Yeti GOBOX Collection

Best Bang For The $ Hunt Of A Lifetime?

Check this one out. Drop camp in Idaho, $3500 per per hunter. Skip to 8:30.
Drop camps are good though typically they keep the drop locations a distance from their main scouted areas - clients who pay the $ involved. I've had a few contacts operate great in the Bob via drop camp... Thanks for sharing.

Based on several Safari hunts by a hunt talk member who PM'd his info, I've been enjoying a conversation with a great (and patient) family operation in South Africa, outskirts of Port Elizabeth for a hunt w/ my hunt partner, myself, and my wife.

This will include two mountain days hunting and two ocean side (lower land) days along with two days safari photo tours.

Included is one euro mount (Impala is the general use for interest in size) prepared and shipped, airfare, tip (follow-up question), and unexpected expenses (taxes/fees, etc).

Edit added for a bit more detailed expense:
Hunt with guide aka:pH - Professional Hunter (2+1) $350 per day each - four days for hunt partner and I.
Observer / non-hunt days $180 per day - 6 days wife and two days for hunt partner and I.
Based on wide spectrum of specific price on game animals, from $300 - $2.5k, we've budgeted $1k each.
I'm biased towards Impala and Reedbuck (mountain or common - preference?) I believe hunt partner really enjoys the thought of a good tusked warthog as a euro mount and some other animal for the hunt. Overall, I believe it will boil down to what we see and the PH's opinion on shooter or not.
Approx $1-1.2k taxidermy and shipping one euro mount.
Safari photo tours at two seperate wildlife reserves $250 each.
Airfare Spokane (one example) - Port Elizabeth $1750 each.
Last evening stay in Port Elizabeth for next day flight $100 each.

For my wife and I, base was $8,100 and with tips and incidentals, we've rounded it to $10k.

My hunt partner is looking @ $5,950, rounded up to $7k.

This appear reasonable? I don't want to be suckered though hear it's a good outfit.

It's all inclusive and we plan to use their firearms.

Question for those who've experienced African hunting...

TIP:
I believe I read somewhere, average tip is 10%? I would have thought 15% and understand it should vary upon our experience though what do you view as the tip spread?

AMMO:
Ammo cost is part of our expense. No charge for the rifles. Is there a massive price difference between U.S. and African ammo? What should we expect, roughly?

Other incidentals?

Last edited:
Based on several Safari hunts by a hunt talk member who PM'd his info, I've been enjoying a conversation with a great (and patient) family operation in South Africa, outskirts of Port Elizabeth for a hunt w/ my hunt partner, myself, and my wife.

This will include two mountain days hunting and two ocean side (lower land) days along with two days safari photo tours.

Included is one euro mount (Impala is the general use for interest in size) prepared and shipped, airfare, tip (follow-up question), and unexpected expenses (taxes/fees, etc).

For my wife and I, base was $8,100 and with tips and incidentals, we've rounded it to $10k.

My hunt partner is looking @ $7k, also rounded up.

It's all inclusive and we plan to use their firearms.

Question for those who've experienced African hunting...

TIP:
I believe I read somewhere, average tip is 10%? I would have thought 15% and understand it should vary upon our experience though what do you view as the tip spread?

AMMO:
Ammo cost is part of our expense. No charge for the rifles. Is there a massive price difference between U.S. and African ammo? What should we expect, roughly?

Other incidentals?
Good for you, Africa is on my radar. My wife is a school teacher, so it's a trip we could do in the Summer. She saved some personal days last year so we could make a duck hunting trip to Mexico work this February.
Good luck with your trip.

I haven’t read all the suggestions but the Africa safari auctioned off at the Mule Deer Foundation banquet was a very good deal I thought, and supported the effort. Was very tempted.

What is considered the tip spread for African hunts?

Also, speaking for South Africa, what taxes / fees, incidentals should we anticipate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back