Caribou Gear Tarp

Alaska Black Bear – Part III

Congratulations on a great bear Randy! Your persistence and patience definitely paid off. I can't wait to that episode on television.

Looks like you got it over the line against a few obstacles Big Fin. Well done to the crew and it certainly is a tag worthy bear!

Nice! All the way around, good trip, good hunt, good bear. Looking at the pictures, it looks like that bear is just napping in your boat. Then I got to thinking, what if it woke up in the middle of the bay!

Well written as well.

Congratulations Randy, thats an awesome bear. What do you plan to do with the hide? I hope you consider either a full or half body mount, they will show those white markings very well.

Congratulations Randy, that's an awesome bear. What do you plan to do with the hide? I hope you consider either a full or half body mount, they will show those white markings very well.

Getting the hide tanned and the skull euro'd. Space in the Randy Room is getting crammed, especially for a half or full body mount. If ever there was a hide to do a body mount with, this is it.

But, as you have heard Mrs. Fin say, "In your family, that might be art, but in my family, it's just another dead animal." :eek:

Randy what did ADFG measure the skull out to wondering looks like a big skull to me? I am gonna take a wild stab and say 19 1/2ish maybe better if he isn't a meat head...:)

Randy what did ADFG measure the skull out to wondering looks like a big skull to me? I am gonna take a wild stab and say 19 1/2ish maybe better if he isn't a meat head...:)

Funny you say that. And, great estimate.

It ended up at 19 12/16. Couldn't squeeze another quarter inch out of it to break that magical 20" mark. She said it was a wide skull, relative to the length. He was a meat head, for sure.

I talked to some guys there and they stated that bears get longer heads as they get older. Not sure if that is true of not. I looked at a ton of pics of B&C bears out on the Trophy Search data base. No doubt, the high scoring ones have really long noses, and obviously wide noggins to score as well as some of them do.

When I get the hide back from being tanned, I will take some pics. It is a record class hide; no rubs, so lush and glossy black, and very long/wide.

More reason to try draw the tag again for 2015 (didn't draw for 2014 :(). Offered this hunt to a first choice guy who was going to be busy, so he elected not to apply with me for this year. Then offered to an alternate, and he was busy. Might start getting a complex about what a pain I must be to hang out with, given I can't even bribe people with an all expense paid black bear hunt to a remote corner of Alaska.

Convinced one of them to apply for the 2014 hunt with me, and then we didn't draw. The guy has Schleprock kind of luck.

Great story and bear as well. Don't know why anybody would not do their best to make time to hunt with you. They must of had some really good reasons to pass on a adventure like this. Now take your wife fishing and start getting ready for this fall.

That is a great bear no doubt about that. The hides up there are the real trophy. The bear I took was just unreal I swear you could take your hand and place a flat hand on the hide and the hair was over your wrist unreal and not a rub anywhere must be the kelp and crab diet:confused: LOL
My taxi also said he had never seen claws on a black bear like those up there. 19 12/16 is a huge bear in my book he has some age to him.

Last edited:
Back