoughts can be a rough place to dwell.

A friend told me about Rolands tango with the musk ox and then I came across this thread so I’ve had to go check it out. Im definitely a fan now. I watched season 7 over the course of a couple of days last week and it looks 1-6 will be where I waste my time over the upcoming weeks! I for one really really hope Clay takes the prize but I agree with some of the above posts, he seems too normal and sane, so without a deep driving need to win to force himself to needlessly endure through craze inducing suffering of the last month, I think he’ll tap. I think he’s 100% capable of doing it I just don’t think he will. I hope he finds his deer hunting honey hole soon, but living off grouse seems like a good plan too, I think @Big Fin would agree!

Episode 4! Oh my, three weeks in and thoughts have taken over for many.
Jordon did something many of us do to ignore emotions and got working! Does not ever end well.
Theresa has a sweet cellar hut with cot, but her emotions are creeping into control now. Damn, thought she could go farther.
Rose has created an emotional island because it’s always been that way in her life and she tells us how. Fish basket? What the hell, nobody ever caught anything with a fish basket.
Not missing anyone, Colter harnessed spectrum power and launched far out there. And that impossible bear story, no one would have believed him were it not filmed.

I think Colter has a real good shot of winning now with the option of fishing out of that dingy. The real test will come when the lake freezes over and he has to transition to ice fishing or some other source of food

*Season 5 Spoiler Alert*

By far my favorite was Sam in Season 5. He didn't have the skills that so many others had, but he still packed his bag and left his brand new baby and 2yr old son to go to Mongolia trying to take care of his family and improve the lives of his children.

He wanted it more than anybody else and was willing to lay in that sleeping bag alone until everybody else quit and went home.

Major props to a dad who went to the ends of the earth to provide a better life for his family.

I visited my in-laws in Clearfield PA a few weeks ago. Roland, the winner of season 7 is from that area so a lot of family friends know him. One even wrote a book about him.

They described Roland as “not housebroken.” :D

Btw, the podcast with Clay was great. I hope he does another one when it is over.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back