Alaska for the paranoid

We flew on a two seater that was tiny while sheep hunting. A guide was flying out in high winds and the plane dropped form about a hundred feet down to ten feet in a matter of seconds. Somehow the plane started climbing again and the pilot and passenger made it to the airport. When I saw the passenger I asked him about it and he said the pilot told him to "lean forward" when the plane almost crashed.

Yea, I got some new respect for those little planes and pilots. That said, I will try not to fly anymore than needed.

You can hunt Bears, Blacktail in SE Alaska without having to fly in a bush plane ... many guides depart in vessels from the jetport town you flew into. There is also a few guides that you can hunt winter Mt Goats with that depsrt from jet port towns in vessels.

Look for Guides that work out of Ketchikan, Sitka, Wrangell, Petersburg or Juneau.

Just got back from Alaska. We took a single prop and landed on a glacier next to Denali. Also took a single prop float plane and landed on this remote slough. Do your research and go with a reputable company and you’ll be fine.

Just got back from Alaska. We took a single prop and landed on a glacier next to Denali. Also took a single prop float plane and landed on this remote slough. Do your research and go with a reputable company and you’ll be fine.

I've been on that glacier! Absolutely beautiful!

The single engine feature isn’t what will kill you flying in AK. Plenty of multi engine planes go down. Weather, midair collisions, and overloading the plane are far more dangerous than the lack of multiple engines. Look at the factors involved in the accidents up there, an extra engine probably wouldn’t have saved the day. Find a reputable outfit and have the time of your life. You are more at risk of being in a fatal accident driving to the airport down in Florida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back