Alaska Caribou

Brittany Chukarman

This was a 1990 drop off hunt for Barren Ground caribou in the area of the Mulchatna herd. Flew out of Soldotna through the incredible Lake Clark pass and a couple hours more out into the bush. I've never hunted in a place that had so many ways to kill you. I never felt so insignificant in the grand scheme of things as I did out there. I didn't see the huge herds but there were plenty of bands of caribou moving through some days. Some days there were none. Packing meat on tundra was an experience and trying to step from hummock to hummock with a full pack ended up with a cold dunking. I quickly learned which shades of green to avoid. Taking the long way around to stay on high ground was the way to go.. Winter hit early that year and the game department issued a bulletin for the transporters to get their hunters out of the higher camps. My camp wasn't considered high so the plane didn't show up for several days and it did get cold. When the plane came the lake was froze and he had to wait until later in the day to land. Incredible adventure.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_20160306_0001.jpg
    1-IMG_20160306_0001.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,023
Great looking caribou! Sounds like a great adventure.

Wow, beautiful bull.

Ever have the desire to go back?

Sounds like a great adventure! Did you go solo?

No John, this was my payback trip to my dad for all effort he put into taking me hunting and fishing when I was a kid. He was 63 at the time we went and got a nice bull also.

Randy 11, I always wanted to go back for a moose but waited to long. I was always intimidated by their size and being able to handle one.

No John, this was my payback trip to my dad for all effort he put into taking me hunting and fishing when I was a kid. He was 63 at the time we went and got a nice bull also.

Randy 11, I always wanted to go back for a moose but waited to long. I was always intimidated by their size and being able to handle one.

Great bull Gary! That would have been a wonderful trip to share with your dad, especially with both of you getting bulls. I am trying to put together a trip like that for '18 if I can talk the wife into it.

Too late? You haven't taken up a new career as a daisy pusher have you? :)

Heck of a bou and incredible adventure. My drop camp hunt out of Kotzebue ended up with an unfilled tag. However, the beauty of that place was worth the price of admission. Looking forward to part 2! Good huntin'

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back