Caribou Gear

Alaska Black Bear - The plan has started

Thanks we will! Just got the rest of the fishing supplies wrapped up.....net is the only thing I haven't figured out how to get up to AK and then to our destination. Any last minute ideas? If we get a bear right away I could cut a chunk out of the hide, cut little slits all through it, and tie it to a stick! I'm sure that will be a popular move. I'm with bigfin on the preparation, overwhelmed with packing, as I haven't started yet.

Forget the net, take heavier tackle...

I agree. I told him I want to catch stuff so big that you need to shoot it before you bring it on board a 14' skiff.

But then I would be fishing with a "pole" and not a "rod." I only own "poles," so that would not bother me.

Now Photofin, he is more refined in his pursuit of piscatoral pleasure, and he would be the owner of many fine "rods."

"Rods" are for guys who like to catch those spotted river carp. "Poles" are for guys who like to eat what they catch, and I gladly fall into that category.

When should we expect a follow-up post after the hunt??

(approx. date?)

...So we all dont panic and send out a search party to your location permaturely??

Moe:cool:

I'd gladly bring heavier tackle, only the guy I'm traveling with informed of a major weight restriction on the flight in there, I had no choice but to take rods over poles. I'd gladly bring lead weights, worms, and 3-40 packs of pbr and make this a vacation...and I wanted to focus on catching fish...not a buzz...so I opted for rods. I'll stop talking smack until we get back, because if we don't catch anything I'll sound like an idiot. Will be fun no matter what happens.....Moe you should hear from us by May 12th....that is if the hunting and fishing go as planned!

You are renting a skiff.. no??

Call them up, ask them for a net.

BF- Looking forward to how the Westcomb stuff works. It looks top shelf and have heard/read good reviews, but mostly from climbers/skiiers. I'll be interested in what you think of it for hunting.

A couple guys have asked who I am using for a transporter and skiff rental.

Flying in on a Beaver from Pacific Wing Air Charters, out of Petersburg. Cole will be the pilot. You can reach them at (907) 772-4258. If we come back safe, I will say that their fees seem very reasonable and will recommend their service. If we crash, I guess reasonable fees won't mean much.

The skiff rental is with Gary Adkison, onwer of Hollis Bay Cabins. His phone number is (907) 209-1575. He is delivering the skiff, 60 gallons of gas, 50# salt, life jackets, ice, coolers, and marine radio. He will pick up the boat and credit us back for any unused fuel.

He provides lodging to a lot of non-guided bear hunters with his Hollis Bay Cabin business. If you are interested in Prince of Wales hunting or fishing, he would be worth a call.

Just finished with the dehydrated meals, cutting four inches off the handle off Photofin's custom trout net, buying some spare minutes for the sat phone plan, arranging with Alaska Air to allow me to take this pile of gear without chartering a separate plane, and now realize I have lost my Havalon knife while cleaning out my Mystery Ranch packs over the weekend. Either that, or a friend put it in his pocket while he was admiring it.

I was curious, so I stopped at the local shop and shouldered the Kimber 84M, gotta say it's pretty darn nice! Probably wouldn't be liked by tall folks, as it is a bit short, but it is also amazingly light.
The price tag kept me from bringing it home, but it wasn't too steep to keep it off the 'want' list.
Good luck on the trip fellas!

Landed in Petersburg a few hours ago. As in typical SE AK fashion, it has rained pretty much since we got here. Just got my bear tag, hunting license, and 7 day fishing license, Getting everything packed and organized to get flown out to the cabin at high tide tomorrow afternoon.

Funny to listen to locals when I tell them where we are going. The response is something like, "Why would you go that far and put in that much effort to shoot a black bear, when there are so many nearby?"

Already has two people ask if they could have the meat if I didn't want the hassle involved to take it home on the plane. Spring bear seems to be much desired around here.

I am on a protein restricted diet, but I just had the best fresh "Halibut cheek sandwich" of my adult life. Fresh local fish is hard to beat.

I eat halibut for just about every meal in civilization when I'm in Alaska.

Good luck...I'm sure you'll have a hoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back