Alaska Black Bear – Part III

Might start getting a complex about what a pain I must be to hang out with, given I can't even bribe people with an all expense paid black bear hunt to a remote corner of Alaska.

Fin, my email address is... I would make the time for a hunt like this! congrats again on a great bear!

What is the draw cycle for AK? I thought apps were due Dec-ish, is spring bear on year in advance?

Yeah, it is way in advance, as the season actually starts September 1 and runs until June 30 (?). So, the tag for 2014 starts in fall 2013, which had an application date of December 2012.

So, when I apply this coming December, it is for the season of 09/01/14 to 06/30/15.

Not sure how we didn't draw this year. Hell, there were lots of left over tags the first year they put it on a draw. Oh well, I guess that is why I will draw a bighorn tag in MT this year, gotta use my luck somewhere.

Well done Randy. I can't believe Melon Head didn't make 20". His ears were so far down the side of his head he looked like Shrek!

Feel free to pencil me in as a willing oarsman next year! ;)

I think that bear is bigger than every bear I've seen in MT this year combined.

Congrats Randy, that's a great specimen. Any idea on what you're doing with it taxidermy wise?

Great Stuff!

Awesome stuff Big Fin. I hunted out of Valdez the same week as you, just arrived a few days later thanks to cancelled flights. We saw 8 bears, but had 4 feet of snow to contend with lining most of the shorelines. All of the bears we saw were at the junction of fresh water streams/waterfalls and the ocean, aside from two on tidal flats, and they only stayed out in short 30 second to two minute intervals. One of my hunting partners did miss a decent bear, but most of the bears we saw were in the 5-5.5' range, aside from one 6'er that we had no way of getting to. We did see about 20 mountain goats and 10 humpback whales along with a pretty neat rookery of sea lions. Conditions just weren't right until the last couple days and the bears started to move. The grass literally greened while we were there. Late spring in the area according to the locals. Looking forward to try it again next year if I can get the right hunting partners. This was my first year and we learned a few tricks along the way for the future. Regardless of the bears, spending 5 days in Alaska beats work. :p

Bad news today. Found out that the plane that flew us in/out to our bear camp, crashed on Tuesday. Not too many details of what happened, but one person was killed and a couple seriously injured. When you think about what that must have been like it is amazing all did not sustain major injuries, or worse.

Adam was our pilot on the way out. He seemed like a great guy. Had lived in Montana for many years and spent most as a private pilot flying personal jets for the rich and famous. I am sure he feels terrible about what happened.

Hate to see that kind of news. Curious to learn of the cause.

Link to the story - http://www.adn.com/2013/06/04/2927414/coast-guard-1-dead-in-se-alaska.html

Adam, manning the controls and posing for the camera.
IMG_0898.JPG

Probably my last flight in this old bird. I asked when it was built; answer - 1954.
IMG_0882.JPG

Great bear! Wife and I were up there at the same time taking a cruise and land tour. Maybe someday I'll go back with a rifle... Looking forward to the show so I can say I was in Alaska at the same time.

Tonight, on Sportsman Channel, are the final prime time airing for this season. The final episode is this Alaska black bear hunt. Air times are 8pm and 11pm (Eastern).

Investigating a plan to go and hunt a different area this spring, given there are a few left over self-guided permits in some of the marginal areas.

I hope you get to watch this and it gives you some ideas to add this amazing hunt to your "Gotta do it soon" list.

Beautiful bruin! Love the white on his chest. Hoping to draw POW Island for this fall. IMO the greatest critter on the planet. Congrats!

Tonight, on Sportsman Channel, are the final prime time airing for this season. The final episode is this Alaska black bear hunt. Air times are 8pm and 11pm (Eastern).

Investigating a plan to go and hunt a different area this spring, given there are a few left over self-guided permits in some of the marginal areas.

I hope you get to watch this and it gives you some ideas to add this amazing hunt to your "Gotta do it soon" list.

Maybe a different state.....:D just kidding.... can you get a better area every other year with a preference/bonus point? or do they not have them?
Matt

.....can you get a better area every other year with a preference/bonus point? or do they not have them?
Matt

AK doesn't have a point system. So, us self-guided dudes have to apply each year for black bear in SE Alaska, with past drawing success or failure having no influence on the current year odds. Guided hunters get tags over the counter in these same units where we have to draw.

AK doesn't have a point system. So, us self-guided dudes have to apply each year for black bear in SE Alaska, with past drawing success or failure having no influence on the current year odds. Guided hunters get tags over the counter in these same units where we have to draw.

I see, well good luck on the investigation of a different area.... ya know Idaho has black bears also....:D
Matt

For those of you who are getting spring black bear fever from this ridiculously warm weather, her is a video of this hunt to make the fever a little worse.

https://youtu.be/I_GwEhd3Eww

IMG_0959.JPG

Can't wait to be back there in another 70 days.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back