Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Best Bang For The $ Hunt Of A Lifetime?

After Randy's Tongass first episode (2015?) - my eyes opened to the idea of an Alaska bear/wolf hunt. I'd imagine many eyes opened to this and other AK self guided, boat access, on your own adventures.

Appreciate all the great posts and PM's! I've heard horror hunt stories of logistically working too much in with too little $$. I don't want to play that dance card.

Questions:

What does it mean when a service notes the following for international hunt auctions?
"Included: 5 Days of 2:1 guided hunting, 6 Nights’ accommodations, gourmet meals along with wine and/or beer, laundry service, Wi-Fi, and the trophy fees for 1 Blackbuck and 1 Patagonic Ram (1 per Hunter) 0r $2,000 in trophy fee credits ($1,000 per hunter)"?

"Several bid items have undisclosed reserve amounts. The seller or its designee reserves the right to bid up to, but not over, the undisclosed reserve amount."
This mean the actual outfitting service may bid up to an undisclosed value? I'd imagine to ensure an auction does not undercut the cost of operations?

What is the difference between a "cull hunt" and a normal hunt? They appear close to the same price. I understand the basis of a cull hunt for conservation #'s... though do they retain the animal for cull or are you able to euro mount ship? ( @OntarioHunter , fantastic looking euro!)

Last edited:
After Randy's Tongass first episode (2015?) - my eyes opened to the idea of an Alaska bear/wolf hunt. I'd imagine many eyes opened to this and other AK self guided, boat access, on your own adventures.

Appreciate all the great posts and PM's! I've heard horror hunt stories of logistically working too much in with too little $$. I don't want to play that dance card.

Questions:

What does it mean when a service notes the following for international hunt auctions?
"Included: 5 Days of 2:1 guided hunting, 6 Nights’ accommodations, gourmet meals along with wine and/or beer, laundry service, Wi-Fi, and the trophy fees for 1 Blackbuck and 1 Patagonic Ram (1 per Hunter) 0r $2,000 in trophy fee credits ($1,000 per hunter)"?

"Several bid items have undisclosed reserve amounts. The seller or its designee reserves the right to bid up to, but not over, the undisclosed reserve amount."
This mean the actual outfitting service may bid up to an undisclosed value? I'd imagine to ensure an auction does not undercut the cost of operations?
There’s a reserve you can’t see. If the high bid (let’s say yours) is below the hidden reserve, the outfitter will “outbid” you and the hunt will essentially go unsold.

You might be able to find a crappy outfitter in SE Montana. The quality ones by the time you figure in all expenses are going to cost lots more that 10K
Drive around in a 90's model Suburban and listen to highly inflated stories for five days and get to shoot a 150 inch three year old buck from the hood of the Suburban. Hunt of a lifetime.

Good luck Sytes, I hope you find a true hunt of a lifetime.
Haha. I’ve got MT covered. I was referring to the Sitka blacktail hunt.

This hunt was on my bucket list. My neighbor just returned from Kodiak. Six hunters saw 4 deer total. This guy has been there five times. They hunt from and stay on a boat. Apparently the winter kill was terrible.
I was on Kodiak in March last spring hunting goats. Hardly any snow. They had one of the easiest winters in a long time. We saw lots of deer.

Questions:

What is the difference between a "cull hunt" and a normal hunt? They appear close to the same price. I understand the basis of a cull hunt for conservation #'s... though do they retain the animal for cull or are you able to euro mount ship? ( @OntarioHunter , fantastic looking euro!)
I'm just guessing here but I suspect trophy fee credits mean you can choose to not hunt those two species and instead apply the trophy fee for them to other animals (stag or puma possibly).

Cull hunts are typically for females or males that are undesirable for breeding or trophy hunting (broken or defective horns). Typically there is no "trophy fee" or if there is it's dirt cheap. Depending on the situation and species you may be charged a reduced trophy fee if you elect to keep the trophy.
20231023_225011.jpg
There's another kudu and gemsbuck upstairs in the taxidermy business showroom.

The two hunts for two that I'd call the hunts of a lifetime that we've done under $10k, all inclusive of travel, guide, rental cars, luggage fees, etc. were Hawaii axis deer/goat/hog and Newfoundland moose and bear

Here's a deal. Looks like you could easily meet your budget. Seeing a waterbuck thrown in that deal was surprising. A good one can run over $2K trophy fee. I know nothing about this outfitter so not a recommendation. This is not an unusual price for a beginner package.

Africa is the best bang for the buck. I'm an accountant and by the age of 30 I've gone twice and it's extremely doable. Yi
Our price of 10K total might not be doable for the length I'd suggest going for to make the 24+ hours of travel each way worth it. If you have any questions I'd gladly answer them.

$10,000! Are you serious? And for 2 guys? LOLOLOLOL. 5 grand a hunter is peanuts now; chump change. You can thank the guys in Washington for that, and the American people that wanted it. It's unfortunate, but reality

$10,000! Are you serious? And for 2 guys? LOLOLOLOL. 5 grand a hunter is peanuts now; chump change. You can thank the guys in Washington for that, and the American people that wanted it. It's unfortunate, but reality
I get it, if looking for the unlimited funding lifetime.

Our norm does not take us out of Montana. Rocky Mountain states are a bit spoiled. Many here travel out to other States. To us, my hunt partner and I, we see our days ticking based on injuries and age so we want to break our of our norm and do "lifetime" adventures that had we not, we'd never experience.

We both argue over who hunts. I want him to knock an Impala or Stag... And vise versa. It's the adventure and both claim we would enjoy the hunt just as much as the hunter taking pictures.

What I do know, we'll make $10k work one way or the other. Some great opportunities have been shared and reality, budget/time limited.
I forgot Randy's quote though something about health running out hunt while you can.

Great outfitter referrals, etc. we'll make it happen.

Appreciate everyone's input pm and posts here. Invaluable and looking forward to it. We'll take you along for boom or bust though great memories.

That would be hard to do now with a quality hunt up there all expenses included. When we did it our guide alone was 5900 in 2017 or so.
We managed a moose and a bear for $9125 in 2019 in Newfoundland door-to-door. If you are honest when you add up all the expenses, it'd be impossible to do two moose for under $10k in 2024. Closer to $15-18k is more realistic, but I guess I could imagine it sqeaking in around $12k if you keep the belt super tight

As far as the Kodiak deer scene goes, its gotten very expensive. I just returned from there (as did @Bluffgruff to which he can chime in as well) and a boat for the week is roughly 7k from all the guys I interviewed. I don't think two guys can do under 10k, it would be close. There was a lot of deer but very few mature bucks it seemed. I think maybe the popularity of these hunts and guys shooting three mature bucks each over the last few years may have taken its toll.

We managed a moose and a bear for $9125 in 2019 in Newfoundland door-to-door. If you are honest when you add up all the expenses, it'd be impossible to do two moose for under $10k in 2024. Closer to $15-18k is more realistic, but I guess I could imagine it sqeaking in around $12k if you keep the belt super tight
I suppose you could do a road based hunt much cheaper if size of the animal didn't matter. A fly out hunt is going to be significantly higher with better odds of a big bull. Now if you're interested in jumbo bear @Sytes you may be able to get that for around your range in Newfoundland.
I'd consider a hunt to Hawaii you can take a pile of axis, mouflon, and Spanish goats for that price. Maybe even throw in Turkey or something if timing is right.

Well this late in life I figure this little NM ranch is it. LOL
$120k is pricey for a hunt.
But how much is 15 elk hunts? Everyday million dollar views. A draw tag waiting for next week.

A bison hunt was my dream.
Now I know a guy and have bison in the freezer.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back