Caribou Gear

Alaska Black Bear - The plan has started

Man Randy. It's 5am I'm getting ready to go to work you still no Day 6 and 7. What are you waiting on??? Who needs sleep anyway? ;) I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Day 6 - The last full day

Sorry for the delays. I got home at 1:30 am, slept in a little, and then came to the office to fight the towering infernos that have ignited in my absence. Those are now smoldering embers, so I will try to finish this saga.

May 8th - This is the last full day to hunt. The big pontoon bird is scheduled to pick us up at 9:00am tomorrow morning. The time to shoot bear is here, and NOW!

As planned, we got up early and glassed the big flats to the south and west of the cabin. Troy even took the extra measures to climb the cabin and sit atop the A-frame and get a better view. Glad he is an independent contractor and I don't have to cover him with workers compensation.

IMG_5192.JPG

Nothing was stirring nearby, so we hustled to the skiff and headed out to the channel, catching the incoming tide that was now slack and allowing us to navigate the rocky narrows with ease. We headed north, with the plan of going all the way to Kake, if need be.

Once we cleared the worst of the rocks, the high tide allowed us to cruise much closer to the beaches and look back into every little cove. Our path covered many, many miles. We had brought 15 gallons of fuel, knowing this was an all-day event, and the little 25hp Yamaha was going to earn its keep today.

On our way up, we mostly glassed the west shore, the Kuiu shore, as the rising sun was clearing the shadows on that shore, making all things very visible. The morning was completely clear, without a cloud in sight. Amazing for SE AK.

We continued our path to the stretch where we had seen two bears earlier in the week. There, we cut the motor and drifted with the wind as we glassed every little nook. The bears we had seen early were either napping, or just hiding pretty damn well.

For four hours, we continued at this very slow pace, then backtracking and revisiting the best looking places. By noon, we had covered lots and lots of coastline, but had seen no bears. Bummer.

So, we continued further north than we had previously traveled. More looking and glassing. We then went east and scoured the Kupreanof shore and repeated the same process.

By 5:00pm, we had covered everything from the entrance of Keku Straits, to Horseshoe Island, on both shorelines. The clouds were gathering and the wind growing, so we decided to put into a big bay and glass from a small island. And, eat the four hundredth PBJ of the trip.

Within an hour, the rain finished and the wind died down. We figured we had about a three-hour trip back south to the cabin, if we went at the pace needed to properly inspect these back bays.

I wish I could tell you that in our evening troll back to the cabin, we spotted a ton of bears. But, that would be a ton more than we really saw. Where they had all went, someone probably knows, but that someone is not me.

We arrived at the cabin with about an hour of light left. We hiked to the highest spot (all of about 10' in elevation gain) that allowed us to look into the back edges of some tide flats.

As darkness arrived, I realized that barring some morning miracle, I would not be filling my bear tag.

I had come to a wild place and had a fantastic hunt. I had worked harder at this bear hunt than I have in most other hunts. My only regret is that the two dimensions of video do not do justice to the beauty, the sounds, the smells, and the adventure that such a hunt provides.

For a moment, I had the regrets of passing on the younger bear and not pursuing some of the other bears with greater vigor, but quickly realized that I do not produce TV for the sake of having to kill something. When it gets to that point, I will turn off the cameras.

I would suggest anyone who has a desire to see truly wild places and the vastness of Alaska, do something like this hunt. If you can, go a little later, knowing you might see more people, but probably see more bears.

The next morning we woke and glassed/hunted the nearby tide flats, seeing nothing but more bear scat and tracks. We knew we had to pack up quickly, as the plane was on its way.

As scheduled, Cole landed the Beaver in the bay and taxied to where we had our gear stored and waiting. In short order we were skimming the surface and lifting off the waters of Keku Straits.

He banked over the tide flats we had hunted a mere two hours ago and there was a black object standing just outside the edge of the timber, grazing on some green grass. I had to laugh ...... that is how it goes sometimes.

Sometimes you hunt and you get an animal you really didn't deserve. Sometimes you hunt very hard, but have nothing to show for your efforts, as far as shooting something. But most often, the most challenging hunts are the most rewarding, and this hunt falls into this category.

Not sure what more we could have done. Probably couldn't have had much more fun, short of shooting a huge bear, or me catching a gunnysack full of steelhead.

Alaska is a great place. The greatest of all places I have hunted. It is so "doable" by anyone who wants to invest some extra work for extraordinary days afield.

I will be back. When the time comes, I plan to book this same cabin in late May of next year. I may or may not have cameras with me this time. It might just be a time for hunting and fishing with family/friends. I would love to see Troy land one of those steelhead. I would love to shoot the bear making the huge tracks along the creek banks. I will chalk this hunt up to an investment in making that happen next time. With next time being sooner, rather than later.

Thanks to all who helped, and there are many. Thanks to Troy, who is not only one of the best friends you could ask for, but the best camera guy in the world of hunting TV. Thanks to Alaska for being such a great place .... a place where hunters can go and live out their dreams.

Regardless of not shooting a bear, I think this will be one of the best episodes we have ever filmed. Thanks for tagging along for the ride.

IMG_5165.JPG

Tomorrow I will post more pics, and report on some of the new gear we used, most of which will be permanent fixtures in my pack and on my hunting gear checklist.

Sounds like a great time Fin, can't wait for the rest of the pictures.

Forgot how much fun it was to tag along with you through these. Feels like hunting season again!

Last edited:
Great pics and story. Looking forward to watching it on film. If you need a body for next year, let me know. I don't weigh much.:D

Really enjoyed the play by play writeups. Bummer "no joy" with respect to the Bear hunt - though you sure as heck keep the meaning behind a true hunter - alive with passion! Great to have someone of your caliber becoming the face of true hunters!

Sounds like a pretty good week Randy, I'll be looking forward to some additional pictures and footage.

Congrats on a successful hunt Fin. You do have a way with words. Even though you didn't harvest I am wanting to do that trip even more than ever.

I'm sure that first plate of home cooking was the best ever...

Awesome write-up! Friend of mine went 2 years ago with his daughter to Thorn Bay and had a great time, caught a lot of fish, but no bear. Even with a perfect plan and in a completely familiar place - things still have to line up. That's hunting. Nice work.. Sounds like a great trip!

Thanks for the great story. we've all been there on not filling our tags but it sounded like you had a great time.

Great pictures and even greater story. Congrats on a successful hunt. I like your attitude of not having to harvest an animal to have a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.

If the show is half as good as this story you laid out for us, it will be the show of the year!!!

Thanks for taking the time to let us live it through you.

He's still got five weeks down there. Bear season's just beginning!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back