Alaska for the paranoid

rwbowser

I will cut to the chase: I want to hunt Alaska but I’m afraid to because of the bush plane situation. I know the stats, planes are plenty safe, my dad was a Navy pilot and instructor and I’ve flown in 6 to 8 seat twins many times for Bahamas fishing trips. But...I have 3 very young kids and don’t like the idea of flying anything single engine until they’re grown. It’s just not a risk I’m willing to take. Any recommendations on how to make this happen? I live in Florida so driving is out of the question. I’m happy to hunt with an outfitter as I’m still learning and need all the help I can get. Thanks!

If you REALLY want to go after the bigger game in Alaska you will more than likely need to fly in somewhere. Single engine is the go-to plane up there for most outfitters unless going to a big base camp somewhere with multiple hunters. Not sure how much is available by river travel. It can be done without flying but the success rate goes way down.

As a really hard core hunter, flying down river valleys was one of the best parts of the trip. You've got plenty of time once your kids are older. Having said that, I bet lots of AK locals shoot moose every year without flying. Seems like prices are so high for everything maybe you couldn't afford to fly around all the time to hunt, but just guessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you REALLY want to go after the bigger game in Alaska you will more than likely need to fly in somewhere. Single engine is the go-to plane up there for most outfitters unless going to a big base camp somewhere with multiple hunters. Not sure how much is available by river travel. It can be done without flying but the success rate goes way down.
I’m happy to do the big base camp with several hunters and then going by truck, boat, ATV or horseback! Just avoiding the super cubs for the time being.

*nobushplanesyet
Truth! I’m interested in them, looks like a fun time, but not taking the risks until my kids are older. Thankfully I’m 41 and very healthy so I hope to have years to go after it once they’re out of the house.

Truth! I’m interested in them, looks like a fun time, but not taking the risks until my kids are older. Thankfully I’m 41 and very healthy so I hope to have years to go after it once they’re out of the house.
I completely get it.

What species are you after ?

I hunt Alaska every year and have yet to fly in a single engine plane. Last year I flew on Ravn and upon refueling in Dillingham we had to get off the plane because they discovered a hydraulic leak. Next day we were on the same plane.
You can hunt caribou on Adak via 737
I plan on hunting Kodiak next year for deer & duck.
The only reason I haven't flown a bush plane or float plane is the cost.

Last edited:
FWIW - A super cub can fly just about slower than a man can bicycle. A good pilot can put these things down almost anywhere. Just hope you don't get Foster Brooks as your pilot. ;)

Jokes aside. I would look at an Adak or Haul Road Caribou hunt. These are on my bucket list after I do SE AK next year.

What species are you after ?

I hunt Alaska every year and have yet to fly in a single engine plane. Last year I fly on Ravn and upon refueling in Dillingham we had to get off the plane because they discovered a hydraulic leak. Next day we were on the same plane.
You can hunt caribou on Adak via 737
I plan on hunting Kodiak next year for deer & duck.
The only reason I haven't flown a bush plane or float plane is the cost.
That’s great to know! Hopefully Ravn will reopen or someone will take their routes and planes. I’m interested in everything Alaska has to offer as I’ve only recently started hunting. Thanks for the info I’m going to check it out.

The biggest disadvantage, fear wise, with a float plane or bush plane is that you can see the pilot. When they start getting nervous, it's hard not to get scared. I've had a few scary float plane rides. That's not something Id like to ever do again.

The biggest disadvantage, fear wise, with a float plane or bush plane is that you can see the pilot. When they start getting nervous, it's hard not to get scared. I've had a few scary float plane rides. That's not something Id like to ever do again.
I appreciate your honesty there. I used to ride motorcycles and do lots of other things I probably shouldn’t have (!!) but these days with three little ones I’ve caught the fear—not really for myself but for my kids in the event something happens to me. Seeing a pilot white knuckled and sweating at an oncoming storm would give me a heart attack.

SE Alaska and Kodiak you can use a boat transporter to get to your hunting areas. You can camp on the boat every night.
That would be great. If you or anyone else reading this has a guide recommendation I’d love to hear it!

Without a bush flight don’t expect absolute solitude, but there is plenty of opportunity to hunt or fish without a bush flight.
Great, I’m looking for a guide who fits that bill. I even called WTA and was told in no uncertain terms if I’m not flying in a bush plane I absolutely cannot hunt Alaska. Probably just meant that WTA couldn’t sell me a hunt that didn’t involve a bush plane, so I’ll keep looking. Hoping for a recommendation if anyone know of a guide out there! Thanks.

Aleutian Outfitters on Adak guided for Donny Vincent's latest film "Winds of Adak" Fly there from Anchorage on a 737 and then motor around the island. Cory Herendeen is the outfitter.

Decades ago I would fly inter Island Hawaii on a single engine that would fly low taking the scenic route. Along the coast of the Big Island Hilo side we hit a powerful wind shear between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa that sent the plane into a nose dive and the pilot struggled with all his might to pull out of it. When we landed I saw him in the restroom washing the sweat off his face. I asked him how concerned he was and he said "Very much so".

Back