NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Africa Hunting list

1.Kudu
2.big impala
3.bushbuck

The rest would just be gravy, but that is my list in order. My 12 year old daughter is going also so anything she takes goes to the front of the list.

Nothing really set in stone for next year. I figure on getting out there, and what ever we run into we run into, if its an exceptional animal I'll take it, other wise... I'd rather keep looking.

If I had to pick a few that you'll likely see pictures of in a few months however they'd likely be...

Impala
warthog
one of the spiral horns and or possibly a waterbuck.

I think the wife wants to cap a zebra for a rug as well. So I'm guessing 3-4 animals in 8 days of hunting.

We're more intersted in having fun and enjoying the time in the field. My dad and good friend are going along so I'll talk them into shooting all the animals. :)

Are ya talking "things" to take or "critters" to get?

As far as things: Everyone over-packs. They have daily laundry so in my opinion you could take 2 of everything and be fine for a month (2 pants, 2 shirts, etc-1 to wear and 1 being washed).

We went in July and the temps ranged from 32 F at night to 75 F during the hot time. It was perfect. It is also the dry season so no clouds.

-hunting clothes for 2 days
-sweats
-1 set "regular" clothes
-comfortable camp shoes (get some mocs-also a must for the plane ride so you can slip your shoes off mid flight)
-shoelaces (tough to find in the African bush)
-camera/batteries
-sunglasses
-jacket
-hat/warm hat for the morning rides
-small pack
-cigarettes
-candy
The tracker we had absolutely loved our trail mix. Couldn't get enough of it. We gave him a bunch when we left. Also, everyone over there smokes and they like the american cigs. Its a good tip for the trackers (along with $$) and there are plenty of skinners and other folks who would love a pack of smokes.

As far as animals
-Kudu
-gemsbok
-impala
-black wildebeest
-sable antelope
-nyala
-whatever else you can afford

AHHHHH yes Gemsbok!!!!!

099.JPG

HAHA.. I was talking cloths, Gun, Etc. But I don't have my Animla Shopping list done yet either :D

I do have Stretchy pants already though !!

Yep - clothes for 2 days. Comfortable clothes for evenings, though I rarely changed anything except my shoes in the evening. We came back in after dark, washed up and ate. Cigarettes are great for gifts or as thank you's for little things. Camera and batteries. I got a couple of adaptor plugs for the South African plugs and took a AA battery charger that worked on 110 or 220. Ditto for the video camera. A way to carry your ammo with it clinking - belt carrier or buttstock carrier? Sunglasses. Gloves are nice for cold mornings or to push thornbrush out of the way. Small binoculars, sunscreen, insect repellent (Avon stuff worked well), chapstick, warm jacket and hat for mornings and evenings, lightweight boots. Possibly a rangefinder, depending on what type of country you are hunting.

Fanny pack, rather than a day pack. Day packs get snagged by all the thorns on everything.

You really need remarkably little - just enough for a day hike, twice. I took way too much stuff, especially clothes. The staff appreciated everyting I left, though!

Good cushioned sox for long stalks---some terrain can be steep and rocky, other sandy.
T-shirts and caps for staff gifts and candy for the children are always appreciated, maybe a good knife for tracker or skinner.
As for animal list, for a first Safari, I always reccommend PG only. In SA or Nam, always include both Gemsbok and Kudu even if you have to give up something on a package deal. With 40 species available in both countries, you can shoot more than you can afford really quickly! If you see a Klipspringer, Steenbok, Duiker or Cape Grysbok, shoot it! They are hard to hunt when going specifically after them!
You will have a "blast"

I didn't take anything special as far as cloths, just regular hunting stuff and hunted in shorts most days. Plan to do the same again. A light windbreaker would be nice for the morning rides out from camp, they can be a little chilly. A pair of short gaiters might be nice to keep the stickers out of your socks, but I didn't find it that much of a problem last time.

I think a lot of people get pretty worked up over things they must take along for any hunting trip. I basically take as little as possible. Right now its looking like the wife and I will be sharing a suitcase again. I'm half tempted to take my bow again.

You might find out how many staff your PH has, and take along some cheap gifts like T-shirts, baseball caps, candy, etc.

I don't remember is your wife going? If so make sure she has a good pair of bino's to use as well.

Check to make sure your camera chargers work on 220/50hz. The plug in adapter for RSA is diffrent than any others I've seen. I'm going to take a small power strip along as well so I can charge all the crap at once. Might look into a cigarette lighter adapter for the chargers if you dont' have one. At least you'd have a back up.

I have a list of crap I'm taking, I think I sent it to you a while ago, but not sure if you got it or not. I can send it again if you want.

Back