Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Almost time for Lysite...

SFC B

Last time I posted something on this it went a little sideways :hump: Buuuttt.....the time has come. Thanks to WY G&F and their licenses for disabled vet programs I will be on my way Friday for a long weekend of pronghorn hunting with my first ever buck tag. I am also lucky that I will be going with another disabled vet who is one of my best friends. I will be posting some pics and print once I leave the Springs Thursday (we will be leaving from his house in Ft Collins). I have only been through WY and it will be nice to put "boots on the ground" and chase some critters.

Good luck to you guys. There is an antelope on the wall in the Proud Cut Saloon in Cody that was taken in that area. It scored 87 according to the short-order cook that killed it.

Truth be told I will be happy with a good time and a shot at any buck. I am pretty serious about getting a rug made if possible

So here we go...Drove from the Springs to Wellington (my buddy's house) Thursday night after work itching for my only hunt of the year. The trip through Denver was surprisingly reasonable as opposed to the normal torture. Pull offed 25 and went straight to the McDs to get my McDouble. It is my one superstition when it comes to hunting. Since the first time I went out with him to elk/deer camp it has been that way and we are yet to be skunked. Good night of talking like kids before Christmas. Up early and on the way. We rolled into Casper about 1100, had some lunch and were given further instructions to head out to Lysite and rally at the fire house. Trip and weather out to there were beautiful. Everyone met up at the station, was put up in our quarters (some oil field trailers in really good condition) and then we were paired with our guides for the weekend. My guide was the owner of the Lysite store and a hell of a nice guy. We rode around in the side by side some that evening seeing the country and peeking at a few goats. The evening was topped off with a burger burn and copious amounts of beer at the station. Saturday morning popped early and we met at the store for breakfast. By 0700 we were out in the side by side and looking in earnest. Within the first couple of miles we caught a glimpse of a bruiser but he was quite a way off the road and making serious tracks for Nebraska :) A few more stops to glass and finally found one we wanted to try and make a sneak on him. He and the three girls he had with him had slowly fed over a small hill. We crept through the rocks slowly and quietly but the instant we peaked over the hill we were face to face with the lady of the house and she wasn't having any of it :/ Off they all went. Back to the Polaris and to another spot to glass. On the way we make a left turn and BAMM...right on the hill side was the character you will see in a few. We pull over, I go set up, get a sight picture and......he starts to walk. My guide gave a quick whistle. I was just enough of a pause for me to squeeze and end my season at 0730. Not a monster but I am very happy with him. We had him back at the store, skinned, quartered and in the cooler by 0900. A celebratory beer was had and then Kenny had the great idea of spending the rest of the day shooting p-dogs. I had never done that before and WOW what a blast. I was using his Ruger 204 M77 and reached out for a couple around 250 while popping the close ones as well. I am now in the market for another rig for this new hobby :) Saturday evening was a banquet @ the fire house, more beer and much celebrating as all 18 vets hunting had tagged out. What an incredible spread they put on for us on top of the hunt. Those Pokes in WY sure are some hospitable folks. Soo.....here are the pics!!!

Attachments

• GEDC1242.jpg
    GEDC1242.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 407
  • GEDC1243.jpg
    GEDC1243.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 409
  • GEDC1247.jpg
    GEDC1247.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 409
SFC B I noticed you didn't have to say which store he owned in Lysite, as I am pretty sure Lysite only has ONE store to its name. We have stopped in there on many family trips, headed out even further into the boonies on the south end of the Bighorn range.

Congratulations on your antelope, and a huge thumbs up to the folks who helped with the program.

Congrats on a great buck. Also, many thanks for your service to our country. May God richly bless you!

SFC B I noticed you didn't have to say which store he owned in Lysite, as I am pretty sure Lysite only has ONE store to its name. We have stopped in there on many family trips, headed out even further into the boonies on the south end of the Bighorn range.

Congratulations on your antelope, and a huge thumbs up to the folks who helped with the program.

Definitely just the one store. The old one closed and my guide (Kenny) just built the new one. He did a nice job and has a full service lunch counter/restaurant all day. Stop by and she him and his wife Liz :)

Fantastic, glad you had a good time. Looks like a nice goat. Congrats and thanks for your service.

No gas pump :) But they do have PLENTY of beer....priorities!!

Question of the day, would you rather run out of beer and still have gas, or run out of gas and still have beer? :confused:

Nice goat, antelope hunting is sure a hoot.

Back